The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Little Help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
A while back, I remember reading an incredbly long, detailed post about constructing an oil/85-gallon drum escape. The only part I can remember about it is that it involved velcro, a screwdriver, a kiddie pool, and a jock strap.

I just looked through all 16 pages of this forum and ran a search, but came up with nothing. If anybody here could help me out with a link, or even a page number or thread title, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Profan
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I remember the mention of a velcrose but remember that was for a milk can escape.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18 this is the milk can that I know of
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
Thanks, but that's not it. The one I'm looking for started as a discussion of the milk can escape, turned into how it looks unfimiliar to the audience, and someone came along and said 'Why not use a big oil drum? In face, here's exactly how to do it...' (Okay, I may be paraphrasing a bit here Smile)

I'm remembering more after reading that thread, though. The hasps were held on on one side with velcro at the beginning, and were reattached at the end with the actual bolts and such. Which is why you need the jock strap: concealment of the hidden parts (no pun intended).

*sighs* My head hurts now.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Profan, that was a Mark Tripp freeby!

Check it out at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=18
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
Mr. Murphy, that was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it. Now I just need to go buy a steel drum.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Check around, you can probably find one for free if you are willing to take it away and clean it up. I got two recently just by showing up with a truck. However mine are being made into slow rosters for barbeque (yes I know, I make the strangest things!). The next one will be used to build Marks neat drum escape.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Harry,

In the picture on this site,you look
just like the actor John Malkovich!

I'm sure you been told that many times,
if not,let me be the first!

Steve Baker, MR.ESCAPE
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
The story of his avatar is VERY funny as well.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
X-treem,

So what's the story?

Steve Baker
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The way I heard it...the story goes that the Avatar picture was given to him by an FBI agent after Harry challenged the guys camera...Shawn's story may be different...or not. Smile

Doug

Ok Shawn...what IS the real story???
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
From The First Year Archives

Quote:
OK, OK, the real story! It is a photo of me! It was used on some promo material I used three years ago.

I was going through a thrift shop in West Virginia last year and there it was! My poster all framed and for sale for a big $22.00!

I could not convince the shop owner that I was the guy on the poster! She kept telling me that it was from a 1950’s show that traveled through the region and that she had obtained it from an estate sale. The estate of the performer!!! LOL!!!

I liked the frame and matting so bought my own poster! Such vanity!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/archive1/vie......2&40
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Good thing it was only $22! So much for the veracity of antique dealers.

Good story.

Now back to the 85 Gallon Can.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Just Saw a AD in the classifieds for 60 Plastic Drums $15.00 each these Might work in case one cant get a metal one. and shouldnt rust out as much. Don,
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
While plastic drums will work, keep in mind that most people identify 'plastic' with 'flimsy.'

Hold out for a steel drum if you can.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The Plastic Barrels/Drums I have seen are quite sturdy.
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
What do you guys think of wooden barrels? Granted, it would be heavier than a metal drum, but I think a thick, oak barrel would be a nifty visual.

I'm currently waiting for a call back from someone advertising 'oaken barrels of all sizes'. Can't wait to see his face when I start asking him how much liquid it holds and whether a person can fit inside.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

"The Plastic Barrels/Drums I have seen are quite sturdy."

I agree; note that I did not say otherwise. What I said is that the PUBLIC'S impression of anything made of PLASTIC is "flimsy," and impression is everything in show biz. While a plastic barrel is workable, a steel drum is far more impressive.

Steve

Wooden barrels look good, though they ARE heavier, and rigging the top to create an air space is a little harder to work than with a steel drum (due to the slope of the barrel shape). If you use a whisky barrel (as I did), you have the additional task of having to scrub out the charred interior and then paint it over.

One suggestion on a barrel, steel drum or plastic drum: get one big enough to get in and out of without difficulty; getting stuck inside is no fun! I know, having performed escapes from both 55 gallon barrels and 55 gallon steel drums, and I was 165 lbs back then. Even at a flexible 165 lbs, I still had to practice maneuvering in and out smoothly, because when you're inside, your center of gravity is a bit off for the attempt to climb back out.

Steve
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
That was the other thing I was curious about. I've never escapes bigger than thumbcuffs, a bit of rope, etc. and don't really know how something like a big barrel would behave. If it's a tall barrel, would you reccommend a step-up of some kind to make getting out easier? Also, when climbing out, are there any techniques (besides loud music) to make things quieter, so the audience doesn't hear water splashing, things clanging around, me cursing the can, etc.?

This has nothing to do with what I was talking about, but it just popped into my head: Do you think being shackled or otherwise restrained adds anything to the effect, or is it best treated as a stand alone, he's-escaping-from-a-locked-barrel thing?

Thanks,
Andy
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Being Cuffed may Make it seem harder. also you need Decent showmanship to sell the audience on it as well or you might want to try escaping without water in the Barrel.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Being cuffed is halfway-expected, being Houdini's shtick.

If the barrel/drum is larger than 55 gallons, I recommend a set of steps to get in.

Music is the best cover, along with a loud 'talker' on a mike, calling off the time and tossing out the "will he get out alive???" type spiel.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Little Help? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL