The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound Systems » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Diamond
View Profile
New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
24 Posts

Profile of Billy Diamond
I have always been concerned with the lack of good sound magicians seem to use (or in this case do not use).

I want to recommend a power amp over a power mixer. The quality with a power amp over a mixer is superior. Also....if you have a first class show you should surely have first class sound.

I am basically, just fueling this area of the board and would like to converse. While I am no expert in the area of sound I have several years of experience on what works and what does not and have also worked professionally with a sound crew, aside from performing.

Billy Diamond

Extreme Reality Illusions

Creators and Builders of magic and illusion
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Good point Billy, I couldn't agree more! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
After EXTENSIVE research, in my opinion the single best all-around sound system for the one man show is the Fender Passport. 500 watts, four channels, a couple of mikes, and the speakers attach to the tower to make a one piece unit complete with a carrying handle. Perfect for audiences of 50-2500. If you know how to dicker, you can get the system, complete with speaker stands and their carrying bag and a quality wireless headset mike for around $1000. Do a big show or two, and it's paid for itself.

I know i'm starting to sound like a broken record, but one of my Pro-Files columns on the Visions website addresses this very topic: "Setting the Stage" discusses PA, lights tables and backdrops. Check it out.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Wow, sounds like you guys both have quite a bit of experience with sound systems.

I have worked with cordless mikes, they certainly are a nice piece of equipment for the working performer. Smile
Billy Diamond
View Profile
New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
24 Posts

Profile of Billy Diamond
GreatScott,

The Fender Passport is definitely better than the junk I have seen guys using, but it just still doesn't have the clarity of a full blown system (my opinion). I do recommend it though for being easily compactable for travel. A very good investment. The 2500 seat venue...well I think that is stretching the truth a bit. Again, it goes back to punch and clarity. I guess I am just one for wanting people to not only see my show, but FEEL it too.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I didn't say it is the best quality system out there. I DO think it is the best, for the money, for a single performer with no assistants or "roadies." And I have used it for 2500 people. I wouldn't use it in an outdoor venue or a gym, but in a large banquet hall or auditorium with good acoustics, it works wonderfully. I'm not "stretching the truth," and don't care for that insinuation.

It isn't the BEST system for audiences of that size, particularly if you're using a lot of music and effects, but I do a straight comedy magic "talking" show, and it has fit the bill very well indeed, much better than many systems that cost more, and certainly better than the battery operated, 15 watt garbage that you see in the magic magazine ads.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Well fellas,

I think, in the end, it's really a matter of personal taste and preference. I appreciate all the input, thanks for contributing!

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound Systems » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL