The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bottomless Tumbler Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
My magic lodge is having a bottomless tumbler themed evening and I'm totally unfamiliar with using one. Could anyone offer me some advice for handling, principles, routines, etc.?

Many thanks in advance,

Ric
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Imagine a tumbler sitting on a table from the start of your performance. It seems to be filled with a handkerchief or bandana (silk). At some point in your act you borrow a bill, have the bill signed, burn it in an envelope, pick up the glass and grasp a corner of the hank and pull it from the glass. There in the glass is seen a lemon wrapped in plastic which is gathered at the top and tied with a twist tie. The plastic is opened, the lemon is cut in half and there – ta-da- is the signed bill!

That is only one small routine done with a bottomless tumbler (published in 1950 by U.F.Grant.).

Or, you could simply hold the tumbler in one hand and toss a number of coins into it, one at a time, cover the tumbler with a silk and set it on the table, make a magic pass and show the coins all gone (or have them drop into a second tumbler one at a time. Sort of a "coins across" with tumblers). That one was in a kid’s book of magic. Have to hold the tumbler at an angle to have the coins hit its side when dropping in the first two, after that let the coins hit the coins already in the tumbler (and resting on your palm ready to be stolen away). You steal them the in the same manner as stealing a stack in an Okito box routine.

Or, using two tumblers, paper cups really, take the bottom out of one and the rim off the second. Nest the bottomless one inside the rim-less one. Now borrow a hat and put the cups into it as one, take the bottomless one out and forget that you have taken it out as you pour water into the hat. After a little acting, take out the rimless one and take a drink of the water and show the hat dry. If hats aren’t available, then use a magic box to and accidentally ruin it by forgetting that you took out the paper cup.

Or, staying with the nested paper cups just mentioned, have two small paper bags opened one to your right the other to your left. Fill the nested set (while nested) with water and put it into one of the paper bags. Hesitate for a moment and say that you are back ward and take the cup (the bottomless one, you have just left the rimless one with water behind) and put it into the other bag. NOW put a second bottomless cup (you can show it empty by holding it upside down) into the first paper (and right into the rimless cup). You have done all the work for a “water across” effect. End by taking the now empty cup out and crush it, and the now water filled cup and pour the water out!

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I think that many of the other members of the forum will have even more creative things to offer.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Thanks Mumblepeas, some excellent ideas there for me to work with and practice.

As usual, the standard of magicians, their advice and willingness to help is always exceptionally high.

Many thanks again,
Ric
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
George Johnstone used to put a bottomless glass into a spectator's upturned palm, break an egg into it and walk away with the glass. It got big laughs and George was never actually assaulted by his victim. Of course, his assistant handed over a towel at the appropriate time. Not everybody could get away with this and, probably, most people shouldn't try. Just mentioned it for completeness.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Read the classic books on magic.

Some uses are:

Miser's Dream
Kling Klang
Combinations with a handkerchief pedestal
Make billiard balls change place.
Most people use the glass for a vanish, production, change or penetration.

Or you could use an Okito glass.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Karrel Fox had a routine similar to UF Grant's called Foxy Nest of Bags in which a borrowed ring ended up in a nest of three paper bags, inside of which was a glass with a silk inside of which was a ring box with the borrowed ring.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
For a magic group, show a glass and a deck of cards.
The patter:
"I have here a plain, everyday bottomless glass and a perfectly ordinary Svengali deck. . . ." Smile
And, believe me, if you don't use it, someone else will!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Supreme Magic in the UK used to publish a booklet on ideas for the Bottomless Glass - by Ravelle & Andre, I think.

This may still be available via some dealers.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
Supreme also supplied a superb plastic glass which had a fitted removable bottom...great prop!! Smile
Wallace B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bottomless Tumbler Ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL