The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The New Timing is Everything by Tony Clark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Can anyone give me a review of this video?

I'm particularly interested in knowing what, specifically, the actual footage of Slydini consists of (how long, what effects are performed, quality of the video, etc).

Thanks for any info.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3732 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I also would like a review of this tape especially pertaining to misdirection for lapping.

Thank you very much.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Magicinsight:
Apparently not a lot of people are interested in this one (which I find surprising).

I was able to find a review here:
http://allmagic.com/spin/spins/clarkslydini.html

If you're interested in lapping, it may be right up your alley.

I went ahead and bought it. Still watching the mailbox.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I am very interested in this video, and will probably be purchasing it soon. Did yours arrive yet Bob?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3732 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Bob,

Thanks for the link. I will definitley get this DVD. I am surprised it has not gotten more attention. Perhaps it is not "sexy" enough like a metal bending video to capture people's attention.

Best regards,

MI
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
My copy arrived in the mail a few days ago.

I must say that honestly the main reason I decided to buy this was just to see Slydini on film. I've been trying for a very long time to get my hands on the Cavett show footage, all to no avail. Scarcer than hens teeth!

Every once in a while someone is selling Slydini video on ebay, but I've been outbid and/or scared off by negative feedback for the seller (someone called "voyant100" has been selling dvds for $39 starting bid, but he has way too much back feedback for my comfort).

Anyway, the Clark video has 2 short clips of Slydini: one where he performs his Paper Balls to Box trick, and another short clip of him performing his Homing cigarette trick (I think its called that...Clark actually teaches a different version with matches and another with sugar packets). For ME, these little clips were worth more than the price of the dvd.

MI: if you are interested in lapping, I think you will like this. The majority of the effects (all but one, if I remember correctly) are performed sitting and use that method. Clark emphasizes the use of misdirection (as Slydini taught him) to make that method effective.

If you own any of the Slydini books and would like to see some of the tricks performed by a student of his (plus a few clips of the master himself) you might want to check this out.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Good review Bob. I am a fan of Tony Clark and also of Slydini, I guess I can't really go wrong with this video. You mentioned that all of the effects used lapping. Can the misidrection ideas that Tony teaches be applied to other effects, or is it specific to lapping?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3732 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Bob,

Thank yuo very much for your review. It was very helpful. I have ordered it today. Some people get turned off by lapping as being "old fashion." I think it is a very powerful tool, if done correctly. If you have the Johnny Thompson tapes/DVDs, Mr. Thompson does a bit of lapping with his coin routines. His routines are basic and classic and entertaining. You don't need to find a signed card in a can of corn to entertain people. I personally like performers such as Johnny Thompson and Don Alan. Their effects are classic and they are professional in every sense of the word.
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Danny: Slydini's ideas on misdirection can certainly be applied to all of your magic.

Here's a good thread that touches on this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

MI: I think you and I have the same taste... Johnny Thompson's "Commercial Classics" videos are my top of the list favorites! And I don't get the aversion to lapping either: when the circumstances permit, I think it can be extremely powerful.

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The New Timing is Everything by Tony Clark (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL