We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Non Professionals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Just to set the record straight.

I would like to know which magicians did not perform professionaly but somehow contributed to the art of Magic.

I would say Alex Elmsley is one. Stewart James (postman) and Ed Marlo?

And what are their real profession?
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Ed Marlo did perform professionaly and at one time was part owner in a bar that he and a small group of magicians turned into a magic bar.

His wife did not like the late nights and Ed Getting back when the sun was coming up.

Ed DID have a successful performing life as a professional magician. And his books show that because they have effects in them that he performed.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2691 Posts

Profile of sethb
J.G. Thompson, Jr. was a bank president who loved magic and was a very talented amateur. He invented a number of effects, mostly mental effects. The "J.G. Thompson Coin" is available from Johnson Products for its Okito coin boxes. Although he may have performed professionally, I'm not aware of it.

He wrote numerous books, including MY BEST, which I believe you can still obtain from Hank Lee and other dealers. The book is a compilation of effects from other amateur magicians. I think he was good friends with Bill Severn, who authored CLASSIC SECRETS OF MAGIC and a number of other excellent magic books. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
I Cast No Shadow
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of I Cast No Shadow
Was Gen. U.F. Grant a performer? I know he invented a TON of stuff, but did he actually have a stage show or anything?
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious" - Murphy's Corollary
sanju
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of sanju
I know Ed Marlo was a die cutter by profession.
Joe Porper makes pool cues.
Vernon cut sillhoutettes.
Curtis Kam's a lawyer.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13749 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Let's not forget David Regal in this list. To my knowledge he is mainly a TV writer.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are also several fellows who gave up promising careers to go into magic full time. For example, Terry Seabrooke gave up a promising career as an insurance salesman.

Anyone know what Joe Stevens did before he became a magic dealer?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7340 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
He played semi pro basketball and sold Fuller Brush. He would have played professional but when he worked for Fuller Brush over the summer he made so much he could not afford to quit to play basketball.

Caryle Fleming was a Bank President. W. W. Durbin was a politician, lawyer and businessman who almost single handly got the IBM off the ground. He also had the first magic convention.

Billy Russel was the Mayor of Batavia. Harold Rice was an art professor. Russ Walsh was an executive in a Steel company.

The guys that made their fortunes 100% in magic are few and and far between. Either they made their money elsewhere or their is old family money. But this is no way to say they were not great contributors or performers to our art.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I believe, Milt Kort, was an amature. He was a pharmacist.
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lloyd E. Jones: Pharmacist
Dr. Albo: Disney Animator
Albert Goshman: Bagel Baker and children's portrait photographer
Billy McComb: Doctor but never went into practice
Dariel Fitzkee: Audio Engineer
Milt Larsen: Comedy Writer
Bill Larsen Jr.: TV Producer
Bill Larsen Sr.: Laywer
Irene Larsen: Figure Skater
Carol Roy: Figure Skater
Dean Dill: Barber
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I found the same was true of many of the very successful recording artists. That is that they had other businesses, trades or methods of generating income. They simply enjoyed performing professionally.
While by others' standards they made top dollar as stage entertainers and recording artists, it was only one of their interests.

I remember generating some good bookings for Roy Orbison in the 60s, just to be turned down because he needed to look at some oil fields.

One advantage of talented people, is that they tend to have no problem walking and chewing gum at the same time. Some are very good managers of their own time and resources and live very balanced lives.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Pete Biro wrote:

Quote:
Dr. Albo: Disney Animator
Was this before he was a neurosurgeon?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
You beat me to that one, Bill. Yes, he worked for Disney before becoming a surgeon. I think he's an orthopedic surgeon.

For those of youwho are curious about exploring this topic further, check out J.G. Thompson's My Best. It has 20 pp. and probably over 120 short biographical sketches of magicians, pros and non-pros alike. Also check out Goldston's Who's Who in Magic, which has about 113 pages of biographical sketches conveniently broken down into pro, semi-pro and non-pro categories. The same book was also issued as part of Tricks that Mystify (a 4 in 1 book). Also try Dorny's Trix & Chatter, which also provides biographical details on several non-pros.

Happy reading!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Dr. Albo is the physician for the SF Raiders
or which ever football team in the bay area
currently.

As far the full-time magicians who actually
made a career out of it back in the day
when you could did not rely on any other
source or family money. They strictly either
built magic and/or did shows...like my parent's,
Jim Sommers, Jay Marshall (almost), George Johnstone,
etc etc.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Non Professionals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL