The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Glitter backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Where can I find such a backdrop. and are they difficult to maintain. I need something which can camoflauge thread on stage. Are mylar sheet strip curtains much cheaper alternate ? Thanks.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Mylar strips are definitely cheaper. Check out NuLash...its very good at hiding thread, and its not as distracting as mylar.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Mylar can be a bit distracting. A curtain works better for my taste, especially if you don't change the backdrop.
POOF!
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I have some mylar strip curtains that velcro onto some of my black atlas curtains. I can tell you this for sure that you have to be nice to your mylar curtains or they will wrinkle and look horrible when you pull them out for the next use in your show. I have two colors for mine so I have a box for each color. I would carefully drape the bottom of the section into the box and then let it drape itself down as I lowered it into the box. I have had my curtains for probably ten years. Actually my mylar curtains have outlasted the black atlas ones. Just a tip to make your curtains look better though!

Best of luck!
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi thanks guys,

Zack,,,,where can I find nulash ? do you have a website ?
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11953 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does Nulash wrinkle badly? Can it be made into nice curtains for backdrop (pleated)?
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Any idea of a european supplier of mylar strips or nu-lash fabric for backdrop curtains?
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I've read read from various thread pros including Mike Ching(author of new animations) that the elelash material(nu-lash) is indeed about as good as it gets for thread work. Not the easiest to find, thanks for the link Zack. I had found some at Walmart but it was very limited in stock. I feel it does look more elegant and professional than mylar. It is recommend that by most thread workers to go with the Royal Blue color for best effect. Logic would dictate Blsck to many but from my own experience it is not the case. Any contrasts of reflection between the thread and backdrop can make odd looking flashes with the black.
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Good tips here, just ordered the DAZIAN Catalog!

RED is a very effective color to make lines vanish, Lance Burton uses a sparkling red material for his dancing hank routine. The color is very dramatic though, and not easy to look at for long. Your routine should justify its use.

Blue is calming and fairly effective. Silver works well.

Mylar strip drops are cheap and can be found in most PARTY and many CRAFT SUPPLY shops.

Most professionals avoid using any kind of BLACK backdrop like the plague. Its generally agreed that black is the WORST color drop to use.

It’s a BLACK thread, It’s a BLACK backdrop, WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?!? The Problem IS, “BLACK is only as BLACK as it is LIT, and ANY INTENSITY DIFFERENCE between thread and Backdrop will cause the thread to stand out.” In other words, The potential for “Contrast Flash” and SHINE or GLINT is very high, and since the audience is "burning" you for thread anyway, a glint is all they need to destroy the routine.

I recently went to a convention where I saw a man demonstrating some very good "invisible" thread. It totally fooled everone he demonstrated it. To check the theory I moved to a spot where the thread overlapped a black drape in the backround, and there it was, suddenly very easy to pick out.

According to Charles Reynolds and other knowledgeable men, Blackstone Sr. and his contemporaries most often experienced “line flash” in front of the black side curtains (known in theatre circles as "legs").

BLACK Drops are also a bad idea psychologically because pedestrian (lay) audiences come to this same conclusion: BLACK drops MUST mean threads are used!

Nice meeting you all.

-MikeC
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Mike is right on the Money. I recommend his book highly for a good overview.

Ralph Adams and John Calvert both used a print fabric that was kind of busy but worked in full light. Blackstone Jr. use a cream colored eyelash curtin.

Black is the worse color to use.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
(Thanks for your kind words Richard, that is a great compliment coming from you!)
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Richard,

Glad to see you are back offering your advice on the Café
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will be back but in limited capacity due to past problems. I just don't need the aggravation.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Is it ELElash or EYElash material?
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Commonly called "EYElash" as it kind of looks as though its made of millions of false eyelashes sewn together, lots of "little metallic fringe". Perhaps there is a brand name called Elelash.

Idea is a backdrop that seems to shift and continue to change, sparkles here and there. DC turns fans on his backdrop during FLYING to have it "ripple" even more, or it could be stagehands moving it.

Some headliners used huge drops of sparkling bead curtains, though I am not much of a fan of those, The pattern is kind of predictable, and for whatever the reason, I can always pick out lines against them.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The idea is to light the performance area while avoiding harsh direct light, no hot spots. A bright backdrop helps to brighten the stage, not to mention the obvious.
POOF!
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Good observation. Here is a link to another M.Cafe area where the discussion is more specific on LIGHTING:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=55
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5652 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-04-07 20:03, Mike Ching (Hawaii) wrote:
RED is a very effective color to make lines vanish, Lance Burton uses a sparkling red material for his dancing hank routine.

Thanks for the above info.

Quote:
The color is very dramatic though, and not easy to look at for long.

Excellent tip! I feel, if the above is coupled with bright lights directed from the front edge of the stage towards the spectators (eyes) will make even a thick thread invisible. This is just a thought!

Quote:
Your routine should justify its use.

Good point!

Mike Ching, thank you so much for the very logical, practical, informative & educative post. You have said it all in that single post. Smile

Best,

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
844 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Has anyone used a black metallic backdrop to hide th***d? I am not talking about velvet, but a metallic knit like an eyelash (nu-lash) or a black mettalic boucle.

I use a royal blue mettalic knit on our side curtains and was looking for the black mettalic (it does glitter when lit directly).

Any input would be appreciated!

Lou
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Glitter backdrop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL