The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Gaetan Bloom's "Escalator" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
DanielTyler
View Profile
New user
New York
95 Posts

Profile of DanielTyler
If this has been asked before, I apologize in advance but.... about how far does the card go into the deck before it rises. Half-way? A quarter? Less?
- Daniel Tyler

www.tylermagic.com
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
If you mean how far do you insert the card, it can be any amount. You can leave the card protruding 1/4 its length, 1/2, 3/4 whatever you want. If you're asking how far down the deck do you insert it before it rises, it can go way down near the bottom, all the way up to the top.
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
229 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
At the Convention at the Capital in 1999, I showed 'Raise Rise' to Gaeton Bloom in the lobby one night. A month or so later, I was in Paris for a lecture and Gaeton treated my wife and I to his Crazy Horse show, as well as dinner afterwards. At dinner, I asked him if he had anything new, and he replied that he'd been thinking about what I showed him in California, and was working on his own version. He then performed a prototype of 'Escalator' for us. What a great moment! Gaeton is truly one of the cleverest and kindest magicians I've ever met. I think it's interesting to see how long this idea 'marinated' inside his head, before he released the final product. He's one of the few guys I would order something from, without even knowing what the effect was. Keep creating Gaeton!

Chad
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
It is a great effect however I don't like carrying extra decks for a few tricks. A part comes out on mine ever so often that I have to put back together.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here we are 17 months later. How does everyone feel it about it now? I know 2 perople that bought itnd sold it as they thought ti was too much money for what it did.

I got to play with one and it's darn clever. It'll fool you whenou see it. Yet, I didn't buy one.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Magic Chris,

you're right on! In almost a year there have been only 2 posts on an effect that had pages of "hype."
What happened to all those who couldn't wait for the release? Surely, some of you must be using this!
Please share your comments and reactions.

Jim
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I have used it consistently since getting it and working out my own handling and it plays. Like so many other tricks, everyone is all up and hyped when it comes out and months later it's old news. What magicians don't realize is that a good trick is a good trick whether it's one week old or ten years old. Can we say Cups and Balls? If people can get past the "magician thinking," this is a very strong close-up illusion and a baffler for laymen and magician's who don't know the work.

Somebody elsewhere mentioned not liking having to carry an extra deck? I'm sure he meant something else, because the deck is not gimmicked in any way and I use it throughout my routine.

The only minor (and it is minor,) downside is that, being made of cardboard, you will find the occasional need to "re-build" or reinforce various parts of it, but it's easy to do and probably only frequent to me because of the amount of shows I use it in.

Many months later, I still think it's a great item.
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
I agree with runawayjag, it is a great visual illusion that people remember long after the show. I've used it in several shows with great success.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Well, runawayjag ( and Larry Davidson ) are workers and they use this, so that speaks volumes.

multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
I'm afraid that after the initial excitement, mine has been consigned to the Black Hole drawer. It's a decent fooler if the specs are a reasonable distance away, or the lighting is suitably dim, but otherwise I agree with the poster above that it is 'another deck' to carry about and introduce.
Certainly, when plays there is nothing else like it for the effect but now that the novelty has worn off (for me) I no longer use it.

In fairness though, I can see why others would persevere. Personal choice, really.
Gary B
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-04-10 11:03, multiply wrote:
I'm afraid that after the initial excitement, mine has been consigned to the Black Hole drawer. It's a decent fooler if the specs are a reasonable distance away, or the lighting is suitably dim, but otherwise I agree with the poster above that it is 'another deck' to carry about and introduce.
Certainly, when plays there is nothing else like it for the effect but now that the novelty has worn off (for me) I no longer use it.

In fairness though, I can see why others would persevere. Personal choice, really.

The one I "played" with looked good with me holding it, so I think it can be used effectively close up.

runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I use it close-up at the table (standing, of course,) all the time and lighting has nothing to do with its effectiveness. If you "telegraph" nothing, an audience has no doubt it is the deck they are seeing in the pack. In fact, there is absolutely no suspicion otherwise. Anyway, I like it and use it.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
The gimmick is very deceptive, and I am sure it can be done in close up situation as well.
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
The best thing about Escalator is their version of monkey in the middle. The two jokers move down through the deck and back up and when removed the signed chosen card is between the two jokers.
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Magic is meant to be fun for you and the spectators, not a "which trick should I buy, this trick sucks", if you like it, and you think your audience will like it, then buy it.

By the way, they just saw you make their card rise in your hands like 5 times (ACR), by that time they are not watching in suspicion - they are watching in wonder.
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Or boredom... 5 phases is too many for me.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
One problem with magicians is their inability to think as lay people.

Whether performing magic or mentalism, I get more response to simple effects, even if they are 3, 4, or 5 phases, that can be built into miracles in the eyes of the spectator.

I have owned and performed the Escalator since it was released, and I actually got the first production unit. I do a conventional ambitious card routine with the deck from the Escalator and leave the box on the table. The theme I use is "The most Ambitious card!" I let the spectator tell me which card they think is the most ambitious. And each time the card comes back to the top, I make a big deal about how this time the Ambitious card is more Ambitious than the last because I put it further down in the deck, or whatever. Then after a couple times that way I explain if the card really Ambitious it would not hide as it rises to the top. as I am saying this, I case all of the cards except their card. And since this card is really the most Ambitious card and is really a show off, it will not only rises to the top of the deck as bfore, but it will go down into the deck, and then rise back to the top right before their eyes....

I get standing ovations from this presentation. And not surprisingly, I don't perform for magicians but for paying lay audiences.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
217 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
Hmmm Birthday is coming up. I may try to convince the wife to get this for me. I did enjoy the demo. The reviews seem to be good.

Mike
EndlessWonders
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of EndlessWonders
A good friend of mine has this effect, imo the gimmick is noticably larger than a pack of cards. but still a good illusion. Also a little pricy. May I suggest an alternative effect just as strong and done witha real pack of cards... just check out the video and use your own judgment...

http://www.ellusionist.com/product/dvd+t......arcia.do
Chris Hickmott

"Cross Into Another Dimension"
www.endlesswonderproductions.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Gaetan Bloom's "Escalator" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL