We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » From a naive spectator (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks Dan
I stand with you
Mario
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Gar. I and a lot of my friends felt that you guys were homeless.

Thank you for your unsolicited oppenion.The fact that I got paid when I was working did not not make me a bum,it made me a full time professional magican.
Actually you arn't the the first person person to call me a bum.When I suffered head injries twelve years ago the highly respected Memphis Poliece Department refues to take a report and later lied about it,becouse I was a street grifter and didn't belong there,althouh I was on private property with the owers concent,had a permmit and paid sales taxes.The pimps who broke up my joint and my head,putting me on perminant disability only paid the poliece.
If you really want to learn something mabe you shoul read"The Magic Life"by Ace Starry or Drawing A circle in the Square,or Hello Sucker,Or Street Magic.I'm a big fan of chidren reading before thay start to write.
The only people around here that a likely to to be homeless are the sometimes doers, if there moters ever decide to charge them rent.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Later this month, this Bum will be in NY and Annapolis (Working and holidaying) I hope the New Yorker and Holiday Inns in Manhattan have rooms booked for this bum !!
Just to think that performing is my ONLY income makes me feel real humble (Just like a bum I suppose).Maybe I am a humble bum!!
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I have just read your question, but I haven't bothered reading the replies because I am being lazy (thought I should be direct and honest). I guess that some of the replies would be along the lines of "Hey, it'r our art!" and I can understand that, but also it is nice to have a 'spectator' actually give feedback from the streets, as it is productive. Thanks for the input,

Chris
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yeah, I agree with Chris. It is good to hear feedback that could help us be better. I am going to work harder on making my collection of money be a fun aspect of the act. I've already been working on that and will continue it. That's what struck me about the last act I saw, which was in New York. The collection was a lot of fun.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 14:52, Kondini wrote:
Maybe I am a humble bum!!

Hmm... bumble...humbumble...there is a joke in there somewhere but this is no time for a scavenger hunt. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I haven't spent all that many hours busking, but they have been great. It has very much improved my other performances. It is much easier to play at being a mountebank if you have actually performed for the hat or talked people into a sideshow.

Here's the other side of it: now, I never pass a busker without tipping. Even just a guitar player doing a trickle, I'll cross the street to give him two bucks without even listening to a whole song if I am passing by. I once had the great experience of putting some of my hat money into someone else's hat. As they say, "From his mouth to God's ear..."

Yours,

Paul
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 14:52, Kondini wrote:
Later this month, this Bum will be in NY and Annapolis (Working and holidaying) I hope the New Yorker and Holiday Inns in Manhattan have rooms booked for this bum !!
Just to think that performing is my ONLY income makes me feel real humble (Just like a bum I suppose).Maybe I am a humble bum!!

...better than being a stumblebum!

:rotf:

Posted: Sep 11, 2004 11:27am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

On 2004-09-10 09:23, drwilson wrote:
I haven't spent all that many hours busking, but they have been great. It has very much improved my other performances. It is much easier to play at being a mountebank if you have actually performed for the hat or talked people into a sideshow.

Here's the other side of it: now, I never pass a busker without tipping. Even just a guitar player doing a trickle, I'll cross the street to give him two bucks without even listening to a whole song if I am passing by. I once had the great experience of putting some of my hat money into someone else's hat. As they say, "From his mouth to God's ear..."

Yours,

Paul

I usually put a dollar in the hat, but it's usually in change! I worry about the stuff blowing out while the guy's trying to perform. (And I don't give out 5s casually!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Don't worry about it blowing out, we'll catch it.

CHANGE SUCKS.

Other people see you putting in change, they put in change.

Some buskers refuse to take it.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:

I usually put a dollar in the hat, but it's usually in change! I worry about the stuff blowing out while the guy's trying to perform. (And I don't give out 5s casually!)

Are you saving up for a haircut or just tight fisted.
ITS A JOKE!!!!!!!!
Mario
I cant believe Gazzo said to me, the Americans have succeeded the British with humor.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
598 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 02:36, magicsoup wrote:
... After one of my shows a guy told me he liked that my pitch made it clear that I expect to get paid but at the same time was not a high preassure guilt trip.

This is my problem. I can work and build the crowd but pitching the hat. I'm clueless.

So QUESTION:
HOW can your pitch made it clear that you expect to get paid but at the same time not be a high pressure guilt trip?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Ron,

GREAT question. The easiest way to let them know with no pressure is to let them know jokingly a couple of times during the show that you are working for tips.

Example just before the revelation of the first trick say, "Now what I am about to show you is so amazing you may want to throw money at me. PLEASE DON'T DO IT NOW! Wait until the end of the show when I pass my hat because by then you might want to make it a five!

Then another one mid show that is just a quick call back to the first joke about the fives.

And then before your finale you should give a mini hat line, "Folks what you have seen up until now is free. But I am a professional entertainer and this is how I make my living. If you have a problem with this in anyway I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable when I pass the hat so now would be a good time to take off. If you are not morally offended and just broke don't feel bad, I am a street performer and I know your pain. Stick around anyway and at the end of the show just come up and shake my hand and give me a quick thank you. This show is my gift to you. If you do have few extra dollars I hope you think this show has provided you with valuable entertainment. You people are the best looking, smartest, and most pleasant, folks it has ever been my pleasure to work for. I have a warm and fuzzy feeling deep down in the sub cockles of my heart that you will probably turn out to be the most generous as well.

If you are still not feeling it after I perform this most amazing feat I will once again shower you with gratuitous amounts of complementary hyperbole before I pass the hat. Now folks get ready, because I am about to pull a rabbit out of my hat!"

Or something like that anyway....

Then after your finale you can give them a shorter more handsome hat pitch because at that point they really know what's coming, you gave the cheapskates a chance to skate with no strings, and you let the broke folks know that you are not just in it for the money. This also makes the folks who have a couple of bucks think you are a good and sincere person. At this point they will be breaking their arms to get the money out of their pockets and into your hat.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Wow Dan... do you accept paypal?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Ha! Thanks Jim. Almost all of that I learned from observing Gazzo and Cellini. Gazzo has some books out and Jim is tearing up the DVD market with the great Kozmo.

Give the money to them and you will get it all from my betters and my teachers!

But if you ever see my show, when the hat comes out, I hope you drop a five. Smile

Best,

Dan-

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Danny,

That's just pure gold, as always. If I ever do see your show, I have to think of all the great stuff you put in this forum when it's time for a folding ovation.

Yours,

Paul
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Hey Dan, That's actualy very similar to what I say. Also I use my cute 4 year old to hold the hat!

RonC, read DAns post carefully. It's very important to suggest an amount.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
"Thank you all for watching my show!! If you enjoyed it, please show your generosity! If you DIDN'T enjoy it.....be generous anyway! No point in BOTH of us leaving dissapointed!"

*Spectator drops a one or a five in the hat*-->"Sir, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!"

*Spectator drops a dime or smaller*-->"Sir, I thank you from the heart of my bottom!"
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
GREAT lines !
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-09-11 20:16, Zack wrote:
Don't worry about it blowing out, we'll catch it.

CHANGE SUCKS.

Other people see you putting in change, they put in change.

Some buskers refuse to take it.

I'm reminded of an old joke about a guy tipping a cab driver with a quarter.

DRIVER: A tip like that's an insult!
PASSEN: Oh? What should it be?
DRIVER: At least twice that!
PASSEN: My dear fellow, I wouldn't dream of insulting you twice!

Seriously, I give what I'm comfortable with. If you don't want it, fine. I won't give you anything!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 02:56, The Mighty Fool wrote:
"Thank you all for watching my show!! If you enjoyed it, please show your generosity! If you DIDN'T enjoy it.....be generous anyway! No point in BOTH of us leaving dissapointed!"

*Spectator drops a one or a five in the hat*-->"Sir, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!"

*Spectator drops a dime or smaller*-->"Sir, I thank you from the heart of my bottom!"

Personally I would never use that line. I thank everyone, even if they give me a button (it's happened). If someone gives me a dollar I says thanks, if they give a ten I announce it to the world as an eg. to follow!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » From a naive spectator (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL