The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Information needed on topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
I am interested in the topit. As far as I know, I can produce and vanish things with it. What other things can it do? Can it hold coins or a coin dumper would be much better? What are the clothing restrictions for a topit?
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
>Can it hold coins or a coin dumper would be much better?
Well, It can't hold coins unless you plan to use sleeving. However you still can fix your coin dumper on your jacket.

You need to wear a jacket, coat or vest to fix the topic on. In Malaysia, topit is only ideal for magicians who work in restaurant, pub, hotel.....; not that ideal for street magician (our country is hot not that suitable) or any impromtu effect (unless you wear it wherever you go). BTW, I'm from Malaysia too, Penang.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
They cost little. Buy one and find out what you can do with one.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Mr. Biro, Thanks for the sugeestion to try one and find out....

I finally went to a tailor. She modified the Cellini Pattern and put one in.

Been playing for a couple of weeks.

Very interesting when combined with my sleeves.

It will be a fun time of discovery.

Do folks like me who have a bit of a belly have more difficulty with this toy, er prop.

Been thinking about getting the Patrick Page Video or others, but first I will enjoy the self discovery.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Heres what I plan to get. A jsb superset and the topit dvd by Michael Ammar. Is these material enough for a beginner?
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I have also been considering the Jay Scott Berry set. Any additional information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4863 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Jay Scott Berryt´s Topit:
http://www.jayscottberry.com/jsbtopits.html

M. Ammar Topit DVD:
http://www.ammarmagic.com/ammarmagic/topitdvd.html

Lynetta Welch, Ready To Install Topits:
http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
If you purchase Ammar's Topit DVD, he gives you the pattern for his toppit. The DVD contains a lot of tips and suggestions from a time when Ammar still had hair (lol).
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magical Duo
View Profile
New user
USA
35 Posts

Profile of The Magical Duo
Yea, I got the Ammar DVD. Fantastic! His moves are really good for the topit too. I saw both Jay Scott Berry and Michael Ammar live in lectures and I like Ammar's method's better. However, Jay's handling of the TT is great. Really inspiring.
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. Gene Wilder BLAZING SADDLES
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
There is one point re the TOPIT overlooked by most!

Apart from the difference in design, eg. the backdrop and the access via coatpocket, there is a very important difference between the Ammar and the classical TOPIT as used by Pat Page..

And that is, the Harold Comden/George Davenport/Pat Page version gives much easier and more access due to it's design.

Those who have seen the Page video and the Ammar video will understand..the difference is due to the Page version is *loose* inside the coat, whilst the Ammar-version is PART of the coat..

Nothing wrong with that, but when you study the Page video you'll se, how wide his Topit can get opend..much wider then Ammars..

There is a solution to this, so that the principially superiour Ammar design also can get an easier access..part of this is explained in another thread in this forum, se under:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&15

To work more safe with this thing..you need the easiest possible access.. Smile

The fact that one side of the TOPIT is equal to the lining (Ammar) makes the thing more *stiff* and tougher to access, lessens the opening..simply look at Pat Pages video and note the difference and WHY he has easier access, apart from his strategy of raising his elbow.. Smile
Those interested in using the TOPIT should think more about this difference..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
238 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I have both the Ammar and the Page topits. The Page topit is in my drawer. I feel that the Ammar topit is by far superior. I also have the Ammar and JSB DVD's and the Page and Cloutier videos. I like both the Ammar and JSB work much more than the others. I did not care for the Page tape at all. Some good ideas, but I feel the Ammar and JSB have a much smoother appearance. I have seen Ammar, JSB and Page perform their with their topits. Ammar and JSB were great! I still believe that you need to try different methods and find the one you like best. All of my jackets and vests have the Ammar style topit.
Good luck!
Regards,
Jim
trickybottles
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of trickybottles
You may want to go to Hank Lees Magic and look through his online catalog. They carry them and they come in pairs, one for each side of the jacket/coat. I've used them for years and had no problem with them. It takes a little getting use to and you have to place them where you feel comfortable in order to vanish items.
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi I suggest you get the micheal Ammar DVD or Video on the topit.it tells you everything you need to know

Ricardo the Magician
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
I have had a few Ammar Topits, which were great but the I'm sold on is the Cloutier one.

It gives me the ability to do a number of things that the others don't. If you want to know what they are email me or PM me. This is not the place to give away secrets.

I've been performing professionally for the last 15 years with a topit, and found that if you bend forward, with an Ammar type, too much it gives the spectators a Gigantic glimpse at the topit. Even been busted because of this, on too many occasions.

With the Cloutier topit I can even flash open my coat intentionally, without it being detected.

It is a little harder to hit than the Ammar one but I think it is better!

Also, if you do start to use one. Don't use it just to make things disappear. Use it wisely and occasionally. Don't use it for everything that you do. It is a secret weapon that should be used to your advantage. It should be used in combination with everything else that you do to make the magic even better.

Michael Berends
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Information needed on topit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL