The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TGI Friday Restaurant Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I haven’t been able to crack this nut. Anyone have success in getting a permanent PAID gig at Friday’s?

My standard approach, which has always worked, has not there. It isn’t that the GM doesn’t like what I do, but I’m told it’s not in the budget. I ask for $50 an hour with a 2 hr. minimum. I have not a problem getting work in other establishments, but would like to add this hot spot to my resume.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Not everyone will be interested. I know that if I were a restaurant owner (And not a magician), I wouldn't pay someone $50 per hour to do magic.

If that's what you charge, keep charging it, but remember that not everyone will hire you.

Shane Wiker
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
TGI Friday's was ruined for magicians in Houston by a fellow who used to go in there every night and perform free. Clubowners spread the word.

If you want to try to get a gig there, go in and perform a few times. Then leave your card with the manager, and don't go back any more until he calls you. That's when to hit him up for money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
I took a group of friends into a resturant I was after and had a meal and then performed about 20min worth of WOW magic for them - I really hyped them up - of course other people got interested and asked me to perform for them.
I said sorry I can't but if you speak to the manager he may let me.

I got my "in" and a steady gig for the cost of a meal.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I was just in contact with the local TGIFridays general manager and have to call back for an appointment to talk to him. I told him who I was and what I have to offer. He was real intrested ( an AppleBees' down the road has a magician for the past 6 yrs, my friend Tony) and wants to talk.

I live in upstate NY by Binghamton, the area here is not really booming per say as other areas. I was looking at charging fifty an hour, but Tony said that starting off at twenty five. Then as their business increases your pay may also.My kid shows are usually one hundred dollars for a show (usually 1/2 hr to 45 minutes).

My question, Shall I take the advise or, say $50 and negotiate. I'm 48 with a son on his own, I have love magic since a kid, want to get away from the kid shows to do restaurant work, and other strolling type. I plan to do this and still work my FT job, then within a year go fulltime in the magic field. I also have a pending gig at "Chi Chi's", and I talked to the GM of the local pizza huts and funny thing, they just started looking for someone to do Tuesday nights at all the local huts, different one each week and for a LONG TERM gig.

Now having to travel for pizza hut, instead of one store would $50 be too much? This area I'm in has 3 cities, few magicians, and only my buddy doing restaurant magic ( he does 1 night because he loves it and also does comedy up and down the east coast, so pickin are ripe here lol. Thanks for all your help.
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
No but everytime I'm drinking at the one in Ann Arbor they always ask me to become a bartender, by other bartenders, I think they think I can make them better tips.
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
I've worked at a Fridays for about a year now. There are a couple of other ones in our metro area that have working magicians. I also know of some Green Mills, Champps, and a Hops Brew House that have hired some of the local magi. There are probably more.

If they say it isn't in their budget, it may just be a polite "no thank you."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Doug Brewer used to work at Friday's. I don't know whether or not he still does. You should PM for more details.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 00:40, S2000magician wrote:
Doug Brewer used to work at Friday's. I don't know whether or not he still does. You should PM for more details.

I know Doug and will ask him

Thanks everyone for the great input!

Chris

R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Chris, I used to perform at TGIFridays across from Metro Centre on Black Canyon Highway for almost two years....go there and see if they are still receptive to the idea?
I left the gig when I landed the Olde Spaghetti Factory Friday night. I tried to find someone to fill the spot, but no one answered the call.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 04:59, ReyRey Puentes wrote:
Chris, I used to perform at TGIFridays across from Metro Centre on Black Canyon Highway for almost two years....go there and see if they are still receptive to the idea?
I left the gig when I landed the Olde Spaghetti Factory Friday night. I tried to find someone to fill the spot, but no one answered the call.

ReyRey, thank you very much for that. Metro is a busy place so I'll check that out.

Best,
Chris

Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I was with Fridays for six years as a bartender back when I was in college. I also did magic behind the bar and would do walk around during Sunday brunch. I was paid for the brunch time and I believe at that time it was $30 per hour (this was 15 years ago so that was decent money). Most of the time during peak hours it was hard to do much magic behind the bar because we were slammed. Concerning getting hired, much of the time approval must come form district management or possibly corporate to hire outside entertainment. And at the time that I was with Fridays many stores were not corporate owned. They used me for Sunday brunch as a business builder, most other days they didn't need any promo's. Most restaurants do have a certain amount of discretionary budget to work with outside of corporate approval, not using it helps their numbers look better.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Daktari, thanks for the insite from 'the inside".

Their bar is one of the busiest I've seen. I don't think folks realize the stocking and CLEAN UP needed!

frank
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
109 Posts

Profile of frank
Chris:

I started my restaurant magic career at
a TGIFriday's - $95 for 2 hours. I was
there for 3 years.

They are all different. Don't assume since one
says no that others will too.

frank
FREE 5 Day Get Your First Restaurant Show Email Mini Course - to sign up...
Send a Blank Email Here:[email]freemagicinfo@getresponse.com[/email]
jrbobik
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of jrbobik
Quote:
They are all different. Don't assume since one
says no that others will too.

frank

Very true. My motto is always ask the worst they will say is "No".
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted"
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
I recently offered one free night for them to "try me out" and everyone (servers, managers, customers) loved it. It's my first restaurant gig (but not 1st professional one) and looks like I'll be getting 65/hr + free meal. I highly recommend Kranzo's "The Gig" booklet, and Sankey's Real Work on Restaurants & bars for tips on how to market yourself to them. But I imagine the 'free night' method (foot in door technique) will only work if your magic and people skills are really polished. The people who tipped me (that I tried refusing!) were both tables where I RESPONDED to them, as opposed to just doing my thing. One was a 22nd B-day where the mom was joking about a 21st bday her son prob doesn't even remember...so I played along and used the faceup/facedown mixing to illustrate a drunken 21st bday mess and as they unmixed, I let that be the "more orderly 22nd bday".
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
I'm curios so I'll just ask. How would you perform at TGI? Is this the restaurant or the bar? Do you simply go around asking people if the would like to see magic?

I live in Norway and I guess things are quite different here.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 12:41, Montana76 wrote:
I'm curios so I'll just ask. How would you perform at TGI? Is this the restaurant or the bar? Do you simply go around asking people if the would like to see magic?

I live in Norway and I guess things are quite different here.

This is a topic that has been discussed a lot, and you are sure to get a wide range of answers. These will range from a basic friendly cold approach, to only approaching when invited. Everyone will have their own style and often this will hinge upon the particular restaurant, the management, and the customers.

I would suggest you listen to (read) them all, then decide which of them make sense to you. You are going to know your area better than anyone. Sometimes you try something and it doesn't work as well as another idea. You will eventually find what works for you.

Regarding TGIFridays, there was one where I lived in Birmingham. I was never able to crack that nut and neither did any other magician I knew there. But the fact that some magicians have worked for the corporation indicates that this is going to be on a case by case basis. Some general or regional managers are going to be more open to peripheral promotion ideas, and others will always keep the door shut.

The only thing to do is give it your best shot (with whatever style is you), same as you would with any other prospective client, and if it works, great. If it doesn't, just look elsewhere. Lots of fish to fry.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I'm at an applebee's...9 months now. I stop at tables after the food order has been taken and before it arrives. I mention that I'm the magician here at Applebee's and I wear a nametag that says House Magician. Other things that I may say during the approach vary according to the situation. They gave me a 6 week trial. The conditions were that they needed to see an increase in revenue by 3 times what they paid me by the end of that 6 weeks. They do expect that I try to promote on FB, etc to get people to come and see me.

It has worked well. I will say that tipping here is not as strong as more upscale restaurant chains where I've also worked.

I appreciate having read in this thread of some of the other chains that have hired magicians. This thread is a bit old so things may have changed.

I do plan to head out in the next few weeks and lock down another weekly restaurant gig. I'm hoping for a Mortons or Ruth's Chris steakhouse.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
You could accept a smaller wage provided that a minimum time is guaranteed with an initial review of the situation after a defined period. You might want to consider whether he would be happy to jump from 25 to 50 in one go....my guess would be maybe not, so if 50 ph is your goal you still might want to start higher.

The other thought is to not come down on price but to offer more. ie you will contact the radio station to tell them there is a magician, pay for the table tents etc etc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » TGI Friday Restaurant Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL