The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » How do you identify fake copies and real ones? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FireAmbitious
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
4 Posts

Profile of FireAmbitious
I have a problem... I don't know how to identify fake copies of DVDs and things from the real ones. I found a really cheap shop near my area. There are a lot of magic DVDs and props. But all the DVDs are really cheap and they look just like the real ones (not even sure if they're fake). They are all buy two get one free. Some really good DVDs in magic but they cant be sold all the same price! Imagine Michael Ammer's Easy to Master Card Magic vol 1 - 3 sold for just around $64 USD!!!

I really cant tell if they are fake or not and they cant be sold that cheap !!!

Please help
"Bee" The Deck I make my Magic From.

#goal
-improve performance
#category
-cards & magic
#content
-understand the basic principles and techniques
-learn how to improve your skills
-develop your gamemanship

be
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Ask the owner if they are fake, and if he replies in the negative, ask him why he can sell them so cheaply.

Only way to go about it really....
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
If you look closely at the sleeve artwork and the art on the disc, you can often notice a significant quality difference. Pirated DVDs often use color laser copies for the sleeve artwork. I doubt that DVD bootleggers use real 4 color printing. The DVD publisher might have some tips on identifying authentic copies.

The price you mentioned sounds low, but retailers do sometimes offer severe discounts in certain situations.

Asking the owner may offer a clue, but I doubt he will freely admit to selling illegal merchandise (if, in fact he is), and it's not too hard to come up with a reason for marking down prices.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
In the case of a DVD you can check to see if it was pressed or burned. Publishers press their DVDs because the cost for the volume they are doing is less than burning them and the quality is higher.

Pirates and bootleggers burn their DVDs (make copies on DVD recorders) which results, in the best case, in a product with a shorter life expectancy. Yes, burned DVDs are far more susceptible to deteriorization and damage. Don't leave a ripped DVD or CD in your car on a hot summer day.

So, the way to check is to look at the disc on the play side. Pressed DVDs will have no, or a very slight, rainbow refection on them when light reflects off the "grooves". Ripped DVDs will have a very pronounced rainbow.

Cheers,

Tom
FireAmbitious
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
4 Posts

Profile of FireAmbitious
Thanks a lot for the tips !!!

#goal
-improve performance
#category
-cards & magic
#content

be
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
286 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
Mabee its used?? But then again, by looking at your location, I can almost guarantee that its not original, as Ive picked up video's in HK and it looked real except for the fact that it came in the plastic cases as opposed to the cardboard slipcase it usually came in.
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
They are not used but they are indeed pirated copies. I got cheated once in Bangkok, Thailand by a magician in a shopping complex.

FireAmbitious,

You can always place your orders with these dealers:
http://www.mymagic.com
http://www.a1magicalmedia.com
http://www.hocus-pocus.com

They always serve you well (eventhough you are a foreigner), trustworhty and of course, they always ship the products very fast (probably you'll receive it in 7-10 days). I heard http://www.magicproshop.com 's service is quite good also.
sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of sharpace
Last month I 've stayed in Hong Kong. I've been to that magic shop located at 188 shopping center. At first there are some tricks which I'm interested and want to buy from them. But I found their wall hanging all pirated DVDs (more than 200 titiles,mostly from L&L ) that really surprised me. (I cannot understand why they can sell those pirated DVDs s so openly!!)

After I seen this I give up to buy anythings from them!!!!!!!!!!!

My firends in Hong Kong told me that the shop is owned by a famous Hong Kong magician. WHAT a SHAME!!!@@@
SGMagician
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SGMagician
I am not surprised that many are selling fake L&L DVDS so openly. Even Singapore magic shops does that! I know that one of our magic shops here sell fake magic booklets! you know? those booklets by Docc Hilford, Andrew Mayne, etc etc. Anything that can be photocopied and looks good! Imagine how much they would earn. One booklet cost only a few cents to photocopy and they are selling the US price for it! The profit margin is huge. No wonder they are selling it and yet people are buying from them unknowingly....

I guess the worse thing is they rent out these magic DVDs! Just as bad or even worse than selling pirated DVDs! One DVD can be rented out at only $15!!! Hope someone can put a stop to these piracy
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
If you look around in Hong Kong, Thailand etc. you will soon find that it is not only magic (dvd:s, video tapes, books) that are pirated. You will find illegal copies of well known clothes brand (Gucci, Kelvin Klein, Hugo Boss etc) computer software, music, watches, perfumes, alcohol.... I can go on forever. There is no end to it.
This is big business down there, are you surprised that the authorities don't stop this illegal business? I am not! This means a lot of money to these countries. And the percentage of illegal merchandise related to magic is so low compared to what else sold on this market! It is not even a spoonful in the Ocean!
It is sad but the miserable reality!
Yuji
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
138 Posts

Profile of Yuji
I also cheated by that magic shop located at 188 shopping center in Hong Kong. Beside the faked DVDs they also sell magic props. (Most of them are rip-off) I have bought a fire product (just look like omega fire,but a bit thicker)from them. The salesman said it is very good in quality.

After I went back to my hotel room I have tried it at the bathroom IT's TERRIBLE!!! It nearly burnt my hands. I am so lucky I've tried it at the bathroom. If I use it at my room I think it will burn the carpet and cause a big fire. I am in a hurry back to Japan and get no time to that magic complain about it and ask for a refund. This story teach me a lots and cann't trust the Magic shop in Hong Kong anymore especially the one sell fake DVDs.
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
Here in Ireland they sell fake copy’s of L&L DVDs as well, I bought a few I was told they where used, the work perfect, also they had BK line of DVDs as well as A-1. you can tell by looking at the back if it is not silver it is most likely a copy. Buying DVD copy’s hurts our economy. these people who make copy’s are steeling from our favourite magic producers. L&L A-1 etc… these companies are nice enough to produce good quality items for us magicians not for some thief to copy and by the way if you buy copy’s it is the same as steeling.
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
One of the best ways to tell a burned DVD is by looking at the underside on the surface where the laser reads. If you hold the disc in just the right angle of light you can see little tiny bar codes and usually a huge series of numbers written around the outside of the hole in the disc. Sometimes the numbers are 15 to 20 digits long! Blank discs that are burned onto may have a series of numbers but not anywhere near the amount a legitimate disc has.
FireAmbitious
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
4 Posts

Profile of FireAmbitious
Thx a lot guys. Btw I found out there's another magic shop that sell the real DVDs ones!!! just downstairs under the fake copies place. They hardly have any though... just about 10? and quite a lot of props and stuff !!! I guess I will never guy anythig from the fake DVDs shop again!!! although the real ones are expensive, I will still buy them ! If you buy the fake ones they will make more and more. SO STOP BUYING FAKE DVDs !!!

#goal
-improve performance
#category
-cards & magic
#content

be
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This stinks and as a community we should not support the copying of product.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I totaly agree with you on that MagicChris.

Best,
Bradley
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
FireAmbitious
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
4 Posts

Profile of FireAmbitious
U know what?... I wanna sue them for selling fake DVDs...

#goal
-improve performance
#category
-cards & magic
#content

be
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
Good idea Fire, now you just have to buy the copyright to the videos so you'll be in a position to do so.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Quote:
On 2004-08-16 11:19, Aron Devin wrote:
One of the best ways to tell a burned DVD is by looking at the underside on the surface where the laser reads. If you hold the disc in just the right angle of light you can see little tiny bar codes and usually a huge series of numbers written around the outside of the hole in the disc. Sometimes the numbers are 15 to 20 digits long! Blank discs that are burned onto may have a series of numbers but not anywhere near the amount a legitimate disc has.

This is correct, also a copied disc will be purple. The original will be silver. But keep in mind that some of the DVDs out there are not mass produced. Some are made by the author, in this case the disc might be purple because he burned them himself. I would think all of L&L's would be silver and have the name written on the inner side of the disc. This will go for most of the larger named publishers.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Magic dealers are required to sell DVD's at a certian price. THis is so dealer A and dealer B are competivie. If it it too cheap watch out. I sell them as overstock but all are origionals...Then again I am NOT a dealer so...
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » How do you identify fake copies and real ones? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL