The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » T.T. Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SofaKingCool
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of SofaKingCool
Hi, I am new here. Does anyone know where I can get a thumbtip that matches my skin tone better. when I stick a silk in the fake thumb it turns the thumb a differnt color.

thanks
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
If you use a TT the right way,it dosen't matter what color it is.Gary Darwin has several good books out on the TT.(tt thinking and two others)You can get them at any magic shop on line.
Hope this helped,Don
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Some TTs, like Vernet are somewhat translucent. I used to laugh about being able to read the serial number of a bill through one. The best option for this type is to use a color of silk that is of the "Warm" color variety: red, orange, yellow, pink. These are closer to normal skin hues. The "Cooler" colors, green, blue, and purple will cause it to look like you smacked yourself with a hammer.

Another option is to use the soft vinyl TT. They are typically opaque.

Either of these two options is only as valid as your ability to draw fire away from the "bad" hand with your direction of attention. Keep them focused on something they believe to be more important and you could be wearing a chrome plated TT. (It's been done!)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SofaKingCool
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of SofaKingCool
Thanks for the advice Michael and Don.

I will look into the books. I guess I will work on my presentation and handling more to misdirect attention away from the tt.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
There's a lot to be said about the proper handling of a TT. I once saw a lecture on some TT effects where the magician used a TT painted bright blue, and we still couldn't see it! So don't worry too much about exact color hue. With the right handling, it can still be downright invisible.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
What's better to use: a 'soft' tip or a 'hard' tip?

I guess it's personal opinion, but what do you guys use?

-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I prefer the hard tips, because I have had the soft ones sweat and suction themselves to my thumb. The hard ones give me more substance to push against in this instance, and are less prone to this airlock. Of course, that is likely a personal problem with a personal solution.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I prefer the soft ones, becuase the hard ones seem to leave a pressure ring on my T, and after a hard day's work, they irriate my skin.

I have used the soft ones in damp, humid weather, inside and out, and never had one stick to my thumb.

In my case, I guess my thumb is just too big for the hrad ones, and I has used the soft ones enough that they now fit me great.

I rotate among three of them, keep a different kind of streamer rolled up in them. It keep the streamer flat and makes it easy to find the streamer and TT in my pocket.

So as was said previously, it all a personal opinion.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
What's the difference between soft and hard? I have a pair of D'Lites - are they soft or hard?

-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
The D'lites are hard.
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Also perfer hard tips, the Thumbs Up (hard) is great, and really invisible.
I only use the soft one for card shooting etc.

Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-08-31 11:50, Michael Baker wrote:
I prefer the hard tips, because I have had the soft ones sweat and suction themselves to my thumb. The hard ones give me more substance to push against in this instance, and are less prone to this airlock. Of course, that is likely a personal problem with a personal solution.

I would sometimes have the "airlock" problem, the TT would want to come off with the air pressure while pushing it on. I now us a TT with a very small hole in the tip and now I never have that problem. Of course I still must use a regular TT for my "pea can" effect.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I love the Thumb Tip because you can do so much with them
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I like the soft tips. Lately, I prefer the eclipse tip By Jay Scott Berry. The handling seems very natural to me.
Magic is fun!!!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
No comments, just a little tip..

Some tight fitting TTs can de difficult to remove and sometimes even to get put on..

I have always done a counteraction re this, as it is the *air* inside that causes the prob..

Air can be compressed, but still it can give probs..

Soo, simply drill a hole somewhere in the front of the TT, I always did is at an edge section of the nail, but it can almost be anywhere, as long as it is in the front..
It allows air to pass..in and out...

The size is up to you..of course not a big hole, I always could settle at 2-3 mm in Ø, but it can be larger..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi,

for me, when I use a tt and to prevent it from being stuck, I normally sprinkle a little powder into the TT... it sort of absorbs the stickyness that comes from the moisture on the thumb and makes taking off the TT easier....

that works for me....

cheers
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yo,

The harder plastic tips like those Vernet (pronounced ver-net by the by) made famous are virtually all somewhat translucent. The color varies widely between them.

The soft tips are not in fact vinyl which is what I thought for years, but latex rubber and the best are still made in Japan. I and many other dealers have them in stock. They tend to be opaque and with seams. They are also a much more matte finish in hue which is nice. I personally prefer them, but I'll use anything up to and including my impromptu tip that I'll describe below......

Brad's Impromptu Thumb Tips:

#1- Aluminum foil can make a workable tip VERY fast. I have used them in original silver color, but you can also cover them with BAND AID tape from, well, Band Aids!

#2- At the beginning of a meal in a place that has paper napkins take about half (You will want to experiment here) of a napkin and soak it down with water. Mold to your thumb squeezing out all the excess water you can. Place carefully in pocket to dry for as much time as possible. You will be surprised at how well one of these goofy things will work in a pinch! Good luck,

brad burt
http://www.magicshop.com
Brad Burt
madisonmagicshow
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of madisonmagicshow
Good advise! Of all the 'fancy' tricks I have, this has to be one of the simplest and one of the best!
Always entertaining!
poppa
View Profile
New user
Austin, Tx.
73 Posts

Profile of poppa
So what does everyone prefer?

the classic vernet hard tip or one of the newer latex soft tips?
~Poppa Jim Mitchell
http://www.AVisitWithSanta.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I used to use a soft tip, but it seems the hard tip fits better and matches my skin a little closer. On the flip side, I'll use anything that's in my magic tool bag, as I have several TTs. Correct fit is most important in my book but just about anything will make do as long as it fits fairly well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » T.T. Advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL