The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What a SCREAM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Ok, so Edvard Munch's THE SCREAM has been stolen by an armed gang. What on earth are they going to do with it?
What would you do with it if you'd pulled off this crime?

First thing I'd do is put it face against the wall as I think it pretty grotesque to start with. Ransom the only option I guess as you'll never sell this. There may be criminal art collectors in movies who'd buy this for their private collections but not in real life surely!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Recently heard a tale on Prairie Home Companion of a stolen Stradivarius resurfacing after 50 years. The thief confessed from his deathbed to his wife, who later turned it in. It was apparently very dirty because the guy could obviously not take it anywhere where they knew instruments, for fear of it being recognized, but he did play it much of that time in very small venues. It has a new owner now.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GrumpyOwl
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of GrumpyOwl
Seems crazy to steal such well known pieces, if they wanted something like it, then why not get a big poster of famous Football referee Pierluigi Collina -

http://guestchat.rediff.com/sports/footb......7col.jpg
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
It almost makes you want to paint!
Smile
Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
It very well could end up in some rich persons mansion. Do not count out the greed of humans when you think of what they are capable of.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The sad thing is that the thieves cut the painting out of the framework with a box-cutter.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
(Hands at sides of face) AAAAHHHHHHH!
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
It's terrible! I work only 10 minutes from the Munch Museum and we were all shocked when we heard about it.
The art professors at the Museum tell the two paintings who got stolen: The Scream and The Madonna have a total price of $ 100.000.000(!) if they where to be sold at an auction.
Since it's told that only one of the three robbers spoke any norwegian the Police suspect foreign Mafia to be responsable, but they still belive the paintings to be in Norway at this moment.

Since they are impossible to sell on the open marked it's eighter a "sicko" who wants them over his fireplace, or there will be a ransom for them.

Hope they are still in one piece..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I would love to have this hanging on my wall.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Actually you are probably right Samuel. I have just read an article on how many famous works of art have disappeared and never turned up again.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Five years in a a prison has taught me a lot about the worst side of humanity.

BTW, that is where I WORK, not where I live.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
This stinks of theft to order.
If you are stinking rich. like £700 million plus, you have everything you can buy.
People in this position start to want things they cant have. They offer lots of cash to people prepared to steal for them.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Actually the armed gang where supposed to get paid like $70.000 for each painting, but there are rumors that one of the paintings is ruined - if that's the case, it's tragic.
Still, I wonder why art is worth that much money though?
-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
akxi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of akxi
Hey. I'm from norway. just wonderd, guys do you say munch: with an o or you when you pronounce it??
it's not enough to see it. you have to feel it....
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
With a 'u' akxi. I guess you tend to lean towards the 'o' pronunciation in Norway. Notice how I said the Edward as Edvard? This comes about being a lifetime lover of the music of Edvard Greig . . .

Only $70k. per painting Eirik! Not a lot really out of a rich man's purse for such famous works of art.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

I have a Stradivarius and a Picaso.

Problem is its a Stradivarius painting and a Picaso violin.

Just where did I go wrong.

LOL

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
There's a rumor that Osama felt that his cave was a little drab and needed a makeover. "Maybe a cheerful painting," he said.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Smile

Is that $70k with or without the frame???
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
That's without the frame, the police found pieces of the frame, and they still fear the paintings have been ruined. The thieves are still at large too...
Wonder how this is going to end.

-e-
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Its like the paintings that stolen over here a little while ago the were dumped the next day so the theives could make a point of how easy it was to take them.
I quite like the scream its all this crazy emotion and I just find it a very intelligent piece. OOh just found an original scream on ebay!
matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What a SCREAM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL