The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Selling magic at garage sales or flea markets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. When you guys sell your used props or tricks, do you take them to only magic flea markets or has anyone tried selling their stuff at garage sales or flea markets open to public where other things besides magic will be sold? Also, if you did this, was your magic for "serious buyers only" and did you demo the effect before someone bought it or was interested in it?
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
gibby357
View Profile
Veteran user
The Woodlands, TX
344 Posts

Profile of gibby357
I have never heard of a magic Flea Market, if you know of any, please let me know. As far as regular garage sales etc, the only time I have ever seen magic for sale is when a relative dies and they are getting rid of the stuff. There is usually no demo (they don't have a clue what it is) and no instructions either. I have never sold any magic other than this board and Ebay. Oh by the way, this is probably in the wrong place, not sure where it would go, but once there, you may get more responses.

gibby
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Gibby ,

Most of the local magic circles have these sort of sales. if you look around they have annual Sale/Exchange day or an auction where everbody can bring their stuff and sell or exchange. Keep reading genii magazine and you'll know more about these type of magic flea markets.

Selling magic in a "public" flea Market or as they call in England a "Car Boot Sale" is a diffrent ball of game and personaly I don't like it. I know few chaps who sell pro magic trick in a public market and some of other members in their local circle have grown a dislike for them.

It's OK to have a regular stall at these markets and sell the type of tricks every joke shop in the corner has but selling "Pro Magic" in a open flea market is not my thing.
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
I once saw a magic dealer who had set up at a big flea market at the local state fairgrounds. He wasn't selling a thing - in fact, I was the only person who stopped the entire morning. Most people would glance down, say something like "oh. its magic stuff." and keep walking.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I have never found any Magic items or books at a yard sale (and I go to many). I would love to find some Magic at yard sales because I just can't afford to purchase new props at a Magic dealer.
I would like to get me the "Strat-O-Sphere's" but $80 to $100.00 is too high a price for me to fork over.
I understand that a big part of the price is the purchase of the "secret" but having owned this effect in the past I don't need to purchase the secret, just the props (preferably without the stupid box).
I have no problem with someone selling Magic at a yard sale, after all anyone can walk into a Magic shop or go online to purchase Magic. Most people would not buy anything Magical unless they had an interest in Magic or was purchasing a gift for someone who is into Magic.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3702 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2004-08-10 18:43, Eric Rose wrote:
I once saw a magic dealer who had set up at a big flea market at the local state fairgrounds. He wasn't selling a thing - in fact, I was the only person who stopped the entire morning. Most people would glance down, say something like "oh. its magic stuff." and keep walking.

That was the same experience I had when I visited a flea market here. No one was buying anything.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The formula that works for selling magic to the general public is to have a very limited selection of items that look good when demonstrated. If they are not demonstrated, they just don't sell. The formula works at a fair (Svengali pitch and other slum magic) or in those wonderful Magic Masters shops in which they pitch Linking Rings and coin gaffs to physicians and lawyers who are in town for conventions.

As for selling your used props, there are good suggestions so far in this thread.

Yours,

Paul
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I can't believe eBay has only been mentioned once.
eBay - the world's garage sale.

Regards,
Regards,
Eric
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Quote:
On 2004-08-11 06:31, irossall wrote:
I have never found any Magic items or books at a yard sale (and I go to many). I would love to find some Magic at yard sales because I just can't afford to purchase new props at a Magic dealer.
I would like to get me the "Strat-O-Sphere's" but $80 to $100.00 is too high a price for me to fork over.
I understand that a big part of the price is the purchase of the "secret" but having owned this effect in the past I don't need to purchase the secret, just the props (preferably without the stupid box).
I have no problem with someone selling Magic at a yard sale, after all anyone can walk into a Magic shop or go online to purchase Magic. Most people would not buy anything Magical unless they had an interest in Magic or was purchasing a gift for someone who is into Magic.
Iven Smile

You can get it for $60 at:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=510

Shane Wiker
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
There is a regular Magic Boot sale here in the UK.

Never been (a bit too far away), but have heard that it consists mainly of dealers, with a few magis clubbing together to pay for a stand and selling their old effects.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
mattmann101
View Profile
New user
Blackburn, Lancashire (of 4000 holes)
27 Posts

Profile of mattmann101
Could you tell me where this is in the UK? Though I'm gonna guess that it's too far away for me, still there's always a chance!

Cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Selling magic at garage sales or flea markets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL