The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dante (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I know there are a couple of clips of Dante on the Grand illusions of Magic DVD but does anyone know where I can get some videos of Dante performing. I have been fascinated by what I have read of his performances and would like to see him performing for more than just a few minutes. Thanks!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think the "You Asked for It" tapes have Dante on some of them. Bill McIlhaney (SP?) sell's em.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
There is an old Laurel and Hardy film called "A Haunting We Will Go" which has Dante as a co-star and shows some performing.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Thanks Peter! THanks Neale! I'll follow up with your referrals.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bill McIlhanny has the used asked for it segments of Dante and then get the Laurel & Hardy Film "A Haunting we will go". Also check the SAM Film library.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I have a copy of a silent 8mm film
with Dante, Thurston, Blackstone, Gwynne and I think Kellar along with others.

Its really neat.
I think its from someone's personal collection and I was able to get a copy.

Dad watches it and get emotional since he
was an assistant to Dante.
Very cool stuff.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Didn't know Dad worked with Dante. Was a one nighter or a season or what?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Dante was also in a film called Bunco Squad... This was one of those old crime busters movies or smashing the rackets kind of film.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Unfortunately, from everyone I've talked with who saw him in-person, Dante on film is nothing like the "live" Dante was on stage. Bill Larsen Jr. recreated parts of the Dante show on an "It's Magic" run in the late 1970's. There is a tape of it in the Magic Castle film library. This would give you a good idea of the look and sound of the Dante show because it is in color and with all of the original music performed by a great pit orchestra. (The "Lazy Magician" is particularly good and you'll understand why it was such a hit on Dante's show.)
If you're looking for the "real" Dante, about the closest on film to his stage persona is his performance of the Asrah levitation in "A Haunting We Will Go." Somehow, the illusion made it through un-cut. He's the only magician I've seen who had the guts to pass a hoop over the Asrah. (if you know the rigging, you'll know why it takes guts!) The thing that surprised me the most about Dante the first time I saw this clip was how high his voice was! You'd think that DANTE would have a deep, resonating voice - not so. (Another illusion shattered!) But he was truly one of the GREATS.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
My father was part of Dante's road show troop for a short while. I remember being told that he was one of the "doubles" for an illusion where he (or the other double) appeared hanging from a cage, possibly suspended over the heads audience.

I seem to recall my dad telling me that he also fed the lions.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The comment about Dante's voice was on the money.

I was also a bit surprised by Houdini's voice on a recording for a radio ad. It was a higher register than I expected, and had a touch of a W.C. Fields edge to it (probably due to the stage-based habit of over-enunciating; necessary for speaking onstage, but not for doing radio).

On the subject of voices, if you have ever seen the 1930 remake of "The Unholy Three," you will have noted that Lon Chaney's voice had a "George Raft" feel to it. Had he lived, he would have been a natural in gangster movies.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I remember going to an auction at "The Dante Ranch" years ago and I bought an Asrah Form that he had used.

I hung it in my apartment over my bed.

When I moved I forgot it was there... drove back the next day and the painters had already been there and IT WAS GONE... none of them would tell me where they tossed it.

Argh.... Smile Smile Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Discovered something interesting (to me): Dante's ranch was in Northridge CA.

I was born in Northridge in April, 1957; about a year and a half after Dante passed away.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
To Jimmy Joza. You might try lookinmg for Dante's Mysteries, a film he made in Sweden about 1930.Took me years to get a copy. Then you'll catch a meer glimpse of the sparkling, younger, Dante. I've searched for years for Bunco Squad but it's never shown in England. David Charvet: Dante's voice was baritone and certainly not high on stage. I saw him in 1947, Dudley, UK. If you can get hold of Val Andrews sound cassette, ' Tell Them You Saw Dante' (I can send you his address) you'll hear Val's voice which is diabolically close . I reproduced a version of the Dante show in my school Theatre in 1980(I was Head of Drama Faculty) but although I achieved some of his look, my voice never really hits his pitch. E Mail me for any other info. Allen Tipton.
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Dell o Dell's home movies has Dante performing you can get at The SAM library.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Allen -
Great info. Would loved to have seen your Dante recreation. Dante's voice seemed "high" to me, but I'm a bass and just about everyone's voice seems high to me!
Thanks for your note -
Andrew - The Dell O'Dell home movies were taken at the opening night of Dante's show at the Morosco Theater in New York in 1940, when Dante opened "on Broadway." They are a great bit of history.
David
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Also at the SAM library is Dante not performing but being film at I think PCAM convention.
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
David - You right!
The Dell o Dell movies are great!!
It has my old boss Ted Carrothers on it when he was kid working at Carlo's magic shop.
I worked for Ted at his for many years.
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
David Ch. & Andrew Martin. I had read, in Annemann's Jinx that Dell O' Dell took some movies. Where oh where can I get a copy of them.please. I have a big collection of Dante memorabilia; pics, the Trunk Book, music score of the song Sim Sala Bim, publicity shots, autograph etc. All left to the Magic Circle when I leave this earth. I was hoping that Richard Kaufmann would continue, in Genii, the Dante series(from Peter Reveen's collection)and compiled by Roy Short(D's English Stage manager) When I met Moi Yo Miller in 1993 she was so surprised to be presented with a pic of herself,Roy & Arturo (in Australia) she autographed it as Moi Yo Montes. David (love the Jack Gwynne book) If I can find your e mail number I'll attatch some pics of my version of the Dante Show for you. Allen
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Allen
You can get a copy of Dell o Dell's home movies from the SAM video and film library.
Yep ,me too , I love David's Gwynne book.What I learned from the book is what Jack said,"If you going to do a new trick always perform it in the middle of the show".
I talk to Moi -yo many years ago . What a great lady.
I know it but do you guys know what Moi-yo real name is??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dante (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL