The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 2 Sets of Double-Locked Cuffs Behind the Back... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
...looped together at the chains so that both bracelets of one set of cuffs is on one wrist and both bracelets of another set is on the other wrist. Also, keyholes facing inwards towards each other, palms facing away.

This is a configuration the wife - keeper of the keys and whose job it is to defeat my ingenuity, applied recently. I was unable to escape, but I get another try. Neither set is gimmicked. One pair is Peerless, the other Hiatts. Since they are double-locked, shimming is not an option. And, with the keyholes facing inward, there's very limited picking access; my picking tools won't fit into the allotted space.

Not looking for anyone to give up hard-earned secrets, but how about some ideas? Maybe a general direction?

Stumped
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hmm ... my first suggestion would be the use of an Articulating Extension tool. They work on the rigid cuffs, and I imagine that they'd be able to go between the cuffs for access to the keyholes.

The only supplier I know of is Cannons

Regards,

James.
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Ya' know, James, that tool could be the ticket. I have to figure out how long the combined key and arm are, though, so I can tell whether or not it'll fit between the cuffs. It's hard to tell by the pic on the Cannon site - may be a tight squeeze, but the concept seems right. I didn't know such a device existed. A regulation cuff key is too long to work when I'm cuffed in that position. Good idea! Much thanks, James.

Any other ideas, folks?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
If you prepare your own picks, Try making a variety of shapes. You did not say how much room you have between the two cuffs, but assuming your wife loves you, they are not circulation cutting tight. If she has room to maneuver the key, you should have room to maneuver the pick.

Practice when she is not around, and do it like this. Place one pair of handcuffs on one wrist and leave the other free. Now practice the picking. If you totally get stuck, go for the key, after all only one hand is cuffed and you can re-design your picks another time. Once you are successful in that manner, now do it again with your hands behind STILL ONLY ONE CUFF! When you have that down, now practice with the other style and other hand.

I am assuming you don't get to choose which cuff goes on which wrist, so get proficient both sides both ways.

You didn't say how or if you are going to perform this, and I have a few suggestions. Hopefully you know well, and if you don't learn it now, never put youself in a potentially dangerous situation alone. You may find a homemade pick works well and decide to go for both cuffs to surprise your wife with your speed and skill, DON'T do it. The number of things that could go wrong is a horribly long list.

Now if you are going to perfrom this, I suggest you don't. If you are going to an escape artist convention, this would be a fine challenge to show off, but in front of a lay-audience, handcuffs are handcuffs. for them to understand why this is so difficult, you would have to give them way too much information that other magicians probably prefer they don't have, like "Well any ordinary pick won't fit here"
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Good advice, Cliff. Thanks!

Regarding "room to maneuver" the key/pick, etc: There really is very little room for a stock cuff key to fit between the Peerless cuffs when the locks are facing inwards towards each other. When my wife removed the cuffs, she had to unlock the Hiatts side first as the keyholes, which are located more towards the area on the lock housing where the swing arm engages, are more accessible - as opposed to being dead center, and a real struggle, on the Peerless. It took both of her free hands and a lot of finagling in order to remove them from my wrist. She considered cutting the double-lock plunger off in order to get the key to fit between the bracelets.

Also, keep in mind that when both sets are on me, gravity pulls the higher bracelets flush down onto the lower bracelets, covering both sets of keyholes completely. With palms facing away and both chains looped together....you see the trouble of using any tool. I think my only shot is to pick the Hiatts 1st.

No, I don't get to choose which cuff goes on which wrist. In fact I'm not allowed to see or know anything - only what I can feel.

Yes, this is far too dangerous to try alone. Her supervision is essential on this one. At least, so far.

I like your idea of practicing and learning one wrist at a time.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Hands Free you are breaking one of the rules. and that rule is to remain in Control of the Situation at All Times. No IF's Ands or But's if shes having troubles with the double lock why not just put a piece of masking tape over the key hole/way this way they can be opened another way in case of a emergency. and do they have to be behind your back. Don,
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Handsfree.... One of the Most difficult feats that Anyone can Attempt especially a 'Pro' Escapist , Is to try to effect there release fron 2 pair of cuffs from behind ones back with key holes 'sandwiched 'in the middle...., Most Difficult, Painful & Dangerious , Lucky that you were doing it w/ your wife.

.I will be the first to tell you this as ....

Back in 98, I was challenged with 2 pair of Bean Giants locked on me, behind my back with the key holes facing each other.

Took me Over an hour to get out, BUT it can be DONE ! and I have to say that I really haven't heard of anyone else accomplishing the same feat.

It was one of the most Painful Escapes, I have ever been confronted with........ Never Again !

But again...It Can Be Done ! , given the proper amount of thought. an added note, an extension rod will not help in this case, But IS an asset it other areas of Escape work .

Keep Escaping

MICHAEL LEE
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hi Michael,

I believe Griffin did the same escape with the addition of the cuffs being duct tapped together.

I hope Griffin catches this and refreshes my memory.

It think it was posted by him on his defunct message board.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
The Donster, I understand what you are saying about maintaining control, but I've moved past that. If I control everything, then the challenge is gone. I enjoy being able to defeat the concerted thought and effort of the person applying and configuring the restraints as much as anything - it's physical AND mental. And, in this case, my wife enjoys the challenge of defeating my escape abilities. We are both motivated to win, which makes the challenge greater - and that's fine by us. If I were a professional, I suppose that control would be essential, but I'm not (yet?).

"Most Difficult, Painful & Dangerous , Lucky that you were doing it w/ your wife." Yes, Michael Lee, I agree - on all accounts. However, isn't this what moves the adrenalin and pushes our boundaries? These are the reasons for me, at least. And, that I was defeated by a configuration devised by my wife (friendly spousal competition is good) makes me all the more motivated to try again and again and again until I escape. Then, I'll confront whatever she thinks up next.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, guys.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
As long as it is Friendly ok. what you might want to do is think of ways your wife has not cuffed you like. and practice before she does this would mean you Might have a Advantage over her. and Good Luck Don,
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Quote:
On 2004-09-12 07:52, The Donster wrote:
"...what you might want to do is think of ways your wife has not cuffed you like. and practice before she does this would mean you Might have a Advantage over her..."

Yes, good point. I used to do this w/ the most rudimentary escapes. But, as the stakes were raised, it became too difficult, dangerous and embarrassing (I'll spare forum members the details) to practice without an "assistant" - especially since she keeps the keys (where, I do not know), which means if I can't escape on my own, I'm SOL! Plus, I prefer the challenge of operating real time and on the fly. Improvise and overcome!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Handsfree, try the same escape this time with hands in front and use a pair of leg irons each cuff to encircle both wrists and keyholes facing the together...

Thomas Solomon has also escaped from two bean giants locked face to face and broken a finger in the escape.

Ian
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Thanks, Ian. Yes, I can do what you suggested without a hitch. Especially w/ hands in front, the larger bracelets and longer chain make it much easier to solve. But, it's good practice for figuring out how to separate the cuffs and approach the locks. Not nearly as fatiguing, either. I think this is a good way to start practicing, and I can do it without an assistant. I'll hone those skills and she'll never know!
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
One method of making an extension tool is covered in the new Manzini lecture notes. You may contact him at:
MarManzini@aol.com

Good luck!
C
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Thanks, Cindi. An extension tool seems to be the unanimous choice for this escape attempt. I think it will have to be of the articulated or "sideways" variety as a straight extension will be futile - as anything as long as a standard cuff key will be.

BTW, Cindi, have you tried this particular escape?
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Hi Hands Smile
Never tried it. I am more into the Larger Items for escapes. Not a handcuff enthusiast or collector.

Have fun,
Cindi
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
Well, for an update, I was able to perform this escape with my hands in front and palms facing - thanks to a crafty Ian McColl tool. Thanks, Ian.

Behind the back, palms away....I still have my doubts, which is what makes this particular escape intriguing and worthwhile. It'll take lotsa frustration-inducing practice and learning how to use my secret weapon.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
HandsFree Congratulations keep up the good Work. may I please ask what tool it is your using. PM me if you wish. Don,
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Handsfree - For behind the back, anchor the tool you are using,(from Ian) and move the cuffs around the tool.
PM me if you want to know what to use for an anchor, and where to get it.

Riley
handsfree
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of handsfree
I'm interested, Riley. But, first, can you explain "anchoring?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » 2 Sets of Double-Locked Cuffs Behind the Back... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL