The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gimmick vs. Gaffe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Could someone please explain the difference between a gimmick and a gaffe? Also, their use as adjectives, i.e. a "gimmicked prop" versus a "gaffed prop"?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have heard that the difference is that a gimmick is generally an unseen aid, while a gaff is a visible object with certain unseen elements that make it not exactly what it appears to be, or more than what it appears to be.

However... I am not an expert in hair-splitting on terms here. I think that in many cases, the two words or phrases have been used interchangably to the point that regardless of which one you use, magicians will get the point of the statement. Webster's even shows cross-over definitions between the two.

Hopefully, someone out there can tighten the noose here.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Mr. Baker seems to really hit the nail on the head in his above post, but I have also noticed that the two terms are becoming incresingly interchangeable.

I'm curious, though, of the origins of the word "gaff". Anyone know where that comes from?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
From my poking around, it seems that the origin of gaffe (or gaff) as a "cheat or trick" is uncertain. However, since another meaning of it is "a large hook attached to a pole to haul in big fish," it seems that that connection would make at least for some good folk etymology, if not the real deal.
dazbaz
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dazbaz
From Websters:

gaff: Slang. A trick or gimmick, especially one used in a swindle or to rig a game.

gimmick: A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.

Seems to be interchangable !!!????
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The word gaff is also a transitive verb, as in "to gaff something", meaning to alter or rig it in some way so as to have it perform a trick or stunt.

A gaffer is a term used for an electrician or lighting director on a movie set. Gaffers rig the lights to perform a specific function.

Gaffer's tape is used for rigging any number of things.

Are we getting closer?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
@dazbaz, you made it all clear, I did not knew the difference between them also before Smile Thanks.

God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gimmick vs. Gaffe (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL