The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Does it ever help to tell an audience, "Tough Crowd..."??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
I tell the audience that they're gonna have to pipe down.

Works every single time.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I had a gig at Sydneys comedy store, the guys before me were funny and the emcee was particularly funny (He looked a bit like Billy Connely and at one stage he came out in a pink fluffy neglige) but the crowd was ABSOLUTELY SILENT!!!
I have NEVER seen such a tough crowd, ever.
Anyway, I went on and did a couple of things to no response and then I asked the audience "So do you guys have much experience as a crowd?"
It didn't get the audience laughing, but all the comics in the back of the room cracked up! I'm sure that helped because my next bit not only got a HUGE laugh from the audience but they also broke into spontaneous applause.
The upshot being - if you're in the right room it can help to turn things around (or not).
Cheers
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I've always thought making a decent joke out of the silence was the better bet. The timing is important here, I find you need that "pause and look" approach. Here's some of mine:

Pause, look down, and—"Hmm, this can't be a dream, because I'm not in my Spiderman underoos... (Or pink boxershorts, sister's leotards, lederhosen, naked, pick your favourite.)

Pause, look around at the walls, and—"You know, I think I can actually hear the paint drying!"

Pat or rub your ear or ears, and then—"The doctor warned me—if I did this trick again, I could go deaf!" This one works with faint applause as well.

"They told me that trick would just kill an audience, but I didn't really mean to do it!"

Shock, then peer out at the audience sheltering your eyes with your hand (good if you have bright stage lights)—"That one backfired—I think I made the audience disappear!"

If you know a phrase or two in another language, then—"Wait a minute... this isn't the Japanese show, is it? Wakarimaska?"

For a solo clapper: "Thanks mom!", or "Ladies and Gentlemen—my mother!" This is much funnier if the solo clapper does a loud obnoxious hoot or whistle.
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Remember that we are dealing with todays generation and the TV is their main source of entertainment.

They do not applaud to the artist on TV and so in a theatre have to be educated as to how to react.

We therefore at times need to educate then that a reaction is required - even if it is just to get up and leave. LOL

We can do this by interacting with them and eliciting a response from them to questions or actions.

They then will realise that they are not watching TV.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Paula, I can't remember whose line it is but someone uses something along the line of, "This isn't television folks...interaction is encouraged."

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Does it ever help to tell an audience, "Tough Crowd..."??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL