The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Glitter backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Aloha Lou;

Good to hear from you again.

I can only guess at your result, on one hand the glittering (more the better) would be effective camoflauge, on the other hand your line may glint against the black.

As seen here on some sections, Ralph adams used (or suggested) a dark blue drop with scattered bright sequins. Perhaps if you experience flash that is the solution, to scatter and attach contrasting large sequins or glitter points across the drop.

Please let me know your result.

Mahalo
-Mike
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
844 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Dazians also makes a royal blue/black material and a silver/black material. I may try one of those as well.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Lou
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Sounds good.

I used to use silver Mylar drop and it was fairly effective, though lit straight on it could be hard to look at, also any "gaps" in it could leave you vulnerable to flash.

I have to go look at the blue/black & silver/black sounds intriguing.

Can't wait to hear.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was thinking about purchasing the Spider Flex from Stevens Magic Emporium. But I thinking about the disadvantage of the mylar in the middle. I wonder if that section can be replaced with another fabric.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Dear Dynamike,

Yes, the middle-section is available in other colors. Mine is black (same as the curtains on the spider-flex)
I highly recommend the spider-flex !
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Mylar is an effective backdrop, but be aware of a few flaws to it:

1. your Mylar drop must be FULL, in other words, even small gaps in the hanging strips can cause a line to show up. Actually check this out and see.

2. Try to avoid hitting the drop with a strong spot from directly in front near eye level. This is not only a bad lighting angle for lines, but may cause bright flashes bouncing directly back into the audiences eyes, which can be VERY hard to look at. ("Distracting" is one thing, "Glare" is something else.)

3. Packing to avoid tangling can be an issue. We wound up pulling the Mylar sections back into their original packing (long plastic tube/bags), though I see here the idea of carefully dropping it into a large ((ziploc?) bag. Nice idea!
jacoblucas
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of jacoblucas
Where can I find such a backdrop. and are they difficult to maintain. I need something which can camoflauge thread on stage. Are mylar sheet strip curtains much cheaper alternate ? Thanks.
========================================
hi. you can get all types of backdrop & mylar sheet strip curtains in different color with as per your size at EMAIL:sparkuni@yahoo.com conatct them ials have 3 back drops one is like spider type
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Q. "Where can I find such a backdrop. and are they difficult to maintain. I need something which can camoflauge thread on stage. Are mylar sheet strip curtains much cheaper alternate ? Thanks."

THOUGHTS:

Aloha

Mylar strips can be a pain to maintain tangle-free, but they are (relatively) inexpensive. Something more lightweight and trasnportable is the "sequin-cloth" material available at many fabric shops that looks like many sequins, though it is actually a nylon or mylar type lame' material. This can be rather thin and see-through with any kind of backlighting though, so we throw our over a solid color drop as a backing and pull it away for a scene change.

Of course there are many other options. Good luck

-Mike C

(PS Lou; how is your DAZIANS material working out?)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Glitter backdrop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL