The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit Cabinet Source (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I would love to see a spirit_Cabinet performance. Does anyone here know where I might get my hands on a video or Book/information on this.

The only source I have seen it in, in my colection of books is in the Tarbell book.
Any info would be appreciated.

For some reason I've recently become very interested in this type of performance.

Thank you.

E-Leoni.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Not quite a spirit cabinet, but Penn and Teller do a really cool spirit routine with a cabinet like contraption made of sheets (to allow you to see shadows and "ghosts").
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I've seen Penn & Teller's performance a year ago here in Raleigh. I don't think they have a book or video out showing there version of it though, ...do they ?

E-Leoni.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Tarbell has some info. There is a manuscript and video available detailing John Calvert's spirit cabinet (which uses a method out of Tarbell). Bob Blau's spirit cabinet was featured in a book about his magic. It's probably an out of print book, so you'll have to search a little to find it. Blau's method is excellent. Also, Abbott's have several pamphlets about spirit cabinet routines. One of these is Augustus Rapp's Spirit Cabinet, which is an intriguing method.

These are some places to start.

--Christopher Carter
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Here's a URL you might find interesting: a downloadable Windows Media Player movie clip of Jahn & Gun Gallo's Spirit Cabinet presentation.
http://www.lurup.com/~persson/beware.html

Falkenstein & Willard do a spirit cabinet routine, too (as advertised on their site, http://www.falkenstein-willard.com ); unfortunately, it isn't on their recent three-video set.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thank you christopher, I will search for those.

Necromancer, thank you for the link . I looked at it. Nice to see a variation, from
Falkensteins's tapes. I like the way Frances and Glen do it, though (the rope tie).

I wrote to Frances & Glen yesterday asking them if by chance they might have their Cabinet act on video.

E-Leoni.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Their Cabinet Act IS on video, from Stevens Magic. It is on their first video that Stevens did with them. Call them and I am sure they will fix you up with it. (It is a performance only video)
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Although the Willard Spirit Cabinet routine is on video, it is important to recall that it is not available as a performance piece. The effect is brutally deceptive in their hands, but even if you do ferret out the method, you don't get to do it. E-leoni, I'm not suggesting that you would do this, but I'm tossing it out in case some might consider that just because a performance is on video it's ok to copy.

--Christopher Carter
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Tarbell is a great resource for this effect. Having watched Andre Kole perform the Spirit Cabinet, I share your excitement. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Thank you Christopher.
If you are going to toss out a suggestion it would be nice if you don't attach someones name with it, like you did with mine.

I'm well aware of ethics, don't assume any less of someone elses with out knowing them first. It's very rude.

YOu know how difficult this media is in understanding someones inttentions through the written word, don't make it any harder by ussing language such as "E-Leoni, I'm not suggesting that you would (steal) do this, but..."

With that said, I'm a solo performer. I'm only interested in watching good performances. Like I said earlier, I've seen Penn & Teller perform it, and I enjoyed it very much. THey even exposed most if not all of the workings. I'm not going to run out now and build one myself.

Thank you for your concern though.

E-Leoni.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Chris is correct on the Willard Cabinet issue... (unfortunately... it's possibly the BEST SC on the business.)

If you are looking for a novel "SC" type routine for your own act, PM me... I have two pieces that are available... one that's easily put together at home and a serious "Production" bit that's a show in and of itself (deal with Marilynn Monroe, etc.)

For the right price I'd consider sharing my "Vortex Cabinet" technology as well.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

e-leoni,

My deepest apologies. Due to the way we were quickly tossing about sources for spirit cabinet information, I thought it possible that some might misconstrue the purpose of the Willard Cabinet video. The reason I attached your name was so that you would know explicitly that I wasn't refering to you. I was assuming that had I not clarified that, it might seem that I was implying something negative about your character. Indeed I do know the problems inherent with this medium. Please accept that my error occurred in the process of trying to circumvent those problems.

Mea Culpa,

Christopher Carter
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Ignosco.

E-Leoni.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-08-16 13:03, christopher carter wrote:
e-leoni,

My deepest apologies. Due to the way we were quickly tossing about sources for spirit cabinet information, I thought it possible that some might misconstrue the purpose of the Willard Cabinet video. The reason I attached your name was so that you would know explicitly that I wasn't refering to you. I was assuming that had I not clarified that, it might seem that I was implying something negative about your character. Indeed I do know the problems inherent with this medium. Please accept that my error occurred in the process of trying to circumvent those problems.

Mea Culpa,

Christopher Carter

Chris... you have me a bit concerned here, via the line "Indeed I do know the problems inherent with this medium. <

Is there something wrong with Francis? Smile

I'm sorry, I saw the opening and had to take it Smile

Kirkham actually owned the original Willard Cabinet (at least, that's what he claimed... Francis wasn't certain about that). It did have one bit that I've not seen ANYONE do, that sounds rather cool "The Showing of The Spirits" e.g. a flash within the "empty" cabinet in which several different faces, body parts, etc. are seen appearing & vanishing all over the interrior to the cabinet.

Even knowing what I know about that unit, I still have to say it's the very best and most "impossible" SC routine ever devised (gloatingly I claim my Vortex Cabinet as being Second Best Smile )
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Hey Craig,

Have you seen Penn & Teller do the SC ?
They did a bit like that with shadowy figures appearing ,...I think I saw them do it...now I'm not sure.

E-LEoni.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Another excellent spirit cabinet is done by Andy Dallas, magic shop owner from Champain, Illinois. His tie really fools me.

--Christopher Carter
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
My favorite is "Carlysle", the magic castles first medium. His routine is classic.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
You might check out the book "Willard The Wizard" by Bev Bergeron,

I'm sure I saw John Calvert's Spirit Cabinet routine advertised recently in MAGIC.

Fogel's Spirit Cabinet routine, "The Gambling Ghost" is still available, I believe from Magic Books by Post in England.
Go to a search engine and type in their name for their website.

Smile
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
I just recently gave my rapps cabinet act to a friend who along with his wife are planning on presenting this in their show. I have had mine for almost 17 years and it has been packed in a closet. The only reason I gave it away to this couple was when they had mentioned that they were looking for a spirit cabinet act that they could master in about two years time. I knew right then and there, that here was a couple who knew that it takes a LOT of hard work and practice to make it fly and second that it would have a good home. You can get the complete manuscript with plans from Abbotts magic co. in Colon, Mi. For about $10. Add a weekend of work, about $100 in materials to do it up real nice, and then an investment of a good two years of solid practice and timing, and you will have a masterpiece. Hope this helps
Marty
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Read old books on magic and spiritism.

I would recommend that you by the books already mentioned al the manuscripts on the cabinet, Tarbell 6 and Tarbell 8, The Magic Circle (Levante's routine) the routines in Encyclopedia of rope magic vol 3.

John Calvert has a fast and good routine, Willard’s is good and traditional.

R. Houdin described the complete Davenport routine in his book on stage magic. It is a great routine.

Fu Manchu had a cabinet séance based on black magic.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit Cabinet Source (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL