The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Don Alan dice cup info wanted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I'm hoping the vast repository of knowledge here in the virtual realm of The Café' can answer a question for me.
When the late, great Don Alan passed away, his son sold some of his equipment. I purchased a dice cup and am looking for a little info on it.
The cup is black dyed leather, 3-7/8" tall and 2-1/4" in diameter. Tooled into the bottom are the words "Handcrafted by," underneath those are the initials J P. My ageing eyes are unsure but it looks like below the initials are the numbers 9 0. The 0 is very clear, the 9 I'm not sure about.
As it should be, the inside walls are straight, no lip and the stitiching is excellent.
If anybody has any info for me, I would appreciate it greatly.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Cculd be from J.P. Jackson, of San Diego. J.P. has been making magic props for years. He is best known for his C.C. Knves, but manufactured other equipment as well. He (J.P.) was big into close-up when I knew him, and made a dice set for the Crandall Dice Routine, I think. Don had severral cups over the years, even used a cut-down pencil cup once upon a time...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Thanks so much. J.P. used to be a customer of mine and I hear from him occasionally but I never knew he had done the dice work. I'll give him a call and see if that pans out. No email, unfortunately. He complains he's too old to learn computers. Our loss.
Dave Dorsett
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
J.P. says he's too old? hahahah... I'm sure it is he.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Well, shoot! Great suggestion, but a blind alley. Just got off the phone with J.P. and he didn't make the dice cup. Had a great conversation and he offered to buy it from me but didn't have too much other info.
He suggested Joe Porper but neither of us thought he did leather work, so...
any other ideas?
Dave Dorsett
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Joe Porper DOES MAKE DICE CUPS. They are beauties.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Thanks for the confirmation on this. I'll try that avenue next. This one is certainly nicely made so it's a possibility.
Dave Dorsett
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Don Alan dice cup info wanted (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL