The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Stage Name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Does anyone know if a Stage Name can be copyrighted or trademarked to protect it from being used by someone else. If so, how can I register the name?

Thanks
Cabrera
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Register it as your business name.

Steve

Posted: Aug 26, 2004 10:11am
---------------------------------------------
Also, if you devise a distinct logo for it, you can register it as a trade mark.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Ryan Birch
View Profile
Regular user
North Wales
142 Posts

Profile of Ryan Birch
If that is too expensive use a really stupid name that nobody else would want to use Smile
"NO Ryan! I do NOT want to see another one of your silly magic tricks!" - my mum
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Do a google search for trademarks. What you need is a Servicemark.

Trademark (used or intended to be used for goods) a Servicemark (used or intended to be used in providing a service).

I know that most clowns register thier names and even their clown face. I do not know where they do this, but I can find out.

Ray
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2443 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
No, you don't want to go to the expense of registering it as a trademark or service mark.

Go to the county courthouse. Register your name as a DBA ("doing business as") - should cost maybe $10 with a few bucks to a notary to make it legal.

That gives you the exclusive right, in your county, to use that name in the conduct of business.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Sorry rossmacrae, Magical Dimensions is correct. registering a name as a DBA or even as a corporate name will not protect the name as a service mark or trademark. If you want to protect the name as a service mark, it is best to register it either with the state or the federal government.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Stage Name (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL