The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Classic Force Gone Wrong...Outs (Please Note; Very, Very Surreal. Imagination Necessary) (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Hi guys here is the nightmare scenario
you are onstage performing your set. You are preparing for the final trick an incredible feat. Outside the door at the back of the theatre your well trained llama Ian resides. After a spectator is forced the 6 of clubs. On cue Ian will parade in singing classics by Sinatra (it tends to vary from show to show) whilst showering the audience with llama spit. Then he will remove a pair of shears and begin to shave into his coat the name of the selected Card.
Well that's the plan but instead the classic force you've planned all goes horribly wrong and the spectator picks the King of diamonds. After the card is chosen ian runs in as usual singing his wonderful renditions. He stops and shaves the 6 of clubs into his coat and takes his bow. this bow is met with laughter and Ian runs out in a strop.
What now?
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Yep, I hate it when that happens Smile
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
randomdan
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of randomdan
If that happened to me, I'd cut down on the pot I was smoking - that's for sure Smile

Seriously, I'd say "And while you were all watching the llama, my assistants were stuffing the elephants into my top hat".

Then I'd pull out my ID, and attempt to rescue the effect Smile

Cheers,
RandomDan
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Or I supppose you could say oh my!
My llama only knows how to do numbers as hes a numerical llama. as for letters in your case with a K he's utterly useless.

Tom
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Don't use a classic force - use one with 100% certainty.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Some people only force a card when they do not need to force a card. The classic force is great and I use it all the time. If I need to force a card I find another force.

Or I do the classic force with more than one selection. That way you have more of an opportunity to force it. Because more people take cards.

My Dad (Billy Bishop) used to classic force three cards he did it with three selections on the sword. I used to do the same routine. In fact he was the one that showed it to me.

Forcing three cards to appear on a sword that often scares people. That may be why many magicians use only one card when doing the card sword.

I stopped doing the card sword because of the mess of cards on the floor...

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Well, time for the Invisible Deck, I guess.

Or a decent card index.

Or any number of revelations from a stacked deck.

Or...

Oh, my gosh, the possibilities!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Watch a tape of Tommy Cooper he was a master of getting into and out this situation.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Obviously embarrased, you and the llama get into a heated argument in, Thai, I suppose. The llama accuses you of practicing your classic force when you should have just used the one-way deck like he told you. You pick up the deck, and show the llama and the audience that is, indeed, the six of clube one-way. "Obviously," you say in Thai, "HE must be lying!" (you level an accusing finger at the spectator who insists he chose the only king of diamonds out of an entire deck of sixes)

Infuriated, the llama advances on the spectator, in full Sinatra-esque rage. The spectator dashes out of the theater, with the blue-eyed llama in hot pursuit. Following the sound of a struggle outside, the spectator returns, with the letters "K D" shaved into his hair.

always have an out.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Thai is too pretty a language to have an argument in. You would be better off using Vietnamese or Chinese.

If a llama sang, "Summer Wind" to me, I would totally forget whatever silly card I picked.

Don't let the assistants upstage you.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ricky Jay tried your trick now look at him.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/Robin_and_Ricky.htm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
My Dad (Bo Blindbo) used to do this trick twice a day and three times on Saturday as a matinee. I used to do it too, but he didn't show me. I had to wait until the download version was available from Penguin.

The part you're missing is knowing that this is a sucker effect loaded with misdirection. The Sinatra, the spit, the king...all leaves you time to arrange the fallen hair clippings to spell the chosen card.
Hope this helps.
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of flipped
Could use a one way force deck
Steveo
View Profile
New user
Shreveport, Louisiana
25 Posts

Profile of Steveo
I had something of that sort happen to me (maybe not that big) but I did a classic force, and I forced the wrong card without realizing it. I had tried to read her mind, and it, of course, was wrong. Then, I realized that in my book Practical Mental Magic by Theodore Anneman, there is a trick in there that your assistant reads the specators mind. I remembered that so I said, " Well its a good thing because I'm not the one to read minds. My assistant is the one that does that kind of stuff." So had the volunteer show me the card, and I had my assistant read her mind. It takes about 20-30 mins of working together with your assistant to be able to learn this effect, but it takes about 1-2 days of practicing it to seem nature. But the time will mean nothing once you get your applause from the audience. The effect is called the "The Card Code". I would look it up, just in case you run into another problem like this. Good Luck with this effect. It is a great idea you have. Update me about your improvals.
"Just Enjoy The Art You Are Witnessing; Don't Destroy It."
-Steveo
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Why not just use 52 llamas and a llama index system? While that's the most practical advice I can give you, an alternative is to have the spectator stab the "wrong" card into the deck directly above the correct force card via an underspread cull.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Llama index system? LMAO!
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
My favorite out for this situation is to use the one-way like CK suggested and while they are all amazed by the spectators ability to pick the only King you top change the llama with the one that knows how to shave letters(lets call him stan) Stan then quietly STANdS there whisteling a monkeys tune, because he hates the rat pack, and when the audience calms down a bit you nail 'em with the change.

Or perform an erdnase bottom palm on your assistant, they love that, and they will forget the whole thing ever happened.

That is wat I would do.

Thank you good night. I am here all week, try the llama, oops, I mean viel.

Signed,

Run on scentence.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1621 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Man, this sounds totally awesome! The other guys in my class would be like totally blown away...

Can I get from Hank Lee's?

L8r
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I suppose I could cut you a deal on a sinatra singing, shaving, spitting, numerical llama but remeber a llama is fro life, not just for one little simple trick

Tom
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of jezza
Use a one way force deck (why make life difficult)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Classic Force Gone Wrong...Outs (Please Note; Very, Very Surreal. Imagination Necessary) (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL