The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Help meeee (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hello, No matter what I do my silks always get crumpled I put them in a hank ball and they come out looking really nasty not the kind of thing you want to parade around with on stage, another thing is I have a 25 foot streamer and it wont Dragon pleat! I start it but it all comes undone can any give me some help?

Best,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Most silken materials wrinkle when they are crumpled. When storing silks, roll them around a poster tube. Don't iron them.
If the accordion fold is too narrow widen it a bit, thus cutting the height down.
POOF!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I used to wash and iron my silks a lot, many years ago. I then learned from a seasoned pro that the silks will look much better if you never do that. Over time the more crumpled they get the better they look. I only roll my streamers around a poster tube, all other silks are lightly folded and stored in heavy duty zip lock bags labled with the effect in which they are used. They always look great (there are so many wrinkles now, they look pretty unwrinkled).

This is also gives you a good reason to practice. The more practice, the better your silks look.

And by the way, don't forget your hand moisturizer and keeping your nails trimmed and smooth.
Midwestmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bartlett Tn
110 Posts

Profile of Midwestmagic
Steaming works really well on silks and takes up very little time !
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3373 Posts

Profile of Julie
I think a certain consideration should be given to the load container and how the silks are loaded.
In some production gimmicks you do not necessarily need to "wad" the silks, but take an extra moment or two and place them in carefully.
An extreme example of this is Abbott's "Classic Production". The separate silk load chamber is large and flat and I was able to load 36" art silks in their regular flat folded condition. Now Merv Taylor's Tambourine was a different story altogether! Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5718 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just leave the wrinkles in. Over time, there are so many wrinkles that it has a billowy look rather than a wrinkled look. But, don't store the silks for more than an hour in a hank ball or else the wrinkles can become crisp and really look bad. I store the silks in a container that won't be flattened that has plenty of room for the silks to breathe. Small plastic food containers work well for storage, as long as they have some holes to let air in.

As for pleating a streamer, I don't do it neatly. I just pleat it in my hands - not much neater than wadding it up.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
But how can one clean his/her silks? Especially if they become dirty/soiled.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don,

Use Woolite and follow the instructions. Don't mix light and dark colors! You will get some new colors that way.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
LOL Bob Maybe I Should Mix them. and sell them as custom Made.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Ta get the wrinkles out of my silks I just get them wet w/cold water and hang them on a string, they dry within minutes and there is no trace of wrinkles...simple.

Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1140 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I use a small "Travel steamer". It works really well!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-10-05 14:34, johnnymystic wrote:
To get the wrinkles out of my silks I just get them wet w/cold water and hang them on a string, they dry within minutes and there is no trace of wrinkles...simple.
Johnny

Johnny you can also spread them on your bath room mirror. Smile
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Yeah, but then I can't see my pretty face..hehe.
Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
MrMagic1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MrMagic1
I use the accordian fold and it keeps my silks looking fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Help meeee (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL