We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Believe it or not... Ľ Ľ Balloon Up Nose/Out The Mouth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have been working on this. I can get the balloon up my nose ala "blockhead", but I can't get the stupid thing to go down my the back of my throat and out of my mouth. Can anyone give advice as to how to get this to work? Smile
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
You just have to grab it and pull. I still throw up sometimes when I do it. When you have pushed it down far enough, you can look into a mirror and see it at the back of your throat. It also seems to be one of those tricks that works better when you are standing in front of people. It's harder to throw up when peopel are watching.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
But the problem is that I can't get it to go down the back of my throat. It goes up into where a nail goes when doing "Blockhead". Smile
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
Um, I don't mean to be a downer but did you ask Todd Robbins if you could do the stunt he originated?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The "Mental-Floss" effect and several variations have been around a lot longer than Todd Robbins. Smile
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
Agreed, so when Todd was creative enough to start doing it with a balloon we should all admire him for a job well done. Perhaps it should then inspire us to try and come up with our own variation...

I tried to do it with a glow necklace myself. Too bad they were too stiff to bend as it would have been an incredable visual effect. The Lizard Man is doing a great variation as well where he shines a light out his mouth through a crystal ball. The "human lighthouse". Ses Carney is doing a human drinking straw. Super cool.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There were a number of people hammering nails into their nose before Melvin Burkhart came along. He brought something special to it and made it a stand alone act that became known as the Human Blockhead or the Blockhead Act. I learned how to do the skill years before I met Melvin. When I found out that he was the guy, I asked him permission to continue doing the act. He said yes without any hesitation. He said that to anyone that wanted to do Blockhead and even allowed people to do his routine word for word.

In the spirit of Melvin, I have tried to be gracious when people have asked permission to do the balloon in the nose. All they have to do is ask. Iím not thrilled by the idea that people are now putting it on instructional videos without asking me, but Iím not surprised by this. The whole reason I did the Stevenís Magic video was to document what I do, as bits a pieces of my act were finding their way into the performance of others.

Itís true that people were shoving limp objects up their nose long before I started doing the balloon bit. I remember as a kid seeing Catholic boys snorting the chain from St. Christopher medals up their noses and pulling them out of their mouths, fastening the ends of the chain and running the loop. And kids have gotten nasal with spaghetti even before Marco Polo brought noodles back from the Far East.

What I brought to it was using a balloon. And Iíve done it thousands of times in live performance and on TV. Iím not the end all and be all of sideshow skills, but regardless of how anyone rationalizes it, the only reason anyone is shoving a balloon up their nose is because I did it first and have done it a lot publicly.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2529 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
the only reason anyone is shoving a balloon up their nose is because I did it first and have done it a lot publicly.

Plus the fact that it is a fantastic rountine, very visual with the bulb switching ends, and extremely funny, the "balloon animal/tadpole" bit is hilarious!!!

s
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Thanks. As I look at my post, that last line reads like I'm a most arrogant jerk. That was not my intention. I owe a lot to the people who came before me and do what I can to pay tribute to them. I strive to do this by thanking them in person if they are still around and often mention them in the routines I do. I have also tried to honor them by doing what I can to put my own spin on things and thus carry on the traditions.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
The first reference I ever saw for "Head-Fossing" was in an very old book at a very good library when I was about 10 (say 1945) it was a book about Hindu behavior and the flossing and loop was for hygienic care... What's new?
Also it detailed swallowing yards of fabric to clean the stomach... Now there's an act!
Slim

[quote]On 2004-08-06 23:51, dpe666 wrote:
But the problem is that I can't get it to go down the back of my throat. It goes up into where a nail goes when doing "Blockhead". Smile
Todd has the best answer for you... With a balloon, make a tadpole. it makes the balloon just ridgid enough to control. Then "snuff" and the end will head down into the throat... Look a little into anatomy, there's plenty on the 'net, and if you want to do this stuff it is worth some effort... Start with inferior nasal turbinates for a key!
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Slim,
Get back into bed. Don't me send a nurse over there to spank you. Seriously, it's good to see you again online. We need you around for at least a few more decades.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Todd, my wife, Krista just called you a sweetie! Watch it!
You are the best, by the way....
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
You do know that I married a Krista also! I recommend it for everyone.

Todd
darkp0is3n
View Profile
New user
Texas
58 Posts

Profile of darkp0is3n
When I do the baloon trick, I just snort it all and hack it all up in one little cough and it just folds out of my mouth...I guess not having a gag relfex is what enables me to do that...but I seriously doubt theres many people with a gag reflex in the sideshow business...
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Quote:
On 2004-08-08 11:51, Todd Robbins wrote:
What I brought to it was using a balloon. And Iíve done it thousands of times in live performance and on TV. Iím not the end all and be all of sideshow skills, but regardless of how anyone rationalizes it, the only reason anyone is shoving a balloon up their nose is because I did it first and have done it a lot publicly.

Firstly, an apology to Todd. I had no idea that you were the first person to perform this stunt, I perform it quite often, but if I had been away that you had taken it on stage so long before me I would have asked for your approval first, I did know others were performing it, yourself included, but I thought it was an old standard rather than a something pioneered by yourself. So, my apologies to you Mr Robbins!

In my defence I would like to say that when I first tried mental flossing with a balloon (about 10 years ago), I had never seen or heard of anyone else doing it. Apart from my own routine I have only ever seen photos of others performing this stunt, so my routine can be nothing more than my own as well. However, when I first tried it, it was for a dare at a party, and I never for a second thought of performing it until years later. And even then only after being reminded of it by seeing photos of Todd and others others using it in their acts. So my thanks go to you for that.

To try and answer the question in this. I think its just something you have to get used too. Personally I inflate the balloon after its gone all the way through, so I have to snort it through my nose and into my throat, but its really a matter of overcoming the bodies responses to what it percieves as an 'attack'.

Have fun

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
Does anyone happen to know who the first person was to do it with a condom? Lots of people have copied that as well and just for the sake of having the knowledge it may be good to find out who it was. Anybody know?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
This could easily be an error, but I think the first time I saw the condom used was by Eric Sprague when he was with Jim Rose.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Before Erik, Matt Crowley was doing a condom with Jim Rose.
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
At school kids do this all the time with chains and things like that, pretty grose. Ive never tried it but I do blockhead and love it!
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
darkp0is3n
View Profile
New user
Texas
58 Posts

Profile of darkp0is3n
Watch out what you do at school, it can come back to haunt you. I once did a few acts at school (blockhead, mental floss, and human pincoushin) and they threatened to expell me and all that good stuff...so be careful yzet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Believe it or not... Ľ Ľ Balloon Up Nose/Out The Mouth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL