The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Jay Sankey's "Revolutionary Card Magic" DVD Set (volumes 1 & 2) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 00:21, e-man wrote:
I saw Jay lecture in Columbus,Ohio in November last year,Some guys cell phone went off and the man started talking and finaly left the room

Never take a ham sandwich to a buffet.
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 00:57, Joe Mauro wrote:
We're all human and make mistakes.

Especially a rotten ham sandwich.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
You have to like Jay's humor to really appreciate this dvd's. I liked the effects and his sleight explanations but hated the way the dvd's are produced. I like it that the tricks are done before an audience as in his "the best of J S" serie and not in the hall of an hotel with the sound of a fan that is constantly interfering with the sound of the explanation. Producing a dvd needs more than the occasional amateur digital camera filmer.
Personnally I hope that for his next dvd's Jay will show more respect for his customers in hiring a professional with professional images and sounds as a result.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7009 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Well... Front Row Sankey's explanations are shot on broadcast quality video. Seemed very professional to me.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
orbit17
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of orbit17
Both revolutionary coin and card magic projects by sankey are fantastic in my opinion
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I have to say that I performed Jay Sankey's Practice Pack from his Rev. Card Magic and man'o'man, my audiences just love it. I have my collegues asking me when I'm going to show them more tricks because they were so impressed by The Practice Pack. I started out with Fiber Optics and then the Practice Pack which lend nicely to it. So, I say a big thank you to Jay, your my mentor as always!!!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jonash1982
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of jonash1982
I was myself a bit dissapointed with Rev. Card Magic. It is not at teh same level as Rev. Coin magic and is weaker than much of the previous material he put out.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Has anyone here like Tracking Device? I'm thinking of using two Danish Ore coins for this effect instead of buttons which Jay Sankey demonstrated in one of his earlier dvd. I'm curious if you guys/gals enjoy doing this very clever effect?
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Revolutionary Card Magic DVD set was slapped together to make money. The filming is bad and the effects are horible.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
Which ones don't you like, and why, Chris? I don't think this is the best collection of effects Sankey has put out by a long way, but 'horrible'? No, they're not that bad by any stretch and there is some good work on sleights here too.
The production quality is admittedly pretty shoddy, as it was for Secret Files but it's easily good enough to see the effects and understand the explanation. I'm not sure how better production values would have added value to the DVD. You won't be showing off your home cinema with it.
It sure is put together to make money and my biggest gripe with JS is the sheer volume of material he's putting out. Some magician's publish one or two books at the end of their careers containing the highlights of a lifetimes work but Sankey's published effects must number in the hundreds now. Most of it has something to commend it, but no way has most of this material been regularly performed for real people - there's just too much of it. A lot of these effects must be created solely to put on a new DVD to market.
On the other hand, show me a DVD that *isn't* marketed to make money...
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
WOW! That was one gooood review, thanks fot the help! I will definatley be getting it!
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 20:26, evolve629 wrote:
Has anyone here like Tracking Device? I'm thinking of using two Danish Ore coins for this effect instead of buttons which Jay Sankey demonstrated in one of his earlier dvd. I'm curious if you guys/gals enjoy doing this very clever effect?

I think it's a wonderful effect. I only tried to perform it once, but the button was not secure enough and it fell off before I even started. Oh well.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Sorry to hear that, Jordini. I guess it pays to sew the suckers down like a combat device. I'd use double thread to nail the buttom or the ore coin down. Just my .2/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Jay Sankey's "Revolutionary Card Magic" DVD Set (volumes 1 & 2) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL