We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Remember that Renaissance Faire guy that fell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dorian
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Dorian
They did a benefit show to lovingly mock Brian and raise a little money for him. It also marked the first (and probably last) time I have ever done a strait jacket (Posey w/front and side arm loops) escape for more than three people who weren't family. If anyone is curious you can see the video here, http://www.philipearl.com/sjescape.wmv

The man doing the banana eating contest is Brian's sometimes comedy partner, and the kid is Brian's assistant. Also, the guy who put me in the jacket did the crotch buckle wrong. I'm not sure exactly, but I don't think he put the strap through the teeth because it loosened up as soon as I got it out of the catch so I couldn't reach it with my toes anymore. If he did put it through the teeth, I'd be amazed because I have never had it just fall so easily out of the teeth before. Of course, I didn't know he did this only having my feet to feel around with, or else I would have actually been able to get out faster than normal. It ended up taking over twice as long as my best time. He didn't make my arms as tight as they could have been though, so that actually helped with time. He even said that whatever he did to the buckle he did on purpose because he's done it before on a friend. Actually, if it was all done right it wouldn't have been as funny, so I can live with people laughing at me.

It's pretty great that the first time I've ever done a public escape I broke two of the biggest rules: Always stay in control (I couldn't really comment on how the jacket was put on because Phil was running the show), and don't get someone to put you in it whose done it before.

BTW, has anyone ever seen a strait jacket escape from the Posey with arm loops done this way using feet to undo the buckle?

Dorian
P.S. Most people don't realize that the real stunt was that I managed to not **** myself with stage fright while doing it.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Good work! I can't believe you struggled with it for that long. Great showing of perseverence! And the crowd went wild!

Excellent work, Dorian!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Good on ya, just goes to prove>>> He who laugh`s last laugh`s longest. Well done.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Great job...and sounds like it was for a great cause. You know, it's amazing at what we do for friends. Don't worry about the stage fright. The fact that I get onstage and do what I do is a testament that stage fright does eventually go away. I don't need a wastebasket backstage anymore.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Dorian,

Just checked out the SJ escape. I love your method. And it seems the crowd did too!

Looks like you guys had a great time doing the show. And what better a cause to premiere your escape. I hope you keep it up.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Wow, Dorian! I just watched the video. The trick w/ the feet is ultra-impressive. How do you keep your feet from cramping to the point of wicked pain and futility? Also, it looked like your ponytail came undone w/ the removal of the jacket. Intentional or not, icing on the cake! Great job!
Dorian
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Dorian
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 16:24, handsfree wrote:
How do you keep your feet from cramping to the point of wicked pain and futility? Also, it looked like your ponytail came undone w/ the removal of the jacket.

I just practiced enough until they don't cramp anymore. Also, when I'm barefoot, I always sit with my toes under my foot for some reason, so I'm pretty used to that position. My pony tail didn't come undone, the jacket just messes my hair up so much that I pulled the hair tie out right after.

I just discovered a similar yet different way of escaping the same type of jacket. I can now also undo the arm buckle with my foot, which is great because I can use that method with even a really small jacket.

Dorian
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Quote:
"...I just discovered a similar yet different way of escaping the same type of jacket. I can now also undo the arm buckle with my foot, which is great because I can use that method with even a really small jacket."

Dorian

I'd love to see it, although it would be hard to beat your feet working underneath your body and undoing the crotch strap. I'm still blown away by that.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Wow - good stuff, Dorian... I'm sharing the stage with Moonie / Phil this weekend... maybe I'll mention that I saw this to him Smile

Matthew/Tobias!
Hey, *I* can't do that!
Can't eat a banana real fast, either...
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Dorian
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Dorian
How cool! Are you Brian's replacement then? Brian was supposed to be at that stage with Phil (At least I think they were going to be sharing a stage, anyway). Go ahead and tell him if you want to. Let me know what he says.

Dorian
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I'm not so much a replacement as 'another guy on the stage'. Ain't no one can replace Broon. It's me, MooNiE and Sean Laughlin (One Rude Fool) on the Fool's Stage (aptly titled) at the NCRF (http://www.norcalrenfaire.com) ... I'm the non-juggling act required by law in any situation where there are two or more juggling acts scheduled on the stage Smile
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Dorian
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Dorian
How did they fit 3 acts on the same stage? I know Phil likes to do 5 shows and, unless forced to run shorter, he usually does 45 min. That must be very tight scheduling.

Dorian
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
"I'm the non-juggling act required by law in any situation where there are two or more juggling acts scheduled on the stage"

Are you being serious? Or have I totally missed the joke?

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Dorian
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Dorian
He's just joking.

Dorian
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Yeah, I'm joking. BUT... it always got a laugh out of the audience. And that's really what counts.

Right?

Scheduling is fairly tight, but myself and Sean Laughlin (One Rude Fool) both have 30 minute sets... we're in heavy rotation, and it's very possible Phil's being moved to a bigger stage since he red-zones the current one easily...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Remember that Renaissance Faire guy that fell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL