The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2004 entrée: Jon Allen » » Phobia » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Hi Jon,

I just would like to ask regarding having two versions of this trick. Yours with the Bang ending and the other with a snake ending.

I did buy both.

I bought first the one with a rattlesnake ending and I must say it went very well. Somebody bought it from me, thinking I could buy another but it was already out of stock (I think???).

So, I ended up buying your Bang ending, which in my honest opinion does not play well as the above version, as the Bang sound is not sure fire.

I am a Geriatrician by profession and I use this for my patients explaining the different phobias.

Can you expound on why there were two versions? And was the other version asked to cease production and selling?

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Ronaldo B. Moraleta, M.D.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Ronaldo,

Aha! I was wondering if Phobia would arise.

The simple answer to why there are two versions is this: the universe is filled with moments that make you wonder if there is a higher power using us as playthings Smile

Here's the deal: I came up with Phobia as a way of doing The Web, but with way of setting people up for the fact that the trick is scary. I decided to use the Bang toys as a finale as it gives the shock but only as a short burst.

I was speaking to Danny Archer one day and told him I had a trick I was interested in putting out. I asked him the best way to go about making up the trick and marketing it. I was hesitant to give away too much about the trick's details as it was still in the preliminary stages. I gave away a few pieces of information but I don't even think I mentioned phobias. He suddenly told me that another guy ovwer in the midwest of America was in the process of putting out a trick and mine seemed very similar.

I can't remember whether he told me about the other one first or I told him about mine but I listened to him say that his guy had virtually the same routine (10 cards each with a Phobia and a shock ending). THe killer was that he was calling his trick 'Phobia' which was the same as mine! I could not believe it!

Two people thousands of miles apart who had never heard of eachother had, within the space of a couple of weeks or months, come up with the same routine with the same name. It was incredible.

I felt that as each was independent, there was no reason why either of us should back down. There were subtle differences and people could decide, like Coke and Pepsi, which was to their own taste. Neither asked the other person to stop manufacturing and it was all very amicable. We were both embroiled in an amazing coincidence that people still think couldn't have happened.

At the first IBM convention it was launched, I was hoping to meet up with Kevin Wade and share a drink. Alas, our paths didn't cross but I hope they will some time in the future. He's got a great eye for a good trick ;-)
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
The freaky thing was that it was less than 24 hours after talking with Kevin Wade that Jon called and told me his idea ... I can see different people coming up with the same idea as it has happened many times before, but for both of them to call me one right after the other .. that's weird!
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hiya Danny,

So it's all your fault!

I'm afraid to call you up now.

:)
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
WOW! NOW, THAT'S AMAZING!

These things really do happen.

Still it's one of the best tricks I perform often.

Thanks to you and Kevin for creating it!
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Ranoldo:

Hello! I know where you can get the rattlesnake version of Phobia again real cheap! (heehee)

Jon:

I'll take you up on that drink! I'll even buy! I too hope we can meet some time in the near future. I respect your work a lot.

I have serveral of your items (Spectator's Don't Exist, Double Back and your version of Phobia)!

Keep up the great work and continued success!

Kevin
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Kevin,

I have expensive tastes! I hope to come over to the USA next year.

If you are ever in the UK, give me a shout.

Just don't tell me what else you are working on! lol

Jon
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
OK Kevin where?

PM me as to where to get them and Thanks in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2004 entrée: Jon Allen » » Phobia » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL