The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Grit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Hello everyone,
I always used to give my birds grit and they never used to eat it. About 7 months ago I stopped giving it to them, except the breeding couple because they need it although they rarely eat it. And there have been no problems so do doves really need grit? I thought they did but since they refused to eat it and a scientist claimed that they don't need it I thought otherwise. So do you guys give your birds grit? Are there any side affects?
Thanks
Matt
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Just keep mixing it in with their food.
Many folks have doves who die, "Mysteriously"

It can't hurt you, should you stop including it, but it
certainly can make things uncomfortable for your doves.

One side effect for one of my newborn doves is it didn't eat it and he could'nt remove excess waste for a few days. He died!
Darcy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Darcy
Grit is a digestive aid for the doves. It helps them digest their food, so if you take it away, it may result in unhealthy birds.

Darcy
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5005 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Matt, it may not seem like they eat it but they do. It only takes a few bits of grit to do the job and they don't need it everyday. There are different thoughts about how to give it to them. Some say to mix it with their seed, others say to put it in a separate cup. I prefer the latter method. I give them a little bit once a week or so.
Where the magic begins
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
It all depends on the bird, like as stated, they'll eat it when then need to. I was told by my vet you really only need to give it to them once a week or so, but I just mix it in with the food a few times a week cuz you never know. If you give them too much it can pass right through them without being used by the gizzard and that also can be unhealthy I've been told...

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Thanks, I mix my bird seed with a bit of everything and I just realized in one of the mixes that I don't normally give their is grit so ill add a bit of that to the main mix.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Grit? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL