The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A staff or not a staff that is the question... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
As per my Wizard post would a staff be too intimidating for a kids show??
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The biggest problem with a staff is that you have to put it somewhere during your show. You can't always count on a wall or corner to stick it in and if you lay it on the floor you'll probably end up triping over it. You'd probably want something like a flag stand to put it in which means, besides the staff you've got one more thing to carry in. It might look cool if you were just walking around but unless you know a lot of tricks you can do with one hand I'd leave it at home.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I do not know about you, but I keep thinking about a appearing 6 foot pencil! Would not be to difficult to make an appearing/disappearing staff, then you would not have to worry about what to do with it during your show.

Kevin Smile
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Good Idea!!
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I use a "10 foot" pole in my "Harry Potter" shows, It's my "Office Staff" which always gets a giggle from the adults.
There easy to produce but not so easy to vanish, unless somebody out there knows something I don't, which is more than likely.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
I'm pretty certain that I've seen an appearing/disappearing pole being marketed, woodgrain finish and all! I think Wayne Rogers (The Amazing Chicane) makes them and I've seen his stuff in US dealers catalogs - check them out.

Alternatively, a real solid staff could be just the thing to keep that troublesome brat (there's always at least one) busy - say: "Stand over there and hold this!" You can keep him there as honorary staff holder throughout the show if you want!

If you use bamboo for your staff, you could probably gimmick it with lots of magical ideas - magnets, flash units, smoke pots, sliding weight pulls - the possibilities are amazing when you think of it. If you're going to carry around a big stick, it might as well make itself useful!
BTW wasn't it Winston Churchill who said: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick'? Can you think of a better motto for a childrens entertainer!

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
I just came across a discussion on the Finger/Stage Manipulation forum about cane spinning. It's actually about spinning a staff around your limbs and body. It'd probably be insane to try that in someones lounge or anywhere that the kids are too close (especially if you haven't quite got the hang of it!) but at the right time and place I bet it'd look way cool!

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Kool Kat
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
25 Posts

Profile of Kool Kat
"Alternatively, a real solid staff could be just the thing to keep that troublesome brat (there's always at least one) busy - say: "Stand over there and hold this!""

Careful, Bill - giving a troublemaker a big stick! Once at one of my birthday parties, I gave out the rhythm instruments to the kids when we were doing a song (tambourines, shakers, wooden rhythm sticks). Well, the kid next to the birthday kid immediately hit the birthday kid over the head with his stick! Screams and pandemonium with two kids crying (one after his mom took the sticks off him)!

The mother of the other kid was embarrassed and I'm sure she blamed me (how can I help it if someone brings up their kid without the self-discipline to stop them beating up on other kids?). The kids settled down and the show continued without further mishap, but it was a tense few minutes.

Cheers,
Kath Worsfold Smile
Bill & Kath Worsfold
Kiwi Entertainers
http://www.billkath.co.nz
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
WELL KATH IT WAS YOUR FAULT... Smile Good point. I think I will do an appearing staff. I do an appearing wand in my H. Potter show.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4187 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 19:14, Payne wrote:
I use a "10 foot" pole in my "Harry Potter" shows, It's my "Office Staff" which always gets a giggle from the adults.
There easy to produce but not so easy to vanish, unless somebody out there knows something I don't, which is more than likely.

Use a paper shredder.

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Philemon -- you are evil Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all

Bill...You said...

"I just came across a discussion on the Finger/Stage Manipulation forum about cane spinning. It's actually about spinning a staff around your limbs and body"

I have performed a lot of staff manipulation routines and trained in martial arts and stage staff. If you fancy learning staff manipulations/spinning I am here to help. It is one of my specialitys Smile

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Appearing 10 foot pole:

http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=504

$38.40.

To ditch it just turn your back to the audience and roll it up when you are loading your other goods. Having a tall hat/wizard hat helps hide this action.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A staff or not a staff that is the question... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL