The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » I got one. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Well, after all the talk I bought a conure. I got the cage and all for a decent price, and he's great. He's got somewhat of a nipping problem, but he has no problem getting onto my gloved hand (for now) and he loves my shoulder. Anything I should do to stop the nipping?... Also, he's only squawed loud a few times, and he is relatively quiet. Other then the responses to me, and the dancing =P... He also loves the top of his cage...
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
What type of conure?
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Green Cheek

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
You must NOT use gloves. Just start giving treats with your hand. Eventually, he will step in your hand. From then, you must start disensitizing him by touching him all over and building a trust relationship. Good Luck!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Justin,

Congratulations on your new bird. It is good news that he likes the top of his cage. It is a very practical "safe spot" for him when he gets upset. Most do like a high "safe spot" and it is bad news if it is not practical for you. They aren't always welcome everywhere.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
What are you going to be using him for b/c conures in general tend to be loud and I think they must like to hear themselves scream b/c when we had two of them they didn't stop.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Yes, this one is actually pretty mute. In a dark place he doesn't make a peep. He is jsut SO mean. He bites, and hard. I took the gloves off today Lou, thanks. He still stepped up so that was good. But in my hand he will NOT let me touch any part of him. He will go for my other hand if I do. What are good training treats for them?.. something I can give him repeatitively without him getting sick, or not want to eat. Any ideas?.. thanks guys!

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
Go slow with it, he has to build up his trust in you. Look for signs when he is comfortable, if the bird isn't then they will not be happy.

And just a little fact for everyone It is NOT a natural behavior for a bird to bite a person to the point of bleeding. If your bird bites you this hard it is your fault. Birds will give you signs that they are uncomfortable, it is up to you to pick up on those signs.

Back to your topic Justin, you could try sunflower seeds, bread, or anything that is usually not given to him that he likes. If you feed him sunflower seeds regularly (which you shouldn't) but if you did this then sunflower seeds would not entice him. You want to give him something that is sweet. Try oranges, carrots, broccoli, apples, or grapes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » I got one. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL