The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Restless Leg Syndrome (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I have this affliction. When I was a child I couldn't sleep because my legs were restless.

I used to run around the block very late at night as a child and as an adult in the hopes of shifting the pulsing and heat to another area of my body. Keep in mind that I was borne with flat feet and running is a task for me in and of itself.

I used to lie with my legs against the wall to find a cool comfort which allowed me to fall asleep.

I used to have thoughts of chopping off my legs as a child. It was that uncomfortable! The bottoms of my feet also get hot during these bouts. They occur about once a month on a regular basis.
My great-grandmother had rheumatic fever and I thought that perhaps this was an inherited affliction?

My mother had the leg syndrome. Both of my children now have it and my former wife was afflicted with it after five years of marriage.

I sought help as an adult at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona. The doctor told me that the R.Fever supposition was entirely incorrect.

He stated that this is a relatively new phenomena in well over 10% of the human population with no known cure. There is a support group that I went to which consisted entirely of women. I stopped going after only one gathering.

Can someone tell me if they have ever experienced or have knowledge of resources for treatment?

This has been a medical mystery in my life since early childhood. I would love to solve the mystery before my passing.

I believe that I am an Insomniac as a result of The Restless Leg Syndrome.

I know that there are other Insomniacs here and perhaps we should have a forum for Insomniac Gatherings here late at night?

This is an entirely different creature so we should leave it for another thread I think?

Thank you all so much!
~ere-dos~
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Get thee to a Sleep Study Institute.
There is help for people with RLS and you need to find someone who takes sleep disorders seriously.
Sleep disorders are a recent development in the health care industry and many still do not treat them as seriously as they should.
I fortunately do not suffer from RLS but insead have a severe case of sleep apnea (over 90 events an hour) I've been on a Bi-Pap machine now for two years and the difference it has made in my life is remarkable.
I can now sleep, enter REM sleep and wake up feeling that I've actually rested and not drift offto sleep at the drop of a hat during the day.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi Rey-Rey,

I"m sorry I'm not familiar with the medical problem you have. I would go along with Payne in his suggestion of looking into a sleep institute. I used to have problems sleeping many years ago. That was due to stress and worry about many things that would take days to type up. Like the old quote says: "Don't tell me worry doesn't work: "Most of the things I worry about never happen."
If I've been working out too much and feel aches and pains, I take a low dose Valerian tablet (250~500mg) about half and hour before bed. I regularly take calcium and magnesium before going to bed too. (750mgcal to 350mg magnesium.) Helps me sleep very well. Calcium and magnesium in a 2:1 ration in a natural calmer of the nervous system. Best taken before sleeping as the body absorbs it better in your sleep. Hey I'm not doctor, but have done extensive study on these things.
One local Chinese friend does yoga before sleep, some do meditation. Experience tells me that drinking achohol does not enhance sleep in any way.

All the best,

Jo-Jo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Do you ever get bouts of cramp (painful muscle locking spasms) combined with this?

Quite honestly it's something in life I've always accepted, although it does not happen on a frequent basis. Years ago I used to work as a pro. musician. Whenever I'd had a night of backing cabaret - usually on a Hammond electronic organ (as you know, left foot plays bass/right foot 'swells' or accentuates the sound), I'd quite frequently get this restless leg syndrome of kicking around. The rest of my body was ready for sleep. The legs kept me awake. But no feelings of heat as such. I've personally found that plenty of exercise, i.e. walking/cycling alleviates the problem. The down side to this is that I now easily get foot strains and injuries. Just wondering if high blood pressure may come into the equasion here somewhere?
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Gosh, I had forgotten to mention the cramps as well.
You are correct the rest of my body wants to rest by sleeping, but the legs keep me awake. They just keep kicking around in an attempt to find peace.
I have learned to accept it as a part of my existence on this planet, but it is still a mystery that I would love to solve.

I never knew that there was a different type of R.L.S. as HackMonkey Mentions. I feel better knowing that I am not imagining non-existent feelings of discomfort.
I guess I am not as crazy after all?

If you or someone that you know has this please, please post the experience here?

Fraternally,~ere-dos~
briantwig
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of briantwig
Ever think of hooking a stationary bike up to a generator and powering appliances with it?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Restless Leg Syndrome (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL