The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppets performing magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Let's throw in some ideas. Puppets performing magic.

I can think of production of mouth coil from puppet's mouth and making puppet bird lay an egg.

Anyone else who can think of magic for puppets?
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I have my tie a knot on a rope.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
581 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Steve Taylor has a tape/DVD called "Fooling Your Dummy" that has lots of good ideas. The DVD is really just a copy of the tape on disk. It doesn't have menu access to the various segments, but the material is very good.

He has a really funny mentalist routine where the figure reads an audience member's mind and guesses the chosen card.

I thought it would be fun to have the figure read my mind first as a joke.

Oliver
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Bill Larsen wrote a book called (I think) "Tricks with Puppets" many years ago. I am not sure if it is still in print or available in open stock, but it shows up in used books from time to time. It is a great idea generator, if nothing else.

FWIW,

Pix
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Maher Studios has a book written by the late bill boley that is full of magic tricks that can be done one handed with a ventriloquist figure. Its called Ventrilo magic. I think.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
The book is indeed called Ventrilo-Magic. There are lots of great ideas for combining puppets and magic, even if you aren't a ventriloquist. Highly recommended!

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Don Alan used a rabbit-in-hat puppet to do a card trick.

I have a rabbit (NOT in a hat) puppet that loans his "do-rag" (he's a hip-hop hare!) for a 20th Century Silk bit for kids.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I do FLito Flower with my monkey puppet. With my crow I do the sponge ball bit and a silk & change bag routine.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I do the 'Balistic silk vanish' from Clyde the buzzard's mouth.

We have a lot of fun at the beginning of the routine like this -

Me - Now just hold onto the silk in your beak Clyde. Have you got it.
Clyde - Yes. (When he speaks the silk drops. I don't see it but Clyde looks down at the silk and back to me as I'm talking. The kids go wild. Eventually I notice and put it back in Clyde's mouth)
Me - Now keep hold of it this time.
Clyde - Mm hmm.
Me - That's good. Have you got it tight?
Clyde - Mm hm
Me - Great, just don't let go
Clyde - No (silk drops again....etc.)

Cheers
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Dick Barry sells a Crow with a squeaker in it, that finds a card in a closed card box. I usually start out having a spec choose a card, losing it back into the deck, and then being unable to find it. So a noise starts (crow like cawing, as I mimick the sound the puppet makes) and then I "find out where the cawing is coming from" and bring him out and he squeaks and caws and I act like I understand him saying he can find the missing card. So I "argue with him" and finally relent to let him try, but I tell the audience, I am going to make it hard it on him. He will will have to find the card in a closed card card box. And he turns and looks most chagrined as twists his mouth all up and looks all around the audience for help. Then I put the cbox in his mouth, and even have a spectator check to sure that there are no loose cards outside of the card box which is now in Max's mouth.

And on the count of three, he spits out the card box, and only one car remains in his mouth; the selected card. This particular effect could actually be done with almost any soft mouthed puppet, and if you are interested, get one of these from Dick, and then adapt it to another puppet. I got mine from him at The Cleveland IBM International Convention, and it was only about $20+ dollars, and the idea alone is certainly worth that much money.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
173 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I do a great kids show trick with my axtell Vern puppet. I take a rope and time a slip knot in the rope then place the rope in the brids mouth and say he is going to untie the knot with his tounge. Then bird makes several silly movements and the opens to show the not has been up tied. I untie the knot when I stick it in his mouth. I just hold the knot in his beak and give the rope a little tug. The knot comes right out and nobody notices. I also tie the slip not right in front of them and they never question it. I get such a huge reaction from the kids because it reinforces the fact that the puppet is real. They are blown away. I usually close my bird routine with that! It's a killer.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Have an animal puppet take a bite on a jumbo deck of cards to find a selected card.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
It's been quite a while...but I used to do balls from my mouth and my puppets.

It included productions, color changes etc....

The first book on the subject I knew of was the Bill Boley book mentioned above.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
stevezany
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of stevezany
I perform the vanishing Coke bottle with one of my characters.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
The stiffed rope is a favorite for my Ax parrot or dodo Smile

For nutrition month...my figure Nicolo drinks milk Smile

Nicolo also does mind reading but for repeat clients only requesting for a new routine. He can guess what anybody is holding even if HE is blindfolded. I was planning to follow this up with a blindfold on me as well so I bought a gimmicked blindfold here in the Caf� but never actually tried it yet.

It's not magic..but my Ax turtle attempts to make a ball disappear in his mouth...a look no see routine. Smile

I was also planning to suspend Nicolo via the chair suspension...just cover his mouth with the cloth so he can talk and make side comments during the routine. But I sold the chair suspension so I never really tried the routine...plus I asked for some suggestions and some magicians said the idea might not be nice since nobody will be excited on a suspended puppet. Smile I wish I have tried it though.

I saw a famous vent cut his figure in half using a box ala "thin sawing." Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Here my version of an Ali Cadabra trick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jndx43PL1vQ
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Nice job Colin ! I like the wide diameter of the change bag. I have had problems with the bags I have been using, as they are barely wide enough for any of my puppets, bird or otherwise, to get their heads in. Who made your bag ?

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
The change bag is from Practical Magic in the UK. It worked better with my old Axtell Parrot, the new one has a stuffed head!
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Thanks , Colin !

I am no stranger to ordering from the UK, so I will give them a shout....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 15:05, TRUMPETMAN wrote:
Nice job Colin ! I like the wide diameter of the change bag. I have had problems with the bags I have been using, as they are barely wide enough for any of my puppets, bird or otherwise, to get their heads in. Who made your bag ?

Mark

Mark,

You might also consider one of Jozo Bozo's change hats as these are quite large and would work quite well with a puppet. His hats are three way change bags.

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppets performing magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL