The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blood Guts and Geeks or Fire eating and glass walking et. al. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I hope enough has been said about the geek word. We've discussed this before on this site. I don't like the word for the same reasons Slim posted. It's not accurate, and regardless of the user's intent,it always has a derogitory feel to it when applied to our kind of performance art.

As for the glass walk, it is like anything else. If you make it about the audience and what they can relate to, then it will sell. Ask if anyone has ever gotten a sliver of glass caught in their feet. Get the audience reliving that experience, then pour out that mound of broken bottles and ask them to imagine what it would be like to walk over all that in bare feet. Where you go with it from there is up to your own style. You can do it with a comic slant, as a thrashing punk, superhuman wonder worker or a gazillion other angles. It all depends on who your audience is and what point (no pun intended) you want them to take away from the experience.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Thanks Todd. I have a little vid of you "Glass Dancing" and it's a wonderful performance...You set a high standard. Seeing you work should be mandatory. In my opinion, most of the seekers here have no idea what makes a PERFORMANCE! Whenever an act is done without meaning, it makes gigs harder to get for the next guy, and demeans the business...
Keep a candle burning.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
The term "geek", seems to be part of the descriptive vernacular. That's kinda why it keeps popping up! If some have decided it is inaccurate, that's fine and perhaps a good thing. But the fact that it has "been discussed to death" on this forum does not make for a societal change. It will take a lot more understanding, patience and perseverance to accomplish that.

Even so, in my list of societal change in the art of magic, that probably would not rank all that high for me.

In the words of Devant -

All done in kindness.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Suppose I were to call non sideshow performing "Puke Magic." By your rules that would be OK?

Slim, Who by the way, would not do such an offensive thing
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blood Guts and Geeks or Fire eating and glass walking et. al. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL