The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Pass - -- (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
There has been an ongoing discussion about passes.

Check out:

http://www.harveyrosenthal.com

Do your passes look that good?
pwagorn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of pwagorn
geez. i love that stuff. about as close to transcending into 'real' magic as it gets! Smile
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
The only pass there I like is the Square Up pass. The others "Like Very Fair Pass" are not so good because the audience could 'very fairly' suspect something is fishy.

Randy, do you think the Square Up Pass he is doing is actually cutting the deck? It still puzzles me.
pwagorn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of pwagorn
yes, i agree - the rest are suspect, but that square up pass is great... does anyone have a source for it?
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Harvey welcomes e-mails right on the same page . . .
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
I never got a reply when e-mailed...
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
After waiting how many days for a reply?
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
Quote:
On 2002-08-08 03:38, RandyWakeman wrote:
After waiting how many days for a reply?

It's been about 2 weeks or so.. he's probably a busy guy, or quite possibly my message wasn't received. I complemented him on his card handling skills and asked him if he would be willing to share where he got the handling for that pass from.

Maybe some other people will have more success.
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
wow Smile the square up pass was amazing
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I have witnessed Harvey perform the passes in person and although he may not respond to e-mails, he can do many passes and he does them very well.
ME
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't understand any of these passes. I do the turnover pass, the classic pass, and thinking about the spread pass.

I use misdirection for all of them and would not consider doing otherwise because mine don't look like harvey's (or any of those i see on clips).

I use the classic pass when I want the spectator to think I'm doing nothing with the deck. That's the only time I use it.

I also only respect the clips to a certain degree becuause they don't ever show any angle except the "best one".

I use a deep break for the pass but i'm wondering if this is bad practice. should I back off and practice with a smaller one if i'm going to get better. I also do not curl my first finger on top of the deck as some recommend. does this matter?

I also think that muscle training is essential for speed.

so I guess what i'm wondering is this. These good passes that I see, are they as good as they look because of a speed factor, e.g., you don't see it because it's fast?

Or is it more of using the right angles at the right time.

some of these look too good to be true. I'm impressed.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magic333
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magic333
The square up pass was amazing!
tylergrey
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of tylergrey
yeah, the square up was good. there is some nice card work there. Smile Smile
tylergrey
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of tylergrey
yeah, the square up was good. there is some nice card work there. Smile Smile
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I really liked Ammar's thoughts on the pass.

Quote:

Others, however, see the pass as a 'rite of passage'. This type of magician doesn't see the pass as a tool, but as a way of distinguishing those who are 'really serious' from those who are not. So this magician works on the pass for different reasons. Having invested the time to put this move into his own repertoire, he then tries to establish the pass as THE ONE MOVE that PROVES he is a REAL magician.

The bottom line: if the magic you want to perform requires you use the pass, then you can, and should, master the pass. But remember what makes the pass invisible isn't speed alone - it depends on the mind just as much as it does on the eyes.

A lot of guys use the Classic Pass to control one card - which is like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Why move all 52 cards to get the one? I much prefer the Hofzinser Spread Control, because you only move the one card, and use the other 51 cards as cover.

The rest of his article is here for those who want to read the whole thing...

http://www.ammarmagic.com/shoul.html
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
I love seeing the pass performed so well. Harvey's look great. I've been wrangling with it for sometime, but only use it under cover of misdirection. Just not strong enough with it at the moment to do it "burning". Love the move though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Pass - -- (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL