The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Jay Sankey's "Revolutionary Card Magic" DVD Set (volumes 1 & 2) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Quote:
On 2004-08-26 11:45, Yves Tourigny wrote:
Hi griff13,

It is a trick about romance, two hearts that come together. I do not want to divulge too much here but with these few words you will undoubtedly recognize it.

Have fun at the lecture,

Yves

Yup, that's an effect he showed us during the Toronto lecture as well. It's quite good, simple and direct. Take good notes though...because it's not explained on the DVDs nor in his lecture notes. Smile

digitaltrip
griff13
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of griff13
Thanks Yves!

And thank you digitaltrip also! that's a good tip on the lecture. I'm normally not a note taker. But if its not in the lecture notes, I guess I better be prepared Smile
jaybaby
View Profile
New user
Australia
87 Posts

Profile of jaybaby
Its now available at penguin, along with a demo video
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
It sure is! Maybe I should get another one... Smile Just kidding.

digitaltrip
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Penguin has them now.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
toberman
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of toberman
What price is this being sold for at Sankey's lectures?
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Thanks for the very detailed review.I might start thinking about getting these.
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Quote:
On 2004-09-03 01:32, toberman wrote:
What price is this being sold for at Sankey's lectures?

Hi toberman,

It was $50 CAN at the lecture here in Toronto.

digitaltrip
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1954 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I suggest you go to his lecture if you get a chance, because of the small savigs that you get, but he also gave away a set of notes for the people that attended his lecture.. Im not sure if he will do it for all his lectures, but its still worth checking out... Im not even a fan of his magic, but I do like listening to him speak about his theories in magic performance...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Wow! What a review.Did'nt your fingers get tired?After that review I might have to get these.
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Quote:
On 2004-09-04 05:01, Rcitgo wrote:
Wow! What a review.Did'nt your fingers get tired?After that review I might have to get these.

They sure did...but I spread it over a couple days so it wasn't that bad. Smile Anyway, glad you enjoyed the review!

digitaltrip
griff13
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of griff13
27. ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON - The selection appears in a borrowed salt shaker! The spectator calls "stop" on a random card as his selection. The magician rips the corner of that selected card and places it on the table in full view. The ripped card is then pushed into the middle of the deck, lost. He then takes out a rubber band and wraps up the entire deck with it. Then he takes a borrowed salt shaker and hits the deck with it. Visibly a play card appears from within the salt shaker. He takes it out and it's the spectator's signed card with the corner ripped out of it. The corner that was in full view is then matched up with the salt shaker card and everything perfectly matches.
----------------------------------

A borrowed salt shaker?? Or is this a borrowed shaker he has had a chance to examine? Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Digital, WOW! You really outdid yourself on that review! My hats off to you!

I enjoyed reading yourn descriptions immensely, and am determined to get this, when I can come up with the bucks.

Question: Personally, which of those effects were your personal favorites? Out of all those, do you have any idea which ones, in your judgement, were the very strongest?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Quote:
On 2004-09-04 20:12, griff13 wrote:
27. ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON - The selection appears in a borrowed salt shaker! The spectator calls "stop" on a random card as his selection. The magician rips the corner of that selected card and places it on the table in full view. The ripped card is then pushed into the middle of the deck, lost. He then takes out a rubber band and wraps up the entire deck with it. Then he takes a borrowed salt shaker and hits the deck with it. Visibly a play card appears from within the salt shaker. He takes it out and it's the spectator's signed card with the corner ripped out of it. The corner that was in full view is then matched up with the salt shaker card and everything perfectly matches.
----------------------------------

A borrowed salt shaker?? Or is this a borrowed shaker he has had a chance to examine? Smile

This is misleading there is some set-up before hand...but it can be done to a borrowed salt shaker...typical Jay descriptions.
~joeKing
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
How about the "With OVER FIVE HOURS of innovative, eye-popping card magic" promise? Is it really that long? I guess I'll have to wait till I receive it
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Quote:
On 2004-09-06 18:44, in flames wrote:
How about the "With OVER FIVE HOURS of innovative, eye-popping card magic" promise? Is it really that long? I guess I'll have to wait till I receive it

It's actually about 4 hours long. The first volume is about 1:18 hours and the second volume is 2:42 hours.

digitaltrip

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 10:21pm
Quote:

On 2004-09-06 14:53, daffydoug wrote:
Digital, WOW! You really outdid yourself on that review! My hats off to you!

I enjoyed reading yourn descriptions immensely, and am determined to get this, when I can come up with the bucks.

Question: Personally, which of those effects were your personal favorites? Out of all those, do you have any idea which ones, in your judgement, were the very strongest?

Hey Doug,

No problem! Glad you liked it!

Some of my personal favourites include:
Cardivores, In Captivity, Helter Skelter, I.D., Fort Knox, Paper Cut, Assault With A Deadly Weapon, etc. For me, I found "I.D." very strong...along with "Cardivores" and "In Captivity". I haven't tried them out yet on people but from an effect standpoint, they're pretty good in my opinion. There's more that I like too...I just can't remember them at the moment (27 effects on the DVDs!).

Even after writing my own review, I'm most curious about what others think about the DVD too! I hope more reviews will come in.

digitaltrip
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I second that. The more the better. Always helps to have many perspectives.

Still, I like Sankey, and negative reviews would be hard pressed to dissuade me from ordering when I come up with the dough.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Thanks again for the "Brief" review! However I don't understand why you were so brief, please take a little more time next time to elaborate a little more. I hate those short reviews. Smile

Brief my $#%@! lol. Very informative, and one of the best I have ever seen. Keep up the good work! Smile

Posted: Sep 9, 2004 1:24am
I like the fact that all the secrets are on the second dvd. This would allow for magicians to show dvd 1 to their friends, or other magicians for their opinions on the effects, without worry of divulging the secrets. great idea!
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Hi sirbrad,

Yup, that's definitely how it's structured with these DVDs...volume 1 is performances (all 27 of them!) and volume 2 is explanations of effects & sleights. And no problem about writing the review, I'm glad you found it informative! As for it being brief, I'll try harder next time. Smile In the future, I'll elaborate so much that the Café will have to get another web server to host my content.

digitaltrip
Piglet
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
81 Posts

Profile of Piglet
Too bad Jay didn't come to edmonton.. Smile I would have love to have gone to his lecture! I'm debating which DVD to get I was planning on getting JAy's revo coin magic or this one now... I know its 2 different choices.. I never did anything with coin before tho.. and would like to learn. .but I love card magic and would love to expand my knowledge.. can the tricks in the card dvd be performed on the spot??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Jay Sankey's "Revolutionary Card Magic" DVD Set (volumes 1 & 2) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL