We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Olympic Games (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I wondered whether any judging bias against teams GB and USA would surface in view of our military activities of the past 18 months or so. Obviously this could have no effect on 'first past the post' events, but in other events it could have taken effect. Gladly I've not detected anything to date. Competitors attend the Games as 'non-political' creatures (or they should do!) and should not be affected in any way by World events.

Regarding British, - we may be underfunded in some sports. But how can the world's 4th largest economy and 'top of division one' military power (the USA occupies ALL the Premiership League!) be 'small'? We've seen magnificent results in the 1980s in track and field. Everyone knew that the Greece Olympics would not be spectacular for Britain. Nearly all of our World Class stars are now in media broadcasting studios covering the events. The up and coming talent is there, and will prove itself in time. We used to moan about 'horizontal British Heavyweight boxers' for decades. Then what happened?

Britain is a strangely unique Country to live in. By and large over the course of (recent) history the World looks up to us for our qualities. Yet we ourselves always view our Country in the negative. Is this humility maybe? Or something else . . .
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I wasn't being negative, I said I thought we do pretty well all things considered.

We are a small place, geographically. And we may have a well-funded military power and a strong economy, but beyond soccer we don't appreciate sport anthing like we should. So we don't fund it anything like we should.

I got a letter from the Post Office apologising for the strikes we had in Oxford earlier this year and by way of apology they were going to give £1 million to the 2012 Olympic bid. I don't really know what to make of that. I don't know how much effect a £1 million can have on an Olympic bid but I know that it could make a lot of difference to local sports facilities for example.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
The Manchester cycling facility has made an incredible difference to team GB's fortunes. Rowing and sailing have also never been better. I honestly believe field and track to not be in decline, but in transit to another younger generation. Swimming quite honestly beggars belief! Also very disappointed at the level of boxing from a Country that has produced so many greats.

Are Western Countries in general becoming 'soft' and full of young people who just want an easy life full of 'Big Mac's' and endless alcohol. On the face of it maybe it seems that way. But then look at Sweden. Less than 9 million population but three Gold track and fields one after another! Look at the magnificent young female USA gymnast who beat the best the orientals and eastern Europeans could throw at her. Look at the Aussie and USA young swimming stars. We all recognise that sporting supremacy is a way out of poverty for many African athletes. But yet rich Western countries still produce people who are prepared to go through years of training just for that medal. Motivation is indeed the word.
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Agreed. And it is very hard for British kids to become motivated and continue to be motivated throughout adolescence and beyond, especially when their mates are likely to be drinking and experimenting with drugs. More than natural talent and hard work in training, you must need incredible discipline and determination and self-belief, to stick at it for years on end.

I can't believe that we have only one boxer of Olympic standard but I am unaware of any boxing facilities outside of a few cities (London, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield). When I was a kid there was a boxing club in most small towns (often in youth clubs).
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Olympic Games (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL