The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingOfSpades
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of KingOfSpades
I was reading over Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, and some of the tricks in there are actually pretty good....so good in fact that I think it's actually possible to put together a great restaurant routine from just the things found in this book. Does anyone else agree? Or do you think that simple magic like this doesn't belong in a restaurnt act?
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
I completely agree that the content and quality of teaching in this book are excellent.

What's wrong with 'simple' magic? I think that some of the most powerful effects are ones that the spectator can easily understand what's happening but can't figure HOW it happened.

Bill Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The very essence of a restaurant/bar/table-hopping act should be "simple" magic.
This is no place for complicated routines and those sleights you've been practicing for six months.
This is the place for straight, direct, and 100 per cent guaranteed workable magic.
Remember, depending on the circumstances, you may have to stop your act at any second, so be prepared.
And the best way to "be prepared" is with so-called "simple" magic.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The Mark Wilson Course is one of my all-time favorites, and primarily responsible for getting me into close up magic. Great material, and many pros overlook it. Great "bang for your buck!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Simple magic is a beautiful thing. I always test my quick, direct tricks on my three year old son: if he loses attention, then I don't do it. Peter's response got me wondering. What would people say is the bible (video or book-wise) for restaurant magicians?
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
Simple magic is a beautiful thing. I always test my quick, direct tricks on my three year old son:

Might be good testing them on an adult too Smile

The Mark Wilson Course was great, with superb illustrations. A pity it has now been broken up into various smaller books.

There were good restaurant magic books by Jim Klaydor,Kirk Charles, Jim Pace, Paul Hallas, John Hotowka, Bruce Posgate,Barry Govan and others. Jim's was probably the best produced! I wouldn't say any one of them was the "Bible" of restaurant magic and you wouldn't need them all, but I would suggest a combination of say, any two.

Paul.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Several years ago, on my travels, I discovered this simple book in a London book store. I had always liked the idea of magic, but never had liked the little childrens courses that I had seen. I wasn´t able to buy the book then, and upon returning to my native california, I could not find it. Eight months later, I found the book, and launched a semi profesional magic career that has proved the single most useful social skill I have for making freinds all over the world.

Great Book.
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Paul and all,

From Me
>Simple magic is a beautiful thing. I always test my quick, direct tricks on my three year old son:

From Paul

>Might be good testing them on an adult too Smile

ROFL. Very true and I do test them (the simple tricks and the mediums; I'm not up to the hards yet) on other people (if the wife sees another trick I think she'll kill me though). I've been waiting for the "why don't you do this for a living" and the "where on earth did that go" comments - which I'm finally getting, so maybe it's time to do more than the occasional gig (I must admit I won't throw in the dayjob yet though).

Paul also writes
>There were good restaurant magic books by Jim Klaydor,Kirk Charles, Jim Pace, Paul Hallas, John Hotowka, Bruce Posgate,Barry Govan and others. Jim's was probably the best produced! [snip] I would suggest a combination of say, any two.

That sounds pretty good. I'm moving to a slightly bigger city and I thought I'd try some restaurant work.

Mithrandir and others also say that Wilson's book excellent and I'd definitely agree with that. It's a great cross-section.

Thanks for the advice.

[quote]On 2002-08-21 23:20, MagiclDave wrote:
I completely agree with you but I would definitly recomend checking other books too for other things to add to your routine.

I agree with you too, Dave. At the moment, I'm checking out Carl Andrew's video, just see him working in the environment and also to see what works best. I must admit there's been some excellent advice on restaurant routines on this list.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
cheeto4567
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of cheeto4567
I agree that many of the tricks in Mark Wilson's books are great and can be done in a restaurant. Magicians often confuse strong magic with what seems obvious to them. When I just started doing magic, I remember skipping over tricks such as the salt shaker though the table and the French Drop because I thought the salt shaker through the table or even the French Drop, they would obviously (can you tell I don't know how to spell this word) know how it was done. It really is amazing to me that some of the best tricks are in the beginners magic books and you never even notice them. Smile
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
439 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
That is a good point cheeto4567. I also thought everyone and their dog knew about Salt Shaker through table so I would never do it the 3 years I have been working the restaurant. I starting doing it about 3 weeks ago and it blows poeple away.This proves not everyone used to go to the library at the young age of 6 and check out every magic book in there. Twice.
So give those tricks that use to amaze you as a kid a try. You will be surpised you don't have to be the best magician in the world,have the best pass or own a 85 dollar trick coin to amaze someone.
Shawn
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Wow, I was just looking at this book. I go back to the "Course" on occasion. I bought this book for $7.95 on sale, and it is worth every penny!

Want a fantastic effect from the book?
Look at "Inflation"-Peter Pit on page
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
sleightly_impressive
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of sleightly_impressive
As many people have already said, simple magic can be very effective. In a restaurant, I like to use the things on the table to entertain the spectators. Using things off the table like the salt shaker, the ash tray,or or the customers fork really can be quite impressive particularly if the customer has been at the table for a while when you show up because they know you couldn't have done anything to their napkin or what ever because they have been using them!

SI Smile
q
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of q
As my main man Peter said,

Simple magic rocks the house.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Magic effects that are simple to follow and to the point is what close up magic is all about. If you could do real magic it would be to the point and with no complicated moves. It would be smooth and flawless.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is just that. Simple and direct effects. I bought it years ago just because it was written by Mr. Wilson. I thought that it would be just a kids book. Was I mistaken! I still find myself going to it and finding items that as Mr. Q said, "Rocks the house"

Ray Noble
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
130 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
Simple magic is not "easy" magic; simple magic can be difficult to achieve, sometimes... In my opinion, an effect is simple and straightforward only if you can describe it in a sentence or two. That's simple magic: simple to follow for the audience, not-always-easy for you to do.
Regards.
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
I can't remember the quote exactly, but I believe that Vernon said that if the spectator could not describe exactly what happened in three sentences, it was not a good trick. I think that statement should be the way we judge all tricks. There are so many tricks that violate that statement. If at the end of the trick, they have lost attention or don't even care if the trick works or forget what the premise of the trick is, then there was no reason to do that trick in the first place.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Simple magic?!? Who said any magic is simple?

I had the oppertunity to work with a full-time pro in Salt Lake City recently (the name shall be left out intentionally) and he worked a crowd with a Svengalli deck.. talk about simple! You can't get any more direct than that..

There is nothing wrong with simple.. in fact simple work well for me.. for instance here's link to a poem that I have had great responces with and the slight is simple..

http://www.online-visions.com/effects/0208how.html

Peter was kind enough to put this in his Linking Ring Column Nov 2000.. and I believe y'all will like it..!
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I'll second that, Cardslinger.
(Well, that would figure, since I ran it in my Linking Ring column in the first place!)
Learn the poem, carry the tiny, simple prop, and you've got a sure-fire routine that will play anywhere.
This is a good example of what is being discussed here:
It is a simple routine, plot, and props.
And yet is will take considerable work to polish one's individual handling; presentation, especially here, is almost everything!
Thanks to Diamond Jim for jogging our collective memories (and for the wonderful routine).
Smile
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Peter.. your too much! Thanks again for your great compliments!
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL