The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Who can earn money only with magic ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
I would like to know if there are some people in this forum who earns their life just with magic ? in my opinion the most of people on this forum have a job in the same time. And I think magic is a hobby very expensive ( especially with all the books I have to buy! ) so it's necessary to earn very well our life! for me, magic is a hobby and I don't want it becomes my job because I want it stays a pleasure! Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
There are many people on this board that are full-time pros. I am sure they will speak up.

And think about Magic as a Job...it would be a Job you truly enjoy and love.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
I often felt that one of the real reasons magic is shrouded in secrecy, is not because of the sleights and methods but because of how much money pro magicians can make.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I currently earn a full time living performing family and children's magic shows. I tend to refer away shows for adult-only groups, as well as close-up / strolling.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I have been a full time pro for 5 years and part time for 2 years before that. I do restaurant (6 restaurants a week,) corporate, and parties. Best move I ever made. BTW started when I was 54 yrs old am now 60 yrs old. This is my only income as I never was at a real job long enough to build up retirement benefits.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I am also a full time pro. Since going full time I have not found performing any less of a pleasure. In fact the opposite is true. I am able to invest a lot more time and resources into developing my act & performing has become more enjoyable. When I was a hobbyist I used to get stage fright & be nervous about performing, but now it is just fun. It is the paperwork side of things that is not always so pleasurable.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I am a full-time professional but agree that, for many, performing full time can take the enjoyment away from your love of magic. It takes a person who is really driven to do magic as a living to enjoy the hard work and ups and downs of full time performing.

I was a photographer in college and thought that it would be more logical to become a photographer than a magician (at least my dad thought so!) Anyway, I tried it for a while and found that it ruined photography for me.

If you love magic and you want to do it as living because you think it will always be fun and exciting, you'll be disappointed. On the other hand, if it's in your blood and you're willing to put up with the bad times as well as the good times, with lots of determination you can make it happen.

Personally, I think I'm very lucky. I get to make people happy for a living. What could be better than that?
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I too am a full timer and I have learned that this to is a job just like any other. You have to do loads of paperwork, self promoting, bookkeeping and other things just like any other business. If you lack in any of these areas your incomes suffers for it. Even though this is a business it is one I love and that makes the difference but it is a lot of work. I often work more hours at this business than when I had a 9-5 job.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I have been a full-time professional since 1979, although for the past ten years I have been combining magic with a message in motivational programs for the bulk of my business.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7413 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am also a full time pro. Mainly in the manufacturing but also some performing.

I had worked 9 to 5 jobs and do miss the security, retirement, health benefits but do not miss the chest pains and headaches it cause.

I understand what Mikey means about making something a living to ruin it for you. I was also a full time photographer.

I have always said there are not perfect jobs but there are a lot of perfect hobbies. The minute you make the hobby your job, it does become less than perfect.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
Im Also a full time pro. I feel real lucky that I have a wife that understands the up and down times of being a magician.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Magicmikey says "If you love magic and you want to do it as living because you think it will always be fun and exciting, you'll be disappointed." If that is your only motivating desire, I believe he is right.

To succeed at magic professionally, you also need a strong desire to be self-employed and run your own business. If you don't want to deal with those responsibilities, it is probably better to keep magic as a hobby.

Richard also makes a good point about "the minute you make the hobby your job, it does become less than perfect."

I've always believed that this can happen because we full time pros accept that sometimes we have to make decisions for a business reason rather than an artistic reason.

For example, I may want to perform a certain illusion for artistic reasons, but I realize from a business standpoint that it doesn't make sense to invest the time and money because it can only be performed under very limited performing conditions. It would make more business sense to work on something I can perform more freqently.

Finally, as Floridamagic points out, having an understanding spouse is very important. I am blessed with one also, and I could never weather the ups and downs without her unwavering support and belief in my ability.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Been a full-time professional entertainer for 3 years, part time for about 10, and before that amateur since first grade. Spend a lot of time on the business side of things, but my workday is usually over by noon, and it is much better than any of the 9-5 jobs I had. One of my first steps was to get health insurance, wasn't gonna play with that one. It takes a lot of work, but if you don't mind putting in a lot towards getting the life you want, it's a feasible choice.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm full time but also earn extra dollars organising other performers for gigs.

Once you understand the marketing you can help other performers get work and make extra money.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Performing is all I know how to do. I was fortunate enough to be raised by a stage mom. I grew up seeing artists do what they loved for a living.

There are amazing ups and downs in this business and to find a woman that will put up with it is a challenge in itself.

You also have no co-workers so a social life is tricky.

Money is hard to keep consistant. Sometimes checks take forever but they are in the mail.

It is a challenge and not for the meek. I don't point out the positives, not becuase I am that negative but if you are going to do it you'll go through with it anyway.

Oh, and I failed to mention burn out from living it 24/7.

Still, the worst day on stage has to be better than the best day in an office. I don't know but it is a guess.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
702 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I am a full time pro..in fact as my wife puts it, “he’s never had a real job.”
I have been a full time magician since 1983…oh, my god how old am I ?!

Still love it and can’t image what it would be like to have to go to an office every day…
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
322 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
I've been living out of magic since I was 20. I'm 26 now. i'vee been doing stage magic, mainly dove magic, close up now and then (not a lot of market for that here in Portugal), Hipnotism and mentalism.
Alex
Alex
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17658 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If the Village Idiots are Burned Out it's not from magic....It's Cruise Ship Cabin Fever!..... Although their current flight schedule seems pretty sweet. All in all... It's got to be better than an office gig.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2004-09-08 12:11, emeline wrote:
And I think magic is a hobby very expensive ( especially with all the books I have to buy! )

Why do you "HAVE TO" buy all those books. Just buy the right books and you will have a lifetime worth of magic in just a few volumes. Don't get me wrong. I myself have hundreds of books on magic. I collect. However noone ever said I HAD TO buy them.
Anyhow that just struck me as a funny comment. Good luck
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm a full time pro and have been for the last 3 years. I was a part time pro for 4 years before that. I had a slow month in April, got scared, and picked up a temp job. I HATED it! I lasted 9 days before I had to call the agency and tell them that I couldn't do it. Plus I had picked up the gigs I needed. I hope, pray, and beg, to never have to go back to an office again.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Who can earn money only with magic ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.7 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL