The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How can I tell the sex of a dove? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
What are the signs I should look for?

Thanks

James
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
There are no external differences between male and female doves, therefore a guaranteed sex indicater is impossible, except by blood test or endoscopic examination. However, there are some signs that might help you distinguish the sex.

Males are proportionatly larger with a thicker neck and larger head. They are generally more agressive and tend to do more cooing and dancing. While females do coo, they usually do not do so as frequently or as long as males, and they seldom dance as the males do.

Another popular way is called vent sexing. At the base of the bird's breastbone there are 2 vent bones. They run perpendicular to the base of the breastbone and parallel to the anus. These bones are spaced farther apart on female doves to allow for easy passage of eggs into the uterus.

Only a qualified avian veterinarian can carry out a endoscopic exam. The bird has to be given an anesthetic according to it's weight. It also cannot eat for several hours before the exam so the possiblity of regurgitation and suffication will be minimized. The majority of doves must be at least 10 months old before the sex glands are developed enough to distinguish during an endoscopic exam, so if you want a young dove, this won't help anyway.

The other way is a blood test. It requires no anesthetic and is a non-invasive proceedure. All that is required is a single drop of blood. There are only a few laboritories that carry out this test. If you know a good avian veterinarian, you might ask where it could be done.

Information might still be available directly from:

Avian Sexing Laboratory
6551 Stage Oaks Drive, Suite 3A
Bartlett, Tennessee 38134

Or from:

Zoogen Incorperated
1105 Kennedy Place, Suite 4
Davis, California 95616

Bob Sanders, Dave Scribner, and some others that are more experienced than me may know of some other ways.

Hope this helps,

Regan
Mister Mystery
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Place the dove on your finger. If the tail feathers droop down and in, I have found well over 90% of my doves to be male.

If the tail feathers are remain horizontal or point up then, my doves were females in most instances.

This might sound hokey, but a very experienced dove worker in Mexico taught me this method of observance.

I didn't believe it, but I had a few doves with known sexes to test out his method. It was correct in each case.

I really enjoyed your data Regan! Thank you so much!~r2
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5006 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've found that if I name the birds, I can be absolutely positive of the sex. For example, if I name a bird Pete, I am 100% sure that it will actually be Petricia. Smile Smile

Seriously, I never really cared whether my birds were male or female unless I was trying to mate them. ReyRey's tail solution, strange as it may seem does work most of the time. I have used Regan's method of checking the breast bone and so far, I've never been wrong.

I personally would not go through the expense of having them medically checked unless you have a compelling reason to know.
Where the magic begins
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
Thanks for all your help.

James
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Offer to buy it a drink?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
I think they have laws against that?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
OK this is my method, and it works for me, the females have pinkish feet the males have dark purpely feet. Im quite sure this is 100%proof, Bob, Dave what do you think?
Matt
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5006 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Matt: Pink feet are an indication of a young bird and doesn't have anything to do with it's sex. As a dove grows older, it's feet begin to turn color until they are a deep red almost brown.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How can I tell the sex of a dove? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL