The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Well I'm 28 today (8/19). Does anyone else ponder life and get depressed somewhat on their b-days? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I'm curious. I get very philosophical, sometimes. Yes I celebrate, but I look at where I am for my age, then see where others are at my age (wife, kids, a great career), and I feel like a loser at times. Oh..well. To those over 28, where were you, and what were you doing at 28? Not to get personal, just curious is all. I love the free food/discounts, at the resturants though, and family togetherness. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
You get senior discounts at 28!?!?

;)

By the way, you're not old.

Shane Wiker
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Ed, at 28 you have only scratched the surface of your Life expectancy. Never compare your Life with the Life of other's. This is YOUR Life and maybe you are not where you think you should be at this moment but many years from now when you look back at your Life at the tender age of 28, you will most likely laugh at yourself and realize just how good your Life has been and how silly it was of you to feel that you and your Life was not as great as you had hoped it would be.
My suggestion to you is to donate some of your time and skills to help others. I guarantee that giving some of your time to help a stranger will not only enrich the one you are helping but will also help you just as much.
At the age of 28 I was still hitchhiking around the country doing odd jobs and sometimes (make that many times) I would have moments of minor depression and a feeling of being lost with nowhere to go and no future to look forward to.
It wasn't until 1988 at the age of 37 that I finally stayed in one place (where I am now) and got a "real" job and started my Life all over again from scratch.
I now have a very good job and a Loving 7 year old Daughter. I have never been married and at the moment I don't have a Woman in my life but I am happier than I ever have been and I know that someday I may find the right person to share Life's pleasure's with but if I never find that special someone, I still have my Loving Daughter and my health is reasonable good although I do have arthritis in both legs and I just don't feel as "sprite" as I did when I was your age but Life is good and things seem to be getting better all of the time.
I guess what I am trying to say is, it is up to you to make your Life as good as it can be and never compare your Life with those that you think have it better than you. Sometimes those that we think are happier than us and have all the time and money to do whatever they want, have more problems than we do and may not be as happy as we think.
To repeat what I said before, if you really start to feel like a "loser" donate some time and effort to your local Hospital, Home for the aged, Feed the poor. There are more people who need help than there are people willing to help. It's an old cliché' I know but it is very true, you help yourself by helping others.
Peace my friend, now go out there and create your happy Life.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
GrumpyOwl
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of GrumpyOwl
I hate birthdays, to me they are just another day closer to death, nothing to celebrate about...
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
When I turned 28, my first divorce had just become final. Needless to say, I was quite depressed. Since I didn't share much of my personal life with my co-workers, no one could understand why I was so depressed that particular birthday. When I got over that, I began to live life to the fullest. don't' worry, with two children I am not reckless nor irresponsible, I just have fun with life...and them! I don't want to be sitting in the nursing home, waiting for visits from grandkids who never come, thinking about all the "should haves" I should have done in my life. My kids aren't embarrassed when I'm around them and their friends...I'm the "cool mom" everyone wishes their mom would be (but I don't insist on hugs and kisses from them in front of their friends). Not too bad for the girl who couldn't even get her brother to take her to the senior prom!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I love getting older and I wish it could go on forever... that is as long as I stay healthy, keep my hair, my teeth, my wits.... Now, I'm bummed. Thanks Birthday Boy.

A friend once told me, "If you're green you're growing. If you're ripe you're rotting."

Happy Birthday Ed!

Kregg
POOF!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Do you know what's the great thing is about celebrating a birthday? It's the fact that you are still able to do so.

Being able to do so, indicates:
1. You still live.
2. You can still think clearly enough to celebrate.

Never look a gift year in the month!

I will be 48 in April, and treasure every year that I'm allowed to have. The nature of life is that life isn't usually fair, and that corporeal life eventually ends. The nature of the human spirit, however, is the capacity to rise above those two facts and make life an adventure...a wonder.

To quote a great fictional character:

"The whole world is a circus, if you know how to look at it. The way the sun goes down when you're tired; comes up when you want to be on the move. That's real magic. The way a leaf grows; the song of the birds; the way the desert looks at night, with the moon embracing it. Oh, my boy, that's circus enough for anybody! Every time you watch a rainbow and feel wonder in your heart; every time you pick up a handful of dust, and see not the dust, but a mystery..a marvel there in your hand; every time you stop and think, 'I'm alive, and being alive is fantastic;' every time such a thing happens, you are part of the Circus of Dr. Lao."

- Dr. Lao

I signed on with the Circus of Dr. Lao long ago, and continue to sign on for each new season. The show has plenty of room for new performers.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I'm 138 and feel great. Just look at me.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
There is no use comparing yourself with other people! Just thinking about your recent postings, all I can say is that you are the only person I have ever heard of in my entire life who had, how can I put this, a flowing ovation while you were street performing, and you didn't even totally lose it. I am sure that I would have lost it when I was your age, and come to think of it, I wasn't performing magic at 28, either.

So you ought to consider, if your birthday is getting you down, that there are people older than you who have never met you, but for whom you are, in your own unique way, an inspiration.

You must have other stories inside you that are also as priceless as that one. Just think what you will have at 50!

Enjoy the ride!

Yours,

Paul
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Happy Birthday!
If your going to think about people better than you think about the people below you.
Matt
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
At 28 I was single, living at home with my dear mother. Had seen a bout of wealth in my very early 20s come - AND GO! Spent summers playing piano in a weary holiday resort lounge. Spent winters in bed and gigging with a small band. Had owned great cars, including a fabulous Jag. All I had now was a £175 van badly converted into a camper! No steady relationship, had been torn to shreds emotionally!

Now? Married 25 years. Two houses, 3 cars, amazing holidays, two wonderful sons. Oh, and when folks say 'life begins at 40' it's true . . . and when you turn 50, wow, as long as you've not abused the booze, drugs or smokes, then life is FANTASTIC!!

No, you've definitely NOT missed the boat Eddini.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks for the replies. I do like helping people when I can. Actually I tried to do volunteer Magic a few years back at my local hospital. I do it at my church ocassionally. The hospital said no due to insurance reasons and the fact that they have no "Kid's Ward", technically. Loving and serving God the best as I can is a way I find meaning myself. I love my Family & Friends. I'm lucky my family are all pretty much within walking/driving distance from me. Thanks Again, Ed, (Eddini).
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Here's a thought: If you didn't know how old you are, how old would you be?
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Well I feel old, since I've been through quite a lot, maybe like age 35, BUT I have the mentality, and heart of a 16 year old I think. I actually had psychological testing done a while back, and they said my mind-set is that of someone much, much younger than my age. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...HaHaHaHa, Ed, (Eddini).
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Life gets better every day...if you live it.
It goes especially well with a glass of merlot.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
HaHaHa...don't mention alcohol...lol. I was very hung-over yesterday. I had like 6 BIG wine glasses of wine yesterday (8/19) in like 2-3 time period...lol. Oh well. I feel much better now. Actually I think I was drunk when I first posted this. Sometimes when I drink I love to post more, and I'm more "open". Oh well, in moderation I guess. Like I said God gives me a lot of meaning, as well as my family, friends, and my Magic. Getting into Magic around 14-15, saved my life. I was always hyper getting suspened from school, not neccessarily law trouble, but I may be in Jail today or worse, if I hadn't found a passion such as Magic.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
People take drugs to be high we don't need drugs magic gives us a high.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Like Kregg, I quite like getting older. I never worry about birthdays - I treat them as just another day (apart from a reason to buy myself something special). Same with New Year. A lot of people feel down at New Year, but it's just another day with a label. I actually never celebrate New Year (but am willing to except that I might be slightly abnormal in this respect).

I try to enjoy every day and put a positive spin on things. I do understand what you are talking about though. The trick I found is not to expect anything to go as planned, but to make the effort just in case it might. I've seen friends not expect things to work out, and therefore not make the effort. This road leads to despair and is not one I would advocate.

You mention the word "loser". I doubt very much that this is the case - a strength you have that is often rarely forthcoming in men is an ability to open up and share your inner thoughts. Don't knock this. You'll be surprised what doors it can open, professionally and personally. I find this one of my personal strengths and hang most of my successes on it.

Anyway, a belated Happy Birthday, Ed. I hope we can touch base next year and see how things are going.

Cheers,

Beetroot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Well I'm 28 today (8/19). Does anyone else ponder life and get depressed somewhat on their b-days? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL