The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Suggestion Regarding Navigation of Site... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi....I have a small suggestion to ease the navigation of this site. Lets say someone is in the card section. Hes reading all the posts and has reached page 4. The next day he wants to resume reading where he left off. He wants to start again there. But there is not feature to choose to got to a page number directly. It only shows 1,2,3 and then 28,29,30. So we will again have to click next nearly 5 to 6 times jsut to get back to where we left off. Consider that with our internet speeds that we have to needlessly wait for eacxh page we have already read to load. For someone wanting to got to page no 10 its a harrowing task. plz give a facility to just enter the page number and go there. Thanks Guys.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Why in your example is the guy reading on page 4 and then trying to get to page 10 when he returns?

If he is loggin on the next day, and there are more than a couple of pages of posts since his log on, the few seconds time to get to the page he last visited are nothing compared to the many, many minutes he will be reading those pages (almost 20 in your example) that have occured.

In the more real world there will not be more than one page of new posts so it will be at that end of the initial click on spectrum that your destination will be.

If you find a topic which is generating more than three pages of posts in a day, please let us know.

Cheers,

Tom
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
I agree with Plainman. I have some promblems with getting to larger pages. When there is a load of pages it is hard to get to the other ones unless you keep clicking on them. I think he was just useing that as an example (called exageration - to get the point across)

Well I hope they might solve this.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hey !!! yes, you are right Micheal. I was stretching it a litle bit only to show it as a dramatic example.

Tom : Actualy its like this. Im a new user. I take great pleasure in reading through the archives of messages in a particular section. Lets say for example "Grand Illusion". Now within grand illusion. There are so many many pages to read. Now after ive got say as far as a certain number of pages. I want to continue reading from the page where I left off. I have to keep clicking next again and again and wainting for each page to load, only to click next again till I reach where I left. And the next day its going to be double the amount of clicks. Tom, just consider this a positive remark . To make your site better. Please don't take offence or think I'm trying to criticize. Far from that you guys are aleready doing a great job. I just thought this might have slipped your attention. Take care and wish you all the best.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
OK, I think I have a better grasp of your question. You are not refering to pages of posts within a single thread, you are refering to the huge list of threads on each forum.

Here you go:

Each page has 30 threads on it. Each page except the first is coded with a location which ends in a number the multiple of that same thirty.

Page two ends in 30, page three in 60, page ten ends in 300. Here is your solution:

If you want go to page 24 of some forum, click on the goto page 2 link (at the bottom of the page) It ends in "=30". Change the "=30" to "=720" and hit enter. (720 because 30x24=720)

You should be directed right to page 24.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tom

PS Have fun with "Pick A Card", which currently has 203 pages!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Suggestion Regarding Navigation of Site... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL