The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Limitations for escapologist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Oge
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Oge
Is there any limitations being an escape artist to play other magic tricks?...or as an escape artist they have to doing magic tricks and related to escapologist.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
You're only limited by the image you wish to project.

Magician - Escape Artists abound and do very well. Combining the two is traditional and very much accepted.

Excusive Escape Artists abound, and do very well.

When busking, I operate as an Escape Artist, but also do rope tricks to help build a crowd. Since ropes and escapes are related, it works without my having to stray too far into straight magic. I would not, however, have any qualms about doing straight magic and escapes in the same show.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Steve is right.

I find the audience is not too surprised to discover the escape artist is also a magician.

Regards

Riley
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I like to keep my escapes away from magic as much as possible. Although I have nothing against the two being done together (I use to have a regular gig doing close-up) I don't really see myself as a magician. Although I do use magicial techniques at times during my routines, but you can hardly refer to them as being slights. I generally combine my escapes with stuff like fire a chainsaw juggling so that if you asked a member of the crowd that has seen me perform (hopefully) they will tell you that they have seen someone push the boundaries of human endurance rather than seen a magician.

I have, however, performed mental effects with escapes in a close-up situation. This mainly consisted of metal bending ala Uri Geller which I thought would help give the audience false methods as to how I got out of the cuffs and opened the padlocks. Whether this psychology actually works I don't know. I do know that most people still love to see forks and spoons bend and if you can do their car key too, then they will freak and love you. So I keep this in my routine anyway.

But as has already been said, it all depends on what you want to be percieved as. Think of Derren Brown. Is he a magician? A mentalist? Most people actualy believe he is doing what he says he does, and that's to read people, their body language etc. Some actually think he is a hypnotist. He creates false methods so that in the minds of the audience he is not tricking or fooling them, he is just a very gifted person. Which indeed he is.

I hope my ramblings make sense to someone.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Oge
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Oge
Thanks to tou all...thats giving me a lot of new idea..thanks
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

I once saw a performer who advertized as a "Mime Clown and Escape Artist."

Anything is possible.

Steve
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Black T-shirt= Escape Artist

Quick Change to

White-T-shirt= Magic segment

(or vice versa)

Dr Stephan: Back in the 60's I used to be able to hold the edge by doing some escapes and then when finished and the hat completed..tell the departing 'guests' there was more and a different show
in a few minutes and then do a magic routine...during the 'break' I would fast change shirts and bring out a Dove to sit on my shoulder while the tip gathered (hopefully)...the fems loved to see the bird (almost as good as a puppy!)

I only did it a few times in SF then had to move to Aklaska for other work so I didn't get a real feel for if it was a good idea or not...but it seemed to work and retain some of the edge and maybe gather a different element of folk.

What do you think?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I think there comes a point when an escape looks like a magic prop. Example: I did an escape from a guillotine that was built from unpainted 2x4's on a thick wood platform containing chains and shackles. It looked ungimicked and real. On the other hand, I have a fancy black one with a fancy looking top. It looks very mysterious and just like a magic prop.
I would suggest that if you use both magic and escapes in a show, don't use the escapes that look "tricky" or like a magic prop. I also like a magic show featuring an escape more than I would do an escape show featuring a magic trick. Reason: a magic show has vanishes , productions, mentalism, levitations, manipulation where an escape show has escapes....
Just my opinion
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Like so many others I have done both as well I think that the "purists" that I have run into would say that Magic and Escape do not belong together. But then how do you explain the success of some of today’s biggest entertainers David and Lance just to name two both of whom have done escapes in there Magic shows. I think that you have to find a happy medium when combining the two and decide am I a Magician that is doing an Escape or am I an Escape Artist doing some Magic, or are you an Entertainer playing the part of the aforementioned. I look at it like this I am an Entertainer that has skills in many fields within the performing arts. I like Escapes and enjoy showing them, but I Love Magic and showing it. Do what makes you happy just be safe.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
In the UK there are few if any pure escape acts (By act it is supposed that the booker has engaged you to do a twenty or forty min performance as an escapologist) So, in the eyes of the booker to incorporate magic tricks would be failure of contract as booking a magician (Much cheaper)who did a bit of escapology would have been the next best thing !!
So to know how you want to be perceived governs the content of performance.

When I am booked as an escapologist, that`s what they get, a twenty or thirty spot of escapes only.

If the booker is useing the escapologist for promotion (This is very common over here) Then a single, very dareing !!! escape complete with all the hype is all that is offered, the fee in this case is very high,and rightly so.

To mix and mingle magic with escapes will look to be a Jack of all trades and master of none, which will also be reflected in the fee`s available. To separate the escapes, biuld the illusion that you are a truly pro escapist will upgrade you as an escapist and keep the fee in line with the true value of escapology.

There is the exception to this rule. Street Entertainment, where anything goes, providing your punters like you, and fill your hats.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Escape props should always look unadorned and real.

I would add that there are a great many "magic boxes" and other props magicians use that would be more convincing done in simple, stained wood, instead of painted up like a box of lollipops, but I digress.

I disagree with the "jack of all trades" analogy, though I, like many others, do like to do escapes as a stand-alone feature. For examples of performers who successfully mixed magic and escapology: Houdini, Hardeen, Murray, The Amazing Randi, Andre Kole, Milbourne Christopher, Lance Burton, Barry Yiengst, The Great Weiss. I know there are many more.

It has been my experience that the average layman associates escapology with magic, largely because of Houdini.

Steve
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I agree that many great performers have mixed the two but feel that for maximum impact escapes should and can stand alone.Take the Lance Burton TV escape, would it not have been enhanced by standing alone, Brown with the Russian Roulette routine did just that and whole programs just on this stunt followed through, such a shame he overplayed and flopped this great trick with the follow up exposures.
Still tis good to differ and I respect all opinions. Ken.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Personally, I would like to see escape artists definitively identified with such things as stuntmen and adventure heroes.

Unfortunately, Houdini and illusionists who present "escape illusions" have pretty much nixed that possibility. I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Strictly escape performances in a "stunt" context and Guinness records have helped some, but not nearly enough.

People still look at the handcuffs and chains and ask "So, are you going to do some MAGIC?"

Steve
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Steve,

It was my training as a stunt man that allowed me
to brake away from the magician doing escapes to the
escape artist I am today!I was vice president of the
Independent Stuntmens Association of Hollywood from
1977 to 1981. It was my work in films, mostly
westerns from 1959 to 1964, that gave me the knowledge
to create my signature stunt-escapes that broght me
fame!Nearly all of my tv spots were live,full view
ESCAPES(stunts)!!! Check out my Dick Clark DVD !

Steve Baker,MR. ESCAPE
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Magic, Illusionist, Mentalist, Escape Artist, As Todays Market so Flooded, It matters Little what Billing you use as long as you get the Job done as a professional , but then again this also means very little unless you Get The Job !! in the first Place

Steve Baker aka Mr Escape Always got the JOB ! & was a "Pro ' in getting it Done !

Congratulation's Steve Baker on being Voted # 1 Escape Artist in America !

MICHAEL LEE

P.S. Where can someone find a really good "Knife thru arm" Illusion ? ha , ha
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Where was this Voting taken place. and who all Voted.
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
I believe the only limitation is the "mind" itself. If you can concieve it, You can believe it. If you can believe it, You can achieve it.

Red Von
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello all

Roslyn, Shame on you , The bending gag is Uri's it's how he made his name & People truly believe in him My personal feeling is if you do it it only Makes Uri look 10 times more 'Real" & makes You look like nothing more than a Magician who stole Gellar's gag.

This is indeed the problem with Escape Artist) & magicians) ...two Titles I use loosly as there are very few Escape Artist & EVEN fewer magicians.

Yes...it is I am Sorry to say........... Easy to get hold of magic / Escape props & materials....but again these will not make you in to a seasones performer!

So how does one go about this......... 4 simple letters
W O R K ................ This question has been answered here
keep looking...... and

Good luck

ML
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hello Everyone, this is my first posting.

Like most of you already here, I have a lifetime of magical experiences; it was my first love of performing. A couple years later I took an interest in escapes, too. Today, as a busker, I focus primarily on escapes... but of course, the old tricks are still in there somewhere.

With escapes, I try my best to not use gimmicked props. I don't know why, really. I guess it has more to do with how I feel about myself than anything else. I truly love the challenge, like a good game of chess. I also teach karate, so I guess I am more in tune with my body than most people. It doesn't bother me to see other guys using gimmicks, though, except when they outright lie about it to the audience. That always miffs me to no end.

Thanks for allowing to me give that little introduction. Now more to the question at hand:

Personally, I do not mix magic and escapes in the same show, unless there are distinct parts to my show -- eg, a magic section, a break, and then an escape section. Mainly for the reason that I don't want to give the audience a reason to compare my escapes to magic tricks -- which they aren't.

My (first) 2 cents here.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Chance

Welcome to the Café, although just at the moment you might need a gum shoe Smile it should settle down again soon!!

Riley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Limitations for escapologist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL