The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magic Magazine Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
Hey again. I was just browsing through Magic Magazine From July. Now I know that July is gone, but I haven't got around to posting this topic yet. There is a Gaff in there called Overlap. I wont discuss the details here, but the whole talk about tricks section is dedicated to it. All of the routines in there are good, but one really struck my fancy. It is known as card jack king. The effect is that the four jacks are displayed face down. One by one they turn face up. As the final card is turned face up, the cards turn into kings. Seems reminiscent of NFW in a way. I've included a performance of it on my web-space. http://home.earthlink.net/~cpskatemaster

P.S. sorry about the lack of patter. It feels awkward talking to a computer, and I haven't had time to devise some for this effect yet. Oh yeah, Pump your volume, because the clip recorded really low.
Brandon Harper
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, Texas
207 Posts

Profile of Brandon Harper
Try looking in "Focus" by Phil Goldstein. He has an effect that is very similar to the one that you perform except that I think his is a much cleaner handling. He even has a second part to the trick that allows you to "repeat" it with a very visual final change. I'm sorry, byt I can't remember the name of the two effects.
kcgroves
View Profile
New user
Colorado
15 Posts

Profile of kcgroves
Another trick very similar to this one is Ultra Collectors. Three cards are selected and then the 10's are placed face up on top of the deck. The tens are then spread and the three selected cards are sandwiched between them. It is an excellent effect.
In every smile there is always magic!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Marc DeSouza has a similar handling in his book "DeCeptions."
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Stefan Rupar
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Stefan Rupar
Any effect which uses several partial cards printed on one card is too hincky for me to perform. Let's say you are displaying on the table the tri-partrate card with a normal card spaced with the other three (?).

Just the slightest (no pun intended) flick of your fingernail on the normal card to cause a realignment, even if ever so small, will cause your ego to go home.

Most of these Burling Hull type gimmicks have been in magic kits for years and I've never seen any of the so-called Masters using any of these gimmicks.

A few years ago the well respected Bob Kohler marketed an effect called Aces In Your Faces.

Similar gimmicks were used, and Michael Close raved about the effect. Unfortunately, you only show half of each ace before it is vanished. An improvement on McDonald's? Give me a break.

I put these things in my magic drawer faster than Thurston hurled cards.
TheGrimReaper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of TheGrimReaper
I know that is seems kind of hokey to use a several indexed card, but I have found ways around it. For instance, I knew preforming this little trick on a table wouldnt do, so I came up with a switch that lets you display all four cards front and back. I also made several other adjustments to it, like the pass used in there, the original effect had you start off with the gaff. I will make a vid of it when I have the chance. I think my variation is much better, but I need to find a way to move my webcam into a room with a close table to display my version.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magic Magazine Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL