The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magic Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2004-09-12 05:39, adamjames wrote:
Because of my character and style (arcane investigator showing objects that have powers) it is the focus of the routine, ..
Adam

Adam, I don't know if that idea is original to you or not, but either way, that's brilliant ! That is an ingenious approach to presentation. It makes me think a bit of the ol' TV series, "Friday the 13th". I used to watch that faithfully. Curious Goods indeed.
Frankly I like that even better than being a "passive" or "victim" magician, a channel if you will.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
If you're looking for the best wand available, look no further than yourself; for the best wand for a magician is the same as the best staff for a wizard: only the wizard himself can create his own wand.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In the early spring well before the Vernal Equinox, I take my students on a trek into the forest to find their wands. During the winter, the trees give up their gifts and drop them on the forest floor (no cutting of live trees!). When someone one sees a wand in a fallen branch, we say that the wand has called out to them.

Then we take back our branches and gather on the next night of the full moon to begin carving them into their final form. Each wand maker is encouraged to put a piece of himself or herself into the finished wand (a piece of hair, etc.).

The wands are only carved at night and are covered up by day until the Vernal Equinox itself. Then each wand maker, in a grand ceremony of wizards and witches, uncovers his wand in the sunlight and dedicates himself or herself to doing only good magic with the wand creation.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
aquariusmagic
View Profile
Regular user
England
122 Posts

Profile of aquariusmagic
One could, of course use an Athaeme (dagger) instead of a wand.
regards
Francis
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Can anyone give an idea how to use a magic wand? it is more of a props or sometimes it use in routine showing that it manifest some powers?
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Ohhhhh...not a simple question. Without going into the whole symbolic part and sticking to the quick and practacle, a wand is one of the best tools short of an explosion somewhere else to direct attention of spectators. You could be naked and dancing a jig, but when you whip out a wand (don't ask from where - Peter I'm leaving you an easy one) and point it at something - THAT"S where they are going to look. Period. Also, you could be palming a struggling hamster (also...don't ask) if it's in the wand hand, then that will help cover it.

There are routines that use a wand as an incidental prop, but outside this forum you won't find many - and I'm sure some of us have routines that are built around a special wand (I have 2).

Azrael

(Peter, be gentle)
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
darkleopard5
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of darkleopard5
I don't like plastic wands either, but H.P. ones looked really cool!
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I wanted to drop everyone a note about the “Harry Potter's Wand” currently being sold by Nobel Collection.

1) This is not a working wand. It isn't even a toy. It is an EXTREMELY fragile composite of wood and ceramic. The wooden piece (used as the tip of the wand) terminates within the ceramic about on inch above the handle (it does not continue through the handle). You could not have picked a weaker spot to stop the wood if you tried. Looks great but is an extremely poor design. The first day I dropped the wand onto the floor and it snapped in half.

2) I called the company and they said they sell 'collectables' and would not replace the item or refund the money.

No place in the literature does it state that this is an extremely fragile wand, subject to breakage. It is presented as “An authentic recreation of the famous wizard's wand featured in the movie”. I seriously doubt that the wand in the movie broke every time it was dropped.

I feel the company didn't provide sufficient information to make an informed decision. If I had known how fragile this item was I wouldn't have touched it with a 10' (appearing) pole.

Guarantee & Returns Policy (COPIED FROM THEIR WEB SITE)
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it within 30 days of receipt to receive a refund or exchange. Items must be sent back in original packaging. Please insure the merchandise for the full value of the item(s) for your protection since returned damaged merchandise will not be honored. Please note that shipping charges are not refundable.

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY GUESSED, I'M EXTREMLY DISSATISFIED WITH THIS PURCHASE!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2987 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I recently got two wands from an excellent artisan who came to wand crafting from a background in fine furnituremaking.

Highly recommended: http://www.FortressWands.com

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Great site, Neil...

I ordered a wand made by Master Bill Palmer himself...what a rare gem...an heriloom methinks...
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I use a 14 inch wand with red caps and for misderection and a shrink wrap around the fiber glass rod. Pictures coming soon. Its very durable and easy to spin. Costs only a few bucks too, (home made)
Tarbell!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I actually prefer the simple black/white wands. They are instantly recognizable by most folks in the audience, with no need to explain what it is. I'm presently using el cheapo hollow plastic 11" wands, which I get by the dozen from Royal Magic (Fun, Inc.). They are also available from most magic dealers.

I have a set of brass Cups & Balls, and find that they ring very nicely and loudly when struck with a plastic wand -- and with no dents or scratches in the cups, either.

But what I'd really like is a solid plastic wand, which would be a bit sturdier and heavier. At one time I had a beautiful solid catalin wand, but have lost it over the years. Anybody have any sources? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Your local plastics shop in any decent sized city will have whatever you want. I'm always amazed when I go into Nashville to Plastic Supply Co. the array of different rods, sheets and shapes available in all kinds of colors and degrees of translucency. A veritable idea factory. You'll get a ton of ideas.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sethb,

I am like you in that I prefer the traditional looking wands best. I found some solid, "lucite" wands at a magic shop years ago. I'm not sure which shop it was, but they were solid, and black in color. They had prism paper stuck around each end for the tips. I took the prism off, sanded each end a little, and painted the tips white. They have a nice, heavy feel to them and I like the way they handle.

If you don't mind the extra work of painting the tips, you might find some solid, plastic wands with the prism paper like I described.

Regan
Mister Mystery
bkelley
View Profile
New user
Abbeville, AL
6 Posts

Profile of bkelley
The Dancing Wand by Losander is an excellent choice.
http://www.losander.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4883 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Watch a online video with Losander Dancing Wand :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Iflz8IjJw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Magic Wands (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL