The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2004 entrée: Jon Allen » » Any inspirations from the really old timers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Hi Jon, thanks for taking your time to join us on the forums.

I never really hear anyone talk about this, but, do you ever get inspiration from studying some of the really old timers(thurston/keller/blackstone...etc)?

I remember reading about them years ago and was inspired by studying some of the stuff that they accomplished.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Krumb,

I must be honest and say that I don't really study the 'really old timers' of the ilk you have mentioned. I'm aware of them, of course, but I prefer to concentrate on performers closer to the present.

I think that performing styles have changed, as have audiences. One can always learn soemthing from the masters. One person I do have a thing for is Max Malini. The stories that surround him are quite incredible. I believe that no footage exists of him performing so it is only what people have written about him that exists. He is certainly someone worth learning about audacity from! He was also someone that didn't care what it took to create the required effect.

Having said that I don't really study the 'really old timers' it would be wrong to say I don't get inspired by them. It is always worth looking at the truly great performers in any field. Whether it is magic, music, sport, acting, business or whatever, I admire anyone who is at the top level. What did it take to get there? How do they maintain the level? How do they deal with the pressures? Is there anything I can add to my own thinking?

Talking of the past masters, one of my most memorable moments came at The Magic Castle in about 1990 or so. I was already stunned to find out that Dai Vernon was there. He was in his late 90s. I went to the library with him (Stalking would be too strong a word!) and he got into a conversation with another magician. I will always remember the immortal words, "When I was chatting to Houdini......" I was in the same room as someone who had known Harry Houdini. For a young magician, this had a great impact. He also went on to say that Houdini couldn't escape form a paper bag unless it was gimmicked. Everyone's a critic!
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
I do agree with you that perfoming styles have changed dramatically since the late 19th/early 20th century. The information age has warped this world into something very foreign from that time.

Great story about Vernon. What an amazing thing, to meet someone that was tied to so many, and that created so many, significant historical events in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2004 entrée: Jon Allen » » Any inspirations from the really old timers? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL