The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scotch & Soda or Gaff On the Rocks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Profile of Devils Advocaat
Hi All,

I recently bought 'Scotch & Soda' and my main question is WHY??? Is it just me or is this a truly awful piece of coin magic? Seems like a poor-man's Coin Unique. Nine times out of ten the thing won't even nest properly and when it does I might as well have had a mini-vice clamped to the table to do the job - my fingers go blue through squeezing! Then there's an audible 'pop' as the 'deed is done'. Now maybe I've got it all wrong and as the 'ad.' says it's '...one of the fastest selling coin tricks...' and maybe I’ve bought a duff, but £21 ($31) for *this*? Maybe this post should be in the ‘Good, bad or garbage’ section. Under 'Garbage'.

Frank.
Smile
"My Karma ran over my Dogma..."
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Yeah, I watched it once and when he did it, it made that nasty pop of the coins fitting into each other. So nasty. I thought he messed up and I didn't say anything.
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

So, gimmick1586, you mean I *haven't* bought a duff? It **really** is c***? I was going to return it Mon. am. Smile Smile Smile

Frank.
dboeren
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
16 Posts

Profile of dboeren
I think you should tell us who made the set that you bought. Perhaps it's just a poor brand and is cheaply made. Buying the same gimmick from a quality vendor might make all the difference in the world.
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Yes, I'll tell you, it was cobbled together by Sterling Magic.

STERLING; adj. [usually before noun] (formal) of excellent quality. Smile

Frank.
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
I have a set from Johnson and have never had problems with it-no popping, no problems nesting; sounds like it's the manufacturer?
youngdanf
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of youngdanf
It totally depends on the company. I got one that is perfect and people can examine it all they want, but my cousin bought one just a few weeks ago and it almost falls out if you turn it upside down. Make sure you get a good one if you're going to buy it.
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Well the one I heard that pop was a Sterling Magic one.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You know you guys can tighten or loosen the gaff if yours is too loose or too tight.

To tighten it, un-nest it and roll the silver half on its edge on a hard surface like tile.

To loosen it put a silk in the silver half and nest the gimmick very tightly, then use the bang ring to bang it back out.
Click to visit:
ChaseTheAce
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
2 Posts

Profile of ChaseTheAce
Now as far as uses.... I saw a routine once that used a change purse, the extra Centavo, the Gaffus Coins and the Bang ring.... the ending is neat as all get out too! You need to see this one.... I forget the guy who did it, all I know is he raved about how he is the only one that does it that way.

Chase
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You can avoid any problem with the gimmick simply by not using a gimmick at all!
That's why I came up with my No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda that appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring some time back.
It also avoids reset problems (and that "wonderful" bang ring) and the phony sound and feel of the gimmicked coin.
If anyone is interested in my routine and handling, e-mail me privately and I'll be happy to send it to you gratis!
(Aren't I a nice guy?)
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
DirtBiker0025
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of DirtBiker0025
I got the same set, mine works fine, it used to make a little pop but after using it, it works fine, maybe you got a junky one.
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Just to let you all know, I exchanged the S&S I had for another today. Looks as though the first one was indeed a duff.

Thanks to that kind Gent, Peter Marucci, I am now studying his routine for said effect. Thanks, Peter.

Frank.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Between a good set and Peter's instructions you should be able to slay them. Remember to save your coin set for when you run into trouble and they demand to see the coins up to the last second. Peters handling is great. Been doing it for about a week or so, and its starting to feel very comfortable and natural now.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Peter,

You are a nice guy! The routine you wrote on this subject works well.

For years (when I worked out of the Reno area) I was known as someone who did not use any "gimmicks". Then the shhhh, secret was let out.

Sleights or "gimmicks" the magic is in you and directing and entertaining your audience whether of 1 or 1000.

Harris

Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
There are many routines and miracles that can be performed with the scotch and soda. I avoid the classic handlings like the plague.

You got to buy a Johnson product or you are wasting your money. The craftsmanship is perfect. Same thing goes for hopping halves. Smile
Daniel Faith
MagiclDave
View Profile
New user
Maryland
50 Posts

Profile of MagiclDave
I bought one on e-bay for like $15 and it was made by a c***** company but it still works great even though I don't like the trick itself.

-Dave Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Scotch & Soda or Gaff On the Rocks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL