The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
I know this will sound like a newbie question, but I've never performed rope magic ever, so here it goes.

Where can I get a lot of rope, for really cheap?

I'm low on money, and need to know how much the rope will cost in advance seeing as I plan on getting other things before this. This is the second thing on my list, though.

Also, can it be performed surrounded?

Adam
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Adam:

1. Don't get cheap rope! Get Elite Stage rope from Camirand Academy. It's white, thick and very soft.

You don't actually cut or use the rope in Fiber Optics, so you don't have to worry about getting a lot of rope. You can get about 3-4 Fiber Optic "sets" from one package of the elite stage rope.

It's about 20 dollars for 33 feet.

2: While for some moves you are a tad vulnerable directly behind your hands, I've performed this many times surrounded. Nearly all the secret parts are contained inside your closed hand, so there is nothing to see.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I'm ordering this DVD from Hocus Pocus and want to know what rope to get. They have two Elite ropes. One is 7mm thick, the other is 10mm thick.

What is the best size to use on this routine? I'm leaning toward the 7mm.

Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I like the "Stage" size, not the parlour. In other words I like the 10mm rope.

Both will probably work, but I just like the feel of the 10mm rope.

Since you don't use it up very fast or waste any with each performance, it should last you a while.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Apparently Denny & Lee sell rope made by Fun Inc. that is very similar to the Camirand Elite stage rope but much cheaper.

Has anyone tried it?
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I have two questions; one, arn't there a lot of videos on the market that teach 3 rope routines that then two come together to make on long one, yada yada, and end where the routine started? And two, what is the difference between Elite Stage rope from Camirand Academy, and any standard magicians rope you can buy for $10, for 50 feet at any site.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Perhaps but there are also a lot of card DVD's and Cups and Balls DVD's ect ect.

Classics are classics for a reason.

In this case, starting and ending at the same point makes for a good routine with a logical ending, and having the 3 stretch and change and whatnot are some great pieces of magic!

It should be noted that Fiber Optics also comes with a complete One Rope routine where you hand out a rope, and then proceed to do many of the moves from the 3 rope routine, and then you end clean with an examinable rope again.... It's very good and taught very well.

I can't vouch for other rope because I have only ever bought Elite Stage Rope, because I do a no-cut routine, 2 bags has kept me going for a long long time.

It's really white, very very soft, nice and thing to handle and just the right thickness, softness, visibility and grippability to use for rope magic.

It feels like the rolls royce of rope... I don't know the quality of other types of bulk rope from random magic dealers, because I am so impressed with the quality of the elite rope, and happy with the price, I don't see a need to waste any money on any other rope!
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
Well, I bought the Tabary 2 DVD Set and Fiber Optics, and I must say, Fiber Optics is much easier. It's very fun to perform, and even pretty fun to practice. As stated before, it's a no cut routine, and it really shocks people. I went with the 50 Foot Magicians Rope for 11.99 at Elmwood. It's pretty good, but I plan on buying the elite stage rope after.

Anyways, good luck with your rope routines!

Adam
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
This is one of the best DVD's I've purchased in a long while. It's was a breath of fresh air. I LOVED IT!!! Highly recommended!

Also, in response to the earlier point about the routine not including any spectators: For me, that was one of the selling points. Most of my routines already include spectators. It's nice to have a great routine like this to break it up a bit.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I just received this DVD yesterday and will echo everyone else that highly recommends this.
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
I didn't like the lack of patter that was given to aid the trick, but I do think richard sanders is a great teacher. I loved the dvd, one of the best resources I have
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I just watched it! It's the first rope magic dvd I ever saw and my first peek into rope magic. I love it. Not that difficult to master. I immediately cut some ropes out of our tent rope and they work fine..LOL. I'm starting to master it.

To those who are having second doubts, don't. Get it! Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Wait till you see the audience reactions!

I just used it at a paid gig, the reactions were: How did that happen?, very big eyes with jaws dropping and a thunderous applause at the end. I really don't know why.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hello Everyone,
I would like to ask the people who already worked with Fiber Optics a question. Will the necessary ropes fit in a vanishing cane? I hate picking rope up when I can produce it through magical means

Thanks
Ray
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
You can do the routine with any type of rope you want, I've even done it in a pinch with thick twine...

I use 10mm rope, but Elite has some nice parlour rope at 7mm, if that is too big then just use smaller rope Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Daegs,

So I guess the answer is yes?

I do not have Fiber Optics so I do not know the required length or pieces needed. I know that you can stuff a rope into a cane. But you can only fit some much.

Anyway thanks for informing me that rope comes in different sizes.

Ray
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
Great DVD from Richard Sanders. Fiber Optics warp the rope routine to the next level. It gives me the impression of a juggling magic routine with ropes...in the most visual way.

Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Well yes..

There is the one rope routine and the 3 rope routine included on the DVD.

The 3 rope routine uses a standard proffesors nightmare set, which is "Short/2 + Long/2 = Medium" or "Short+Long = 2*Medium".

The proportions are what matters, so anything from 6 inches to 6 feet will work.

The one rope routine uses a single length rope along with an additional piece that you keep in a pocket or somewhere hidden...

In either routine, you can either use any size rope you want, in any length you want(as long as proportions are lined up).
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Daegs,

Thanks for the infomation. Looks like this may be something that I need to check out!

Ray
gumbimagic
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
Magical Dimensions.... The rope lengths recommended by Mr. Sanders are 47",26", 9". It can be done however with any different lengths of rope he does explain how to make the set up on the DVD but it can be customized to your needs. If you use the Elite rope from Camirand I doubt it would fit in most canes....all three peices. However with different widths of rope I'm sure it would work. The DVD is great! Very visual!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL