The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Steal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
My dove keeps getting caught on the pocket. How can I avoid this and reduce drag?

Ben
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Several things may be happening and I'll need some more information to help you.

1. Are your birds nails trimmed?

2. How are you attaching the loop to your jacket?

3. Is your pocket tilted upwards or straight across?

4. Did you make your own pocket or are you using a commercial one like Tony Clark's
Where the magic begins
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
It is tilted up slightly. It is a homemade pocket. My doves nails are trimmed. And my loop is free (I know it is not reliable but I am planning on making Gen. Grant's Loop Holder)

Ben
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Be sure that the bird's head isn't getting caught. If the mouth of the pocket has a stay (stiff wire or plastic sewn in) it will help. Also, line the bottom of the pocket with clear packing tape or cellophane. If the angle is too sharp don't pull out, pull up. Sharply angled pockets are normally for lower loads.
POOF!
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Thanks
Ben
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It sounds like the problem is just the angle you are trying to use. If the pocket is tilted slightly, then the holder and bird must come out at the same angle. In other words, if the pocket is straight across, then the pull must be straight out but if it's tilted, then you must pull up. Kregg's suggestion of packing tape in the pocket will work, but if the material you are using is satin on the inside, which it should be, the material is already slippery enough. The bird will still get caught however if your angle is not correct.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
A good method to find out what's wrong is: Put the opposite thumb in the loop, and rotate your hand so the back of your hand rests on the line. Kick the holder out by turning the top of your hand towards you. Do it quick. If it won't come out that way, then it is definitely your angle, and all you have to do is adjust your steals. It took me forever (ask these guys) to get it right. It'll be like second nature eventually.

Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Here is the way I fix the problem when producing full glasses of red wine. (They can't be allowed to turn over!) Of course it works even better with doves. (I ought to charge you $1000.00 for this!)

Get the very best of fishing swivels (ball bearing) you can find. The total length of mine are about 3/4". Paint them to match your harnesses. Snap the swivel to the harness about 1.5 - 2.0" below the dove's beak (at breast). Tie the line (string or wire) to that. Now when you pull the loop, the heaviest part will stay down. Turning the load to produce it will not shorten the loop or cross the dove's head or feet! The loop will stay below the load as you produce it.

Try it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Great tip Bob.
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Steal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL