The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funny lines when spec. drops cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Spectator handles cards.
Spectator drops cards.
Spectator needs 30-60 seconds to pick cards up.

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to come up with a funny line or joke to say while the spectator picks up the cards. Right now, I use some generic lines, but I want something that relates to the cards being on the floor. I don't want to insult the spectator for being clumsy (which would be the easy way out). Hence the challenge.

Does it happen a lot to me since I ask? Oh yes. Maybe I just know how to pick them, at my table hopping job it happens at least once pr. day.

Spectators.. can't live with them, can't shoot them. Pass me the peanuts.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You can mention oh so you Decided to Play 52 Pick Up and Not Choose a Card that's Cool.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3383 Posts

Profile of Julie
"...OK, 'time for a coin trick!" Smile
Jay Fortune
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Jay Fortune
Before offering the cards to be shuffled, explain how fed up you are with people dropping your props. So whilst he is shuffling the cards explain calmly that you are therefore going to take an item close to his heart for the duration of the shuffle as a ransom.

Take his wife (not literally.)

If he drops the cards, abuse his wife as you see fit.

Of course if a lady is shuffling and drops them simply apply the same technique to her husband. A swift kick in the gonads normally ensures everyone pays close attention to your next trick.

They won't drop them again.

Must go. The prison switches off our internet connection about 9 PM on a Sunday...
Jay Fortune
Co-Host of Radio Magic
FREE magic entertainment every Monday at 8pm (GMT), 12 noon (Pacific) www.radiomagic.co.uk for further info!
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Actually that's the best shuffle I know...My brother shuffles the same way...Whip out a stopwatch and time them picking them up (if in character)...Technical difficulties...Lunch break...Everyone "take five"...Yawn...Ask everyone to sit on the floor...I get paid by the hour...Do that again...Can you make them fall "up?"...Are you embarrassed?...Point to the cards and shout, "Stay!" (Gary Darwin)

And then help them pick them up...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I agree with MRD Friday....PICK THE CARDS UP YOURSELF!

I asked them to do something for me, they dropped the cards and then I sit around cracking jokes whilsts they're on their hands and knees??!?!

I like the idea of saying "Now that's a shuffle!" to lighten the mood but get down and help them....and load a card in your sock!

:)
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Yes, Nicholas, Yes! Carpe Diem! Make a small joke to lighten the moment and then tell them it's ok..."I've dropped more cards than I can remember! Welcome to the club! Here, let me help you...it would be my pleasure." As you TAKE ADVANTAGE of the situation...Well done!
Patrick
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Excellent ideas and suggestions folks!

I'm very polite when I perform, so some of the ideas aren't suitable for me, but quite funny to read. I can't always pick up the cards myself due to several reasons:

1: The spectator has dropped all the cards over a wide area. I don't want the show to halt while I vanish below a table for a minute. Then I'll rather do a short intermezzo and let the spectators pick them up.

2: Some times, it would seem unpolite (inpolite?) if I help picking up the cards. The spectator would come out as a small kid (and I perform solely for adults).

Of course, if none of the above apply, I pick them up myself, since I can do it faster.

This happens so often that I've been thinking about having an extra deck ready. Maybe with a label "use when spectator drops cards" or something.

Your ideas has really sparked some thoughts, and I appreciate all the comments. Please keep them comming Smile
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
326 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Not sure if this is an American saying, but: "You know, I always try to floor my audience with my performance but this isn't what I had in mind."

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
Somecreative Stagename
View Profile
New user
Liberty Lake, WA
20 Posts

Profile of Somecreative Stagename
I like the idea of an "emergency deck"... kinda of a "in case of dropped cards, break glass". That would be funny and at the same time, not interupt the flow of your performance.

what about this line:

"I'm sorry, those are cards, not checks... they don't bounce"

Paul
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
I witnessed Mac King drop a couple props in his show during different performances. Every time he drops something he says "There must have been a sudden gust of gravity". It gets a laugh. I'v also heard the line "Oh don't worry about that, that's for the floor show later". You can also use "Oh pardon me, its my first day with the new fingers". Enjoy
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
"That's the way I usually shuffle them."

"How did you do that. Do you use magnets?"
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
jrbobik
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of jrbobik
You could always say wait a minute let me read your fortune (make up something like a perfect astral lay out of the crads) just like reading tea leaves. Could be a quick lead in for some mind reading.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted"
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
Is a personal style for shuffling. A little strange, but is a personal style.

I always star to pick by myself and the I stop an look to the espectator...pause, and I say "Thanks for hep me"

"You help in the same way at home, eh?"

Darío
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Patter for a spectator dropping the cards

A few from my new book:

"Thank you! But was there anything less you could have done for me?"

"Is this why your good crystal is Tupperware?"

"I didn't make as a short receiver either."

"Not everyone can hold the ball for the kicker."

"Just never been the best man have you? Wonder why?"

"Hard day on the bomb squad?"

"Amazing! And none of them went up!"

"That was a sudden gust of gravity!"

"Who waters the dog at your house?"

"Try this next time." (And hand them a box of No It Really Isn't Butter.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Here is the one I use a lot:

Gravity... It's not just a good idea... it's the law!

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funny lines when spec. drops cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL